Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

On the Rehab Road to Recovery

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
LMAO, at least I'm not complaining about my shoulder hurting. It hurts by the way, and I'm ready to take this damn immobilizer off and burn it.
Does it smell AWESOME yet? My immobilizer smelled like thre day old nutsack by about week 3.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Does it smell AWESOME yet? My immobilizer smelled like thre day old nutsack by about week 3.
LOL. I've never smelled anyone's nutsack before, so I really don't know what a three day nutsack smells like. :) I've had sinus congestion for about a week and can't smell anything too well right now. Right now I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Tuesday Rehab

My therapist said that it's time we start turning up the therapy. Started out with the pendulum swings as usual but then he added two stretching exercises. The first was a table stretch where I place my hands on a table in front of me then step back and lower my torso with arms outstretched straight. He instructed me to do 2 sets of 15 reps holding the stretch at the bottom for 5 seconds. I did 3 sets of 15 reps.
flexion_table_stand.jpg

The second stretching exercise was an external rotation using a PVC T-bar while laying on my back. Again he said for 2 sets of 15 reps holding each stretch for 5 seconds. I did 3 sets of 15 reps.
hqdefault.jpg

After I finished doing the new stretching exercises, he took over and stretched my shoulder through various ranges of motion. This session he used more pressure and stretched it harder than he has in past sessions. Afterwards 10 minutes of ice. He instructed me to do the two additional stretching exercises at home once a day for the 2 sets of 15 reps.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
No Friday workout, felt like I might be coming down with something and with the flu going around thought it best to rest and take it easy. I'm feeling better today so hopefully I'll get over this fast.

Norovirus is also going around and has similar symptoms of the flu. The flu has recently declared an epidemic here in the us which means 6.9% of the population has been affected by it during this winter season and it ain't over yet.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Tuesday Rehab

Pretty much a repeat of last Tuesday's session. I see the doctor this coming Friday for the 6 week post surgical follow-up. I've been doing well in therapy so he should let me out of the immobilizer and I should start some strength training for rehab next week.

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
First week out of the immobilizer was pretty painful for me. I figured out pretty quick that many daily motions transferred load to my injured side. It's an awesome step in the right direction though.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
The six week post-op visit went well. The X-rays showed all of the anchors still in place and holding. Doctor said that my recovery is on target and that I can come out of the immobilizer now. I kept it off for about two hours after leaving his office but then put it back on because my shoulder started hurting something awful. Later that evening I took it back off for several hours until right before going to bed. I'm going to keep wearing it at night to protect my shoulder while sleeping. This morning I've had it off for about 4 hours now and the shoulder is doing good with no pain. I'm about to head out to a big indoor Flyfishing show that is in town so I'm going to put the immobilizer back on to protect the shoulder while walking around in the crowded event center.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Been MIA because of computer issues at home. Went out and bought a new one so issue is resolved.

Rehab has been going well. Last week the Therapist added overhead pulley stretches and started me on the Arm Bike and incorporated band work into my rehab therapy. Just simply internal and external rotations using a yellow thera band for 2 sets X 20 reps. Also he added a thumbs up lateral raise where I raise my arms to shoulder height at a 45^ plane to the side with elbows straight. Two sets X 20 reps pausing at the top of each rep for 2 seconds.

Overhead Shoulder Pulley

multi_use_shoulder_pulley2.jpg

Arm Bike - This is the exact model that I'm using at the rehabilitation center

scifit-pro-1000-upeer%20cycle.jpg

Tuesday Therapy - Feb 13
Started out with pendulum swings then moved to overhead pulley stretches (I did 3 sets of 20). Afterwards I moved to the arm bike and did two minutes clockwise and then 2 minutes counter clockwise.
The therapist then did some passive stretching before having me lay face down 0n the table with my left arm hanging off the side. He then had me do a one arm dumbbell row using a one pound dumbbell for 3 sets X 10 reps. He then had me roll onto my right side and keeping my elbow tucked into my side lift my left forearm to parallel and hold for a two count before lowering my hand back to the table for 3 X 10 reps. He then had me do the thumbs up lateral raise for 2 sets before icing my shoulder for 10 minutes and calling it a day.

A

Anabolic Beast

VIP Member
Nov 16, 2010
Decided to start back in the gym this week. Keeping the weights light and just getting the body moving. Workouts will be 3 days a week focusing on lower body, abs and right shoulder and arm. Also started getting on the treadmill 40 minutes daily for some light cardio.

Monday Workout - Feb 12
Right Arm Side Lateral Raise
10lbs - 3 sets X 15

Right Arm Thumb-up Front Lateral Raise
10lbs - 3 sets X 15

Right Arm Rear Lateral Raise
10lbs - 3 sets X 15

Right Arm DB Preacher Curl
10lbs - 2 sets X 15
15lbs - 2 sets X 15

Right Arm Cable Extension
35lbs - 3 sets X 20

One Leg Calf Raise
Body Weight - 4 sets X 12

Lying Leg Curl
50lbs - 3 X 12
60lbs - 2 X 12

Seated Leg Extension
80lbs X 15
100lbs X 15
120lbs X 15

Band Supported Sissy Squat
Average Band - 3 sets X 15

Balance Ball Sit-ups
2 sets X 15 (not comfortable with my setup)

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
Decided to start back in the gym this week. Keeping the weights light and just getting the body moving. Workouts will be 3 days a week focusing on lower body, abs and right shoulder and arm. Also started getting on the treadmill 40 minutes daily for some light cardio.

Monday Workout - Feb 12
Right Arm Side Lateral Raise
10lbs - 3 sets X 15

Right Arm Thumb-up Front Lateral Raise
10lbs - 3 sets X 15

Right Arm Rear Lateral Raise
10lbs - 3 sets X 15

Right Arm DB Preacher Curl
10lbs - 2 sets X 15
15lbs - 2 sets X 15

Right Arm Cable Extension
35lbs - 3 sets X 20

One Leg Calf Raise
Body Weight - 4 sets X 12

Lying Leg Curl
50lbs - 3 X 12
60lbs - 2 X 12

Seated Leg Extension
80lbs X 15
100lbs X 15
120lbs X 15

Band Supported Sissy Squat
Average Band - 3 sets X 15

Balance Ball Sit-ups
2 sets X 15 (not comfortable with my setup)
Yes! Awesome stuff; find the edges of your capabilities and push that comfort zone.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic