kid666

VIP Member
Jan 28, 2011
you-have-the-right-to-do-what-you-want-in-3768921.png

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
I could never connect what the National Anthem had to do with any police brutality against African Americans? and if I'm not mistaken that is what kaepernick was really protesting. I always felt it was the wrong stage and approach for what he was trying to bring attention to.

Maybe its just me but I don't think of cops or law enforcement when I think of the National Anthem.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
I definitely side with protests against fascist police state institutions. Everyone will hold to their deepest nationalistic and/or authoritarian indoctrination basically, but, it's a fact that police AND military of today's era, are simply the application of force for govt.... a govt that has grown increasingly corrupt for many decades. Kneeling as a peaceful statement of protest against abusive police behavior, taxation/extortion, the military industrial complex and illegal "wars" (invasions), and many other things, including making use of the Superbowl for military promotion at the expense of unwitting taxpayers, are all acceptable and honorable reasons for opting out of what's become flag worship over actual Freedom.
See: https://www.thoughtco.com/cost-super-bowl-flyovers-for-taxpayers-3368334

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
I think the real issue is couch potato patriots that are uncomfortable watching sportsball when some unruly negroes won't stand fer 'Merica. It causes a moral dilemma. They can't go without the sportsball, so obviously the rebellion must be quelled!
The national anthem means something to me; it's personally important. I stand in reverent silence for it whether at home or in public venue. When NFL players decided to use the anthem as a tool of protest, I stopped watching football. Simple. My right as well.
BUT
Your right to peacefully protest means something to me; it's personally important. If the NFL proper chooses to restrict a person's rights, then I will still choose to watch something else.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
This will end up in court and the policy overturned.....No one goes to a sporting event for the playing of the National Anthem....

This kneeling wasnt an issue until Orange Face made it an issue.....

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I was asked about this when it all "broke" last year.

I served and I stand as a personal choice not because it's my duty. I also would defend you in a crowd if you chose to kneel beside me.

Ignore it all. It's media hype. Who gives one fuck what the owners, coaches or athletes think. They are not on my radar in any way shape or form. My concern is with the bluster and saber rattling of our President. His personal feelings should be put aside (just like everyone is telling the "players who protest"). He should be pushing for national unity instead of fueling more animosity between sides.

It's a bit of a leap to say you hate your country because you don't stand for a song. All that good government bullshit they force fed kids in the 50's, 60's & 70's (me included) has clouded the judgment of some well meaning people who cannot fathom the idea of symbolic resistance but are "all for" symbolic support to our country.

Also it's mostly millennials (younger generation) who are dying in Iraq/Afghanistan not guys in over 40/50/60. So I don't see any of this as generational. I think it's a bunch of bullshit from both sides, a cheap parlor trick (hey look over here) to keep us "rank and file" Americans fighting each other instead of the corrupt lawyers, bankers and generals who are fucking up our country.

If you don't agree, we're still cool. If you think I don't deserve the right to have this opinion...fuck off :D

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
If you don't agree, we're still cool. If you think I don't deserve the right to have this opinion...fuck off :D
You can keep your opinion, just please put some fucking pants on. You've been in that banana hammock for the better part of a decade.

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
The NFL banned players from protesting police brutality against people of color.

Don't ya know!

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
The NFL banned players from protesting police brutality against people of color.

Don't ya know!

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
if you want to protest police brutality, fine, im all for it. BUT why do it during the National Anthem at work? maybe the nfl could have provided time prior or after the National Anthem for all who support the cause to kneel or stand and show there support.

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
The league is a private entity, and the teams are privately owned. The league and owners can run their businesses and make the rules largely as they see fit - as long as they're not violating any laws or violating players' union rights they can certainly run things as they wish.

The players' protests on the field and in uniform were obviously bad for business. The First Amendment right to protest peacefully only protects people from government retaliation against their protests, not from possible consequences of such protests in the private sector. Perhaps they would be better off protesting on their own time in front of the big city police stations they say are methodically targeting a certain segment of the population for extinction.

Of course many of us could argue whether Kaepernick and others who followed were sincere or were just seeking attention, whether they even understood the facts behind what they claimed to be protesting, and just how intelligent a US millionaire making $19 million a year to throw a football was to be wearing Castro t-shirts and claiming how much better life in Cuba under the Castros was than it is here.

Good post. I don't see anyone kneeling protesting on their own time. You are paid to do a job, do you job and do what you want on your own time.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic