Members
Latest Member
pbtom

What Type Of Program To Run Next?

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
PL Watch coach of the year means less than nothing........ but Swede's programming is good. It's really similar to my combination of Frantz and Westside.

The end game isn't to move on to another boxed program though.... the next step is to either learn the systems that these programs use and start programming for yourself OR get direct programming meant for you from a good coach.

I'm not sure what Swede charges but I've seen a few of my raw and RAW buddies do really well with it.
My wife did REALLY well using Laura Phelps' programming - she offers it for $35 or so a month through WODFollow and it's really good. Her and Shane know programming better than anyone (other than Louie).
The Lilliebridges offer programming and it's very basic but works really well. I've seen a lot of lifters make huge gains from it.
Or, look up Clay Brandenburg from Detroit Barbell. He coached Phelps before she went to Westside, he had a 931 bench back when that was the #1 spot, and has coached countless monsters. A friend of mine is getting programming from him and it's really good. Clay is one of the few guys I'll make the 6+ hour trip out to go and train with when I need someone to coach me beyond what my team can do.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks Porky for the reply.

I think I'm gonna run 3/5/1, then maybe try conjugate.

Where can I read more about RPE training?

The discussion about your own programming has come up before and I don't have a clue how to program my own training.

So far I've responded best to 5/3/- and 3/5/1.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Thanks Porky for the reply.

I think I'm gonna run 3/5/1, then maybe try conjugate.

Where can I read more about RPE training?

The discussion about your own programming has come up before and I don't have a clue how to program my own training.

So far I've responded best to 5/3/- and 3/5/1.

Yeah, Wendler's stuff is good..... Conjugate takes some time to learn but it's a really great system.

RPE is used by a few guys, mostly 10-20-life. I'm familiar with it but it's bullshit unless you have an experienced eye on you to help or you're already experienced. A newer guy can't really judge exertion that well because there are so many other factors that contribute to how a set goes.

If you're going to work with an online coach I'd recommend Swede, Lilliebridge, or Laura Phelps.
If you want to read a manual and program from it you'll do better with Westside or Wendler than RPE.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, Wendler's stuff is good..... Conjugate takes some time to learn but it's a really great system.

RPE is used by a few guys, mostly 10-20-life. I'm familiar with it but it's bullshit unless you have an experienced eye on you to help or you're already experienced. A newer guy can't really judge exertion that well because there are so many other factors that contribute to how a set goes.

If you're going to work with an online coach I'd recommend Swede, Lilliebridge, or Laura Phelps.
If you want to read a manual and program from it you'll do better with Westside or Wendler than RPE.

Thanks man, I think I might order the 5th set book. I'm gonna look at a couple more and then decide.

K

kodylk08

May 29, 2013
Has your progress slowed or stopped using 531? I made the mistake of going away from 531 while I was still making good progress and I regretted it after about a month. If 531 is working and you are getting bored or just want to change things up I would just pick a different 531 template to run. Just my opinion.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Has your progress slowed or stopped using 531? I made the mistake of going away from 531 while I was still making good progress and I regretted it after about a month. If 531 is working and you are getting bored or just want to change things up I would just pick a different 531 template to run. Just my opinion.

I wasn't making any progress.I changed to the conjugate for raw. But then had to take time off from the gym for about 4 months.

Now I'm trying to just ease my way back in. I've been running 5/3/1, but I think I'm just going to play around with some different stuff.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic