Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

So what are your thoughts on the Steel and aluminum tariffs?

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
I have mixed feelings on the subject. Many other countries use this system already and charge high tariffs on imported goods so why is it an issue when the US does the same? On the other side of the coin is there a better way to create a more fair trade system with countries like China without having to do this and potentially spark a trade war?

What are your thoughts?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I have pledged to myself to stay out of political or religious threads, so I won't say I'm for or a'gin them, but . . .

seems like most people who get mentioned in the media are against them . . . including Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell.
my limited grasp of logic suggests USA steel and aluminum will gain from this, and . . .
many other USA industries may be hurt by it.

I won't even go into how it will affect international relations, that shit's way too complicated for me.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
at my work we import most our finished steel/iron goods from China......so i do not know what this will do to us...hopefully there won't be a huge impact

testboner

testboner

VIP Member
Oct 10, 2010
Plain and simple; taxation is theft. Doesn't matter that "that's the way things work." It's theft. And more theft is worse than less theft, so.....

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
All it will do is make the us production of steel and aluminum more competitive, so instead of buy ur shit over seas, u can buy it from a us manufacturing plant, who employs US citizens, who pay taxes...

That other countries can go fuck off, we are the biggest consumer in the world, they need us more than we need them..

Swiper

Swiper

VIP Member
Jan 8, 2011
The real question should be why do we need to put tariffs and steel and aluminum? why aren’t our companies competitive around the world? we should look at our taxes, rules and regulations and do some adjusting there to be more competitive worldwide

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
All it will do is make the us production of steel and aluminum more competitive, so instead of buy ur shit over seas, u can buy it from a us manufacturing plant, who employs US citizens, who pay taxes...

That other countries can go fuck off, we are the biggest consumer in the world, they need us more than we need them..

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I'm concerned about bauxite. We don't have any domestic and we need it. As a consumer of canned beer I worry about potential price increases.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
In the short term it's just going to make things more expensive for Americans.

US production will not immediately satisfy all US consumption, so in the short term you just pay more through the tariffs.

Donald is not so bright...

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with you admin, the US does need a more fair system, however since most of our stuff comes from China, I’m not sure what is the best way to proceed.

I will say I’ve been in the more, F it mode lately, meaning, it’s been this way so long, let’s see what happens with some changes.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
We import more than we export and to be honest that is not a good thing.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I may or may not be in the steel biz. Not good.

Just got a notice from my suppliers that steel prices are increasing 10%. All this will do is cause low-rise steel construction to lose market share to wood and other building methods.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic