Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Day Trading or Long term?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Many of the stocks I talked about here nearly 4 years ago no longer exist. A number of them were bought out or went private, and a couple here and there eventually went bankrupt.

I sold out of some of them years ago, and I greatly reduced the $ I had in energy and in more speculative holdings about a year after this thread started.

I also got completely out of Chinese stocks a couple of years ago, and have very little $ in very few of them to this day.

Another funny thing is that I've gradually added small amounts of a large number of stocks to my portfolios since then - despite my "bearishness" that evolved into an "agnostic" attitude towards the broad markets that has become "cautiously optimistic" in more recent times. :D

Google has been my largest holding for a while now, and most other holdings are significantly smaller.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Another thing I've evolved on is my opinion of index funds. I think that for the small investor with limited $, an index fund is probably better than mutual funds.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Another thing I've evolved on is my opinion of index funds. I think that for the small investor with limited $, an index fund is probably better than mutual funds.

Any Index Fund in particular? Like Vanguard maybe?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Yeah, I'd stick with the reputable names. Low cost broad market exposure is good if you don't have a ton of money, and don't have the time or inclination to pick your own stocks.

The only reservation I have re index funds is that I have found that WHEN you buy a stock and when you sell some or all of it can have a significant impact upon performance.

There are times when stocks that have done great need to not be bought anymore, and to even be partially or totally sold out of. I recently sold out of CLVS after it had gone up 700% in the 12 months prior, and I did the same with PBYI a few months ago after it shot up 150% in a month.

There are times when a stock has dipped or even done poorly for a time when it should be bought / bought heavier. I'm somewhat of a contrarian, at least short term. But of course the trend is your friend - until the end. Both approaches have merit.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic