Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Routine Feedback and a Cardio Question

M

Madmerce

May 1, 2017
Bear with me guys, this is gonna be a long one.

My dude helped me put together a four day split that I'd like a little feedback on if possible. Rep ranges vary for me between 8 and 12, my goal between is to increase the overall volume I'm lifting between each session. My goals are really aesthetic, but I understand I need a solid strength foundation to start with to accomplish said aesthetic goals. I've always been slender but skinny fat, now I'm trying for a built upper body and the biggest legs and butt possible. Obviously everyone wants to be lean; I'm trying to mitigate my water retention and fat gain as I put muscle on. I'm eating at maintenance for my activity level. Protein/carb/fat ratio goals around 50/25/25, but I use them as flexible guides. I aim for a minimum of 200g protein, everything else varies.

I try to lift as much as possible while maintaining good form. I typically lift weights four afternoons/nights a week, take a night off, and repeat.

Not sure if stats are relevant, but if it helps:
26, female, 5'9", 150lbs

Current measurements: in inches: Waist 27.5, Chest 32.5, Hips 40, Quads 23, Biceps 11

Lifts are approximately as follows:
Squat: 155-ishx8
Deadlift: 155x6
Chest press (machine): 85x10-12
Dumbbell shoulder press: 25x10

Day 1: Chest + Shoulders: I typically focus on shoulders, with just enough chest work to (what I hope) assist in shoulders/triceps. I'm female, and I've read (not in depth) that chest development can interfere with the way breast implants sit. I'm about a month away from my first consult, and would rather not change my chest except under a doctor's orders.

-Dumbbell shoulder press 3x8-12
-smith machine shoulder press 3x8-12
-dumbbell lateral raise 3x8-12
-dumbbell front raises or upright rows 3x8-12
-cable reverse flys or reverse pec deck or dumbbell bent over delt raise 3x8-12 (sometimes moved to back day when I'm short on time)
-smith machine or dumbbell incline chest press 3x8-12
-some type of chest press (usually plate loaded) 3x8-12
-cable or machine flys 3x8-12

Day 2: Quads+Glutes
-barbell squat or leg press 4x8-12
-RFE/split squat 4x8-12
-cable glute kickback 3x8-12
-hip abductor 2x20
-leg extension 2x20

Day 3: Bis/Tris
-overhead rope extension 4x8-12
-cable bicep curls 4x8-12
-tricep pushdowns 4x8-12
-hammer curls 4x8-12
-assisted dips 2x20
-preacher curls 2x20

Day 4: Back/Hamstrings (I know back and biceps should have some time apart if not done together but I feel like my back workouts are better when my biceps aren't contributing so much)
-deadlift 4x6
-Assisted pull ups 3x8-12
-bent over rows 3x8-12
-lat pulldown, medium grip, or plate loaded variant 3x8-12
-cable seated rows or t bar rows 3x8-12
-cable straight arm pushdowns 3x8-12
-Romanian deadlifts or glute ham raise 3x8-12
-lying leg curl 3x8-12

I do calves or abs pre-cardio, abs are 3x8-12 of weighted crunches followed by ball crunches to failure 2x. Calves are standing and seated raises, 3x8 heavy and lighter 2x failure. Each group gets worked at least 1x a week, sometimes 2x.

Thoughts? I used to do a PPL split but i have a hard time getting a felt like I couldn't get a solid full workout in a reasonable amount of time. This split seems to give me a little more focus time on parts that I think need more attention. I'm also doing cardio between 40 and 50 minutes about 4x a week, either rowing, incline treadmill, or on a stair master, almost always fasted. LISS, sipping aminos, after taking carnitine and a fat burner or caffeine.

My cardio question is this: should the workout I plan for the afternoon/evening dictate the cardio I do in the morning? For example, should I avoid rowing for cardio in the morning if I'm doing back at night? No stair master on quad/glute day?

I'm open to any comments or criticism, and am thankful for any additional knowledge y'all can give me. Sorry for the wall of text, though I'd rather give you too much info than not enough.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Looks pretty solid. I personally dont like dividing up legs so much, but lots of people do. It's what ever works for you and what you feel comfortable with.
I also dont really care for doing arm specific days sequentially before back, chest or shoulders. The reason being a pre exhausted arm makes for weaker major lifts IE presses or pulls , as your arm muscles arent supporting the lift as much. Again that my opinion lots of people dont care. Honestly with the diving of the legs the way he's done it thats probably a fine option.
Only other thing is as you move along like in a month or two maybe add some more sets. I am guessing he's going to rework the program every 2-3 months from the looks of it.

Seems solid. Good luck!

M

Madmerce

May 1, 2017
Looks pretty solid. I personally dont like dividing up legs so much, but lots of people do. It's what ever works for you and what you feel comfortable with.
I also dont really care for doing arm specific days sequentially before back, chest or shoulders. The reason being a pre exhausted arm makes for weaker major lifts IE presses or pulls , as your arm muscles arent supporting the lift as much. Again that my opinion lots of people dont care. Honestly with the diving of the legs the way he's done it thats probably a fine option.
Only other thing is as you move along like in a month or two maybe add some more sets. I am guessing he's going to rework the program every 2-3 months from the looks of it.

Seems solid. Good luck!

Thanks man, much appreciated.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Sometimes less is more. 8 lifts in 1 training session? How much effort do you think you'll be able to put in those last lifts?

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sometimes less is more. 8 lifts in 1 training session? How much effort do you think you'll be able to put in those last lifts?
What I was thinking esp if your putting in a solid lift per rep at a good tempo

And since ur looking into more thickness
Maybe a lower rep range 8-10
Prob I see with 8-12
Is a mind set
Pick 8 or 10 or 12

Not a range
Go in at a good weight to lift for you

Now it's just me

By the time I get to set 3-4 I want to have a hard time to getting to my rep of 8

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
Why the assisted dips are so late in your training session. I think dips are not efficient if they are not done with max effort. I think you are able to them with minimal effort at that stage of your training day. I just don't see those dips serving any purpose or function on your routine. But please tell what is the purpose and also I would like to hear experienced bodybuilders opinion on this one. I think you are lifting weight that could cause injuries if you have done all those other exercise before start doing those dips.

M

Madmerce

May 1, 2017

Oh I definitely feel taxed towards the end of my workout. I was under the impression that isolation/accessory lifts should be put in toward the end of a workout, and I intended to completely work each muscle completely in each workout with these at a lighter weight (i.e. Front, lateral, and posterior delts after a few presses). do you think I'm better off rotating these on a regular basis in order to keep my workouts shorter?

M

Madmerce

May 1, 2017
What I was thinking esp if your putting in a solid lift per rep at a good tempo

And since ur looking into more thickness
Maybe a lower rep range 8-10
Prob I see with 8-12
Is a mind set
Pick 8 or 10 or 12

Not a range
Go in at a good weight to lift for you

Now it's just me

By the time I get to set 3-4 I want to have a hard time to getting to my rep of 8

Got it. Thanks man.

M

Madmerce

May 1, 2017
Why the assisted dips are so late in your training session. I think dips are not efficient if they are not done with max effort. I think you are able to them with minimal effort at that stage of your training day. I just don't see those dips serving any purpose or function on your routine. But please tell what is the purpose and also I would like to hear experienced bodybuilders opinion on this one. I think you are lifting weight that could cause injuries if you have done all those other exercise before start doing those dips.

My intention was to put assisted dips in as a burnout exercise, strictly assisted, to get a good pump in towards the end. Sounds to me like dips are too strenuous to do late in my workout. Think it's better to throw those in early and do burnouts with, say, a cable exercise?

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
My intention was to put assisted dips in as a burnout exercise, strictly assisted, to get a good pump in towards the end. Sounds to me like dips are too strenuous to do late in my workout. Think it's better to throw those in early and do burnouts with, say, a cable exercise?

Yes, that's why i meant. It's strenous for me, and it's difficult to do it as isolating exercice for triceps. I think it's easy to start cheating on that and start using chest and shoulders to press if you are trying to do burnout exercise, or that would probably happen to me

M

Madmerce

May 1, 2017
Yes, that's why i meant. It's strenous for me, and it's difficult to do it as isolating exercice for triceps. I think it's easy to start cheating on that and start using chest and shoulders to press if you are trying to do burnout exercise, or that would probably happen to me

Thanks for the feedback. I'll swap em out with something earlier in my workout.

IronBreez

IronBreez

Aug 3, 2017
You're welcome, and remember to do good warm up if you switch those dip to max effort. Good luck and please tell how did it feel.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic