Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Hi....need some serious help!

H

Hammerjam55

Aug 14, 2017
Hi, There

I am a 62 year old man, who has made a decision to change his life….body, mind, and soul.

I have been through a very difficult time, having been unemployed for 3 years, suffered 3 suicide attempts, and have pretty much been at the bottom of my life.

I have decided to give this life one more try. Im working on ALL areas of my life in this attempt, but my body is one area I have NEVER spent much time on, and for some reason I am compelled to make this a focus. I want to build a beautiful Physique, something I can be very proud of.

At this moment, I look kind of like a broken down little old man. I have skinny flabby arms, slight man boobs, and my body looks awful. I want to change this.

One other issue is that about 10 years ago, I had a Gastric Bypass, which, of course, means that I cannot eat the way others do. I have some concerns about this, although I do know that there have been some very successful Bodybuilders that have had the Bypass.

I am looking for support, guidance, and encouragement. This is kind of my last shot, I think, and I want to give it everything.

I have spent SOME time in the gym over the years, but I have never accomplished anything, mainly because I have never eaten properly. I have only recently learned that nutrition is perhaps 80 or even 90 percent of the training success.

So, I am asking for some help and guidance. Suggestions on programs, eating plans, etc. ANYTHING that could help put me onto the right path. You might be helping to save a life.

Thanks for your Consideration

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
May want to start with your height and weight so someone can assist you with your diet. What type of work do you do, I know it's hard to plan meals with some jobs.

Good luck and welcome to TID.

H

Hammerjam55

Aug 14, 2017
thank you lizard....im 5.7 tall, and i weigh about 190....i only work sporadically, my time is mostly mine at the moment..

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Plenty of guys your age work out. Both on this forum and what I see in the gym.

You want a good basic starter plan to start building up. Its mainly going to consist of multiple muscle group movements. You need stuff like squats, benches, deadlifts, rows, overhead presses. There's countless ways to do it, but I would start as simple as possible and CONCENTRATE ON FORM. Almost all my injuries which have led to pain and setbacks have come from bad form. Luckily these days there are plenty of videos as well as internet based coaching.

I only know a little about the gastric bypass, but you are going to want to keep your protein intake pretty high, whatever that takes. Good news there is whey shakes work for some of that protein.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I'm 53 and I will tell you the most important thing is what going on inside of your body. We need labs before any real direction can be given. We need to know your blood work, any advice given to without knowing that, is well intentioned, but not smart. I would also advise you get those legs moving on the bike for starters. nothing will make you feel better than a good endorphin buzz. I am here to help, but need that info.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I recommend walking every morning. Wake up have your morning coffee if you wish and go for a walk. Everyday. Even Sundays. This isn't part of "training" this is you mandatory minimum daily activity. This will help how you feel physically and mentally.

In addition to this I would begin easing yourself into a fitness regimen. Weight training and cardio. Remember the morning stroll is separate from your fitness routine. Think of it more as you time.

As for the fitness routine...
Are you vastly out of shape?
Do you know the basic movements like beach press and squat ect?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Get labs and a doctor's OK to exercise. Crawl, walk, run.
This is good advice. Make sure you are in good health. If not address that. Make sure blood pressure is good, maybe get your test levels checked.

A trainer could help you. Don't let them make you stand on unstable surfaces to perform exercises. Don't do things if you think they are just stupid. You want to do some basic things

Pick things up from the floor

Rotate

Squat down and back up

Push something over head

Being strong in those areas will improve your quality of life and longevity

While working on those things you want to do plenty of cardiovascular exercises. As a former fat guy and as you age you gotta take care of your heart.

If possible pick up a hobby sport like softball or basketball.

Do you have any complications from before the gastric surgery? Diabetic?

If not your diet can be very simple. Hit all the food groups and just eat reasonable quantities.

For breakfast some eggs, potatoes or oats and some fruit.

Lunch have a sammich and some veggies

Dinner a small steak and some rice and veggies.

Throw in a couple snacks here and there. Fruits, nuts, jerky or whatever.

Supplements are not needed unless you are deficient somewhere. A protein powder might be ok if you want the convenience or literally have difficulty eating enough food to gain muscle.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Welcome to TID, and I think you've made a good decision to get in shape. You are correct that meeting your ultimate goal of an excellent physique will include both training and nutrition. Just remember, this lifestyle is a marathon, not a sprint. Be patient, and get started with the basics and establish good habits with both your training and eating.

You need food to grow and to keep your metabolism going. Just keep the food healthy food. You've gotten good advice here. I agree that walking every day is an excellent start, and that cycling is a great way of getting aggressive cardio in without beating up your knees and hips. While I like to use free weights at this stage of my training, using machines aren't a bad idea to start out, as it helps to avoid injury, and you can push yourself a little harder if you're by yourself and don't have a spotter or training partner.

You definitely want to train your legs (quads, hamstrings and calves) once a week, maybe hit chest and back same day once a week, biceps/triceps on same day once a week, and shoulders once a week. Through some ab exercises in 2-3X per week, and then do light cardio warm up on those days, and do some more aggressive cardio on your other days.

chestrockwell420

chestrockwell420

MuscleHead
Oct 9, 2012
welcome to TID. great advice above. all i can add is read! read these forums! there is a ton of good info here and personally over the years i have found motivation from reading forums with great folks such as this one. good luck to you friend

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
welcome to TID

first off I can say is rem who u are
set a goal
be who u are ---make what u want
we all struggle

get a support group ---hang with friends and u don't have many ---go out and make them
easier said than done I know---I tend to be solo but that's my choice and also the life?job I had

start off like above ---doctor--and work into it
rem things don't happen over night
u have to put in to get what you want

we are here to listen and support
I will always help---you get to that edge ---hit me up---ill drive out to pull u from the edge

heck go for a hike----u would be amazed what a long walk can do for you
read the good book---which ever you call the good book

take a pic of yourself---after a mth or more take another to compare

also this is NOT your last shot
set goals ---goals you can reach
like something simple

db overhead presses for example ---I never thought I would be able to bump out 10 reps with 100
I started at 40 for 2 weeks went to 50 and so on

find food that you like

but to me ---I would start by getting out ---hike or walk
try farther every time

I hit a local park here after pins being put in my foot ---on the 2nd trip I met a local VET who was in same boat ---now we meet every 2nd Saturday for a hike ---his son came last time --and this weekend there will be 5 of us

Semper FI

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!

ITA

Iron-Game

Iron-Game

Mar 27, 2012
Hi, There

I am a 62 year old man, who has made a decision to change his life….body, mind, and soul.

I have been through a very difficult time, having been unemployed for 3 years, suffered 3 suicide attempts, and have pretty much been at the bottom of my life.

I have decided to give this life one more try. Im working on ALL areas of my life in this attempt, but my body is one area I have NEVER spent much time on, and for some reason I am compelled to make this a focus. I want to build a beautiful Physique, something I can be very proud of.

At this moment, I look kind of like a broken down little old man. I have skinny flabby arms, slight man boobs, and my body looks awful. I want to change this.

One other issue is that about 10 years ago, I had a Gastric Bypass, which, of course, means that I cannot eat the way others do. I have some concerns about this, although I do know that there have been some very successful Bodybuilders that have had the Bypass.

I am looking for support, guidance, and encouragement. This is kind of my last shot, I think, and I want to give it everything.

I have spent SOME time in the gym over the years, but I have never accomplished anything, mainly because I have never eaten properly. I have only recently learned that nutrition is perhaps 80 or even 90 percent of the training success.

So, I am asking for some help and guidance. Suggestions on programs, eating plans, etc. ANYTHING that could help put me onto the right path. You might be helping to save a life.

Thanks for your Consideration
Welcome brutha and keep coming back

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic