Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

All you need to know diet & supps!

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
Basic Diet info, I know a lot of people struggle with this, so hopefully this helps those who are out!

Mind Set towards dieting- everything needs to be set in a “long term” or a very gradual process. Anything that is done fast it comes with sacrifice. Last thing you want to do is sacrifice hard earned muscle or carry much more fat just in order to chase a number on the scale. When dieting it should be as slow as 1lb per week at the fastest pace to allow your body to adjust, keep hormone levels stable, prevent muscle breakdown for energy, and to preserve energy so you can workout harder and longer.

When attempting to put on quality mass it needs to be the exact opposite. Focus on increasing calories slowly and giving your body time to adjust so that you use most or the excess calories to your benefit vs
being stored as fat so you would think maybe gaining 1lb every 2 weeks as a goal.

How I do things-Now all this info im giving does not exactly pertain to some of us. It is easier for some to maintain a good “off season weight” without closely tracking macros or calories. If I am not dieting for anything specific I generally eat the same amounts of foods daily then when weight drops I just add in a few extra cheat meals or add to meals I already have to get myself back up. This is how I do things not everyone else and for the most part all my foods are nutrient dense and high quality sources. If you find you tend to gain weight easily or it is jumping all over the place it might be a good idea to track what you are taking in daily and monitor.

Starting point of trying to build or diet down- first you will need to track the amount of calories needed to maintain weight. How this is done is eating like you normally would do but track how many calories it is and keep it the same for 2 weeks. This can be easily done by using an app such as Myfitnesspal. For
example= I track all my calories on a normal day and it comes out to 2800 calories. I then run this
amount of calories for 2 weeks and if my weight does not change it is a good starting point. If it drops I
will prop start a diet 200 or 300 calories above this base. If I gain weight I might start 100 or 200 calories
below.

*If your goal is to loose weight- I always suggest having (high) day and (Low) days. The purpose of the high day is to consume more calories to keep energy up and to sort or refuel you for the next few
workouts. The purpose of the low days is to get you in a calorie deficit to burn fat. After two weeks of finding your base calories to maintain weight you will take away 100 calories and it will be considered your (low) day for example 2800 – 100=2700. So I use this number as my low days. This amount of calories will be consumed for an entire week but 1 day. The one day you are not on a low day will be a high day preferably on the hardest training day such as legs or back. Using 2800 calories as a base I would simply add 300 calories and consider it a high day number so 3100 and consume this many 1 day per week. Then its easy after that you run these numbers for 2 weeks then weigh yourself. If weight drops you don’t change anything and when it stays the same you simple reduce 100calories from each
and keep going. Still with me?

For example 2700 (low) 3100(high) for 2 weeks and I lost 1lb I don’t change, 2 weeks later I do not lose weight I go to 2600 (low) 3000(high).

*Gaining weight- With gaining weight you want to do the exact opposite and can even go slower like 5 Choosing what macros- basic macronutrients are your protein, carbs, and fats. I personally have found you get more bang for your buck keeping the majority of your calorie intake with protein and carbs.

Protein of course is to rebuild and repair muscle and carbs is a very efficient source or energy. Fats will tgen give you a more sustainable energy or slow burning. So typically 1.5 g per bodyweight for protein
and then keep fats around 50 to 80g per day and then fill the rest of calories with carbs. I suggest sticking with high fibrous carbs such as brown rice, sweet potato, oats. Proteins-chicken, salmon, turkey,
flank steak, tuna, egg whites, and of course your whey proteins.

Supplements- Don’t get caught up in the hype with what supplement brands are popular with joe cool in the gym or the “next” best thing. I find 90% of it is straight advertisement and money makers when all you need is basic shit.
-Protein- I tend to go with MTS Whey, Core Nutritionals Whey-you get what you buy and they do not do protein spiking which is basically put fillers and claim it as protein. There are other companies that are
good but honestly I just stick between the two of these. Post workout and good just to add to reg food to get protein intake up.
-BCAAs- Should always have a good BCAA to sip on throughout the day such as core nutritionals core
ABC, or scivation extend is good.- I typically do 1-2 scoops during workout and 1 to 2 during the day
-creatine monohydrate- I make sure I have 5g before and after workouts. I typically get core nutrtionals
plain creatine monohydrate. Just add it to my shake.
-Pre workout- basically are big mental sellers for kids but can have some good qualities. I don’t get too
particular with these but just use them if you feel you need the extra energy.
Workout nutrition-I am a big fan of getting sugar in around my workouts. I typically drink 60g of carbs in a Gatorade during a workout to keep me full mixed with BCAAs. I then have protein powder and 5 g
creatine after.

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
* The supplements are just my opinion, every one has their own go to's.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
sounds good to me....what about partioning, do u recommend?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
This is a good article on partitioning, if your body does good with it go for it.

That article isn't great. It goes in to nutrient timing, which has largely been debunked, and it hits on a few other areas where the author is making some generations. It's like the author kind of knows, but doesn't really.

There is a chance that the author makes these generalizations because you have to be careful what you say to your audience. Readers can create gross interpretations and run with them. OTOH, that's usually not the case and the authors are usually just following the industry "standards" of misunderstanding certain key elements.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Shortz, can u point out where author is in error, please?

MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach

Jul 20, 2017
Let me rephrase from good article to decent. Im not educated in partitioning, I came across this article a few weeks ago and thought it was interesting.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic