Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Epic Fail this weekend in competition...

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Competed in the RPS NY State PL Meet yesterday; this day did NOT go as planned for me.

It was my last meet in my 40's as I turn 50 on Friday. I really wanted a total in the 1,570-1,580 range with a 600 plus squat and dead. My last meet in April I went 610/325/600 for a 1,535 total.

I felt good during my squat warmups. Better than usual. Plan was to open with 580, then 605 2nd and end with a 625 PR.

Opened with 580. 3 green lights. No issues.

605 second attempt, unracked and wobbled a bit. Re-racked. Took a breath, unracked again. OK, good. Descent was fine. Started coming up and POP! I pulled a muscle in my groin area. Went down like a sack of potatoes and could not get up. Fuck me I was lying on the platform like a fish in a boat unable to move for what seemed like forever. Mrs Flex came running over, Gene (meet Director/owner of RPS) was hovering over me. Fuck it was a nightmare. I could not move or sit up or anything for what seemed like forever. Gene and one of the judges removed my belt and knee wraps while I was lying there. Finally was able to gain my composure and get up and walk off the platform by myself, although in agony. Queue in Ovation from the crowd.

Holy Fuck.

Didn't know what to do, but for sure no more squats, obviously.

I couldn't sit down because it kept cramping up on me.

I felt like I might be able to bench. I told Ame (Gene's wife) that I would see how things go and she was cool.

Warming up for bench I was fine except it was agony getting up off the bench. I went 3 for 3 on bench with 315/325/335; my best meet bench yet.

When Mrs Flex was warming up for deads I did a quick set and it felt OK. So then I was thinking I'd be fine. My opener was set at 580.

But when it was my turn to warm up for deads I pulled 225 for 2 reps and I thought I was going to collapse again. Some dude looked at me and was like "Are you ok?". I said "No".

I told Ame I couldn't deadlift but I didn't want to drop out of the meet. I asked if I could do a token lift and she said that the first lift of the next flight was 255 and she would let me do that so I did.

Embarrassing as fuck but she announced I was injured which I thought was nice.

So I ended up with 580/335/255 for an 1,170 total. Christ.

Mrs Flex opened with 235 on squats and I called her depth but the depth Nazis were out in full force and I guess I am blind so she got 2 red lights on her opener. She came back to get it again after I called her depth again but deeper then she ground out 245 for a meet PR.

Bench she opened with 125 no issues but 135 got stuck 3/4 the way up. Fuuuuuu. She tried it again with the same results. Bummer.

Deads she opened with 250 then 270 both lifts looked like warmups. 3rd attempt was 285 and it was slow but perfect.

So she got a 10lb PR on squats and a 15lb PR on deads and a 15lbs meet PR.

Love this woman more than I can express in words.

TL;DR: Mrs Flex is awesome and I need to hang up my belt.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Well, congrats to Mrs. And your bench, esp with the injury. I injured my groin 3 weeks ago and while not nearly as severe as yours, it limits EVERYTHING. here's hope for a speedy recovery and continued success.

OT, how has training with the fat pad affected your bench? Does it limit you when going back to the competition bench?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How was your salt intake? Cramping can many times be fixed with that. Many don't realize how important salt is.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well, congrats to Mrs. And your bench, esp with the injury. I injured my groin 3 weeks ago and while not nearly as severe as yours, it limits EVERYTHING. here's hope for a speedy recovery and continued success.

OT, how has training with the fat pad affected your bench? Does it limit you when going back to the competition bench?

The Fat Pad is similar to the pad used in a meet. Those narrow, knife like shitty bench pad are different.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
What time do you want me to come over and rub the icy hot on your inner groin area?

Did what you could with an injury, good job. Would have thought your bench would have been higher at your size, maybe I asked that already though, i'm getting old.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Had the same exact thing happen to me during a max out training event. Luckily I was in a mono with safety straps. I was able to rack it. The next day, I was black and blue from my lower abdomen to my balls. Freaked out, I went to the ortho doc. As assumed it was a tear. Took a while for it to heal. Luckily, no surgery was opted for and it did heal. The biggest thing I have learned is the importance of warming up and the fact I'm not 18 y/o anymore. I just learned I have to warm up more, take a different approach and continue with mobility and stretching. Hopefully, you heal up and get right back in there.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Had the same exact thing happen to me during a max out training event. Luckily I was in a mono with safety straps. I was able to rack it. The next day, I was black and blue from my lower abdomen to my balls. Freaked out, I went to the ortho doc. As assumed it was a tear. Took a while for it to heal. Luckily, no surgery was opted for and it did heal. The biggest thing I have learned is the importance of warming up and the fact I'm not 18 y/o anymore. I just learned I have to warm up more, take a different approach and continue with mobility and stretching. Hopefully, you heal up and get right back in there.

Hawkeye makes a very good point. I take 10 min to warm up before I even begin to get under a bar to start my warm up weights. Banded walks (forward, backwards, and lateral), goblet squats, glute bridges, box jumps, and after I start with 135 warm up.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Good luck with that groin

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Here's vids of my 580 opener, 605 fail, and my 335 bench. Yes my bench is shit and always has been.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Hawkeye makes a very good point. I take 10 min to warm up before I even begin to get under a bar to start my warm up weights. Banded walks (forward, backwards, and lateral), goblet squats, glute bridges, box jumps, and after I start with 135 warm up.

I was really surprised by how many of the lifters at my meet went straight to the bar without warming up prior...I can't remember the last time I dealt with an injury, which is strange territory for me, but most of it is due to better warmups.

Hope you're back to 100% quickly big guy...kudos for digging deep and finishing.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic