Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

It's not looking too hot for the first orange president

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
A quick comment, did Obama even have any assets to put into a trust? Again we are talking about someone young who rose up the political ladder pretty quickly and from what I know didnt have a great deal of assets. Comparing Trumps assets to Obamas seems to me like comparing apples to oranges....

Carry on.....

Hey HGH, just an FYI, Obama did not put his assets into a blind trust, as did Bush (W) and Clinton. There's nothing "illegal" about not doing so, it just causes issues with the appearance of conflicts of interest. Forbes has a good article on it, which I think is pretty even-handed.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennif...decessors-did-with-their-assets/#1ed0c8f229c0

Trump is a drama queen, and it bugs me. But I do think that he's right on the big things. For example, he's forcing a conversation on immigration that no one was willing to discuss before. Wanting to have some control over immigration does not make someone a racist. We're finally discussing it, and we'll either draft new law and enforce it or enforce what we presently have. But simply ignoring the present law is not correct.

Second, something had/has to be done with Obamacare. Various state exchanges are collapsing, insurance rates are rising, and the coverage people are getting through the exchanges is so crappy that people aren't using it. (i.e., high deductible plans that is inducing people to simply not go to the doctor). Something is ultimately going to pass, and if Hillary had won, they would have kept the failing Obamacare structure and tried to funnel more money into it. Third, tax reform. Both personal and corporate tax codes are abominations. Anything that can simplify the tax code is good for all Americans. I think taxes should be cut, but I'm OK with tax reform that is revenue neutral, as that will still serve to stimulate economic growth. Lastly, judicial nominations. Appointing judges that will follow the law (whether the law is a liberal or conservative policy), and not legislate from the bench.

Everything else is just noise to me. If he executes on those things, which he is making progress on, he'll be a success.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
A quick comment, did Obama even have any assets to put into a trust? Again we are talking about someone young who rose up the political ladder pretty quickly and from what I know didnt have a great deal of assets. Comparing Trumps assets to Obamas seems to me like comparing apples to oranges....

Carry on.....

Hey FD, I totally agree that comparing assets of the two is like apples and oranges. However, Obama had written two books about himself before he'd even become President, and was worth millions (not many, but not bad for a community organizer). Having $5-10M of assets not in a blind trust can result in the same potential of conflicts of interest. However, I'm sure the NYT and WaPo have a team of people looking at Trump 24/7 to see potential conflicts, so it's not like he'll be able to fly anything under the radar.

The problem for Trump is that his name is the brand for much of his resorts, buildings, etc. So he faces a quandary that other Presidents didn't have to deal with. I think there are plenty of things to criticize him about, but he handled this issue about as well as he possibly could, IMO.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
@FlyingDragon... your my boy and all... but your really really riding the line of hypocrisy. you have mentioned conspiracy theorists on the right, yet you continue to propagate conspiracy theories on Trump. You cant have it both ways my friend... or is it a case in which the conspiracies you believe are true... and those the "wack jobs" on the right believe are simply ludicrous?

Is it possible that the DNC are simply trying this "Russian collusion" theory as a smoke screen for something else? Why have we suddenly forgotten the Clinton Email Scandal... and why is no one looking into the mysterious death of Seth RIch??? can you help me on that one? or do you even remember him? before you reply look him up...

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
@FlyingDragon... your my boy and all... but your really really riding the line of hypocrisy. you have mentioned conspiracy theorists on the right, yet you continue to propagate conspiracy theories on Trump. You cant have it both ways my friend... or is it a case in which the conspiracies you believe are true... and those the "wack jobs" on the right believe are simply ludicrous?

Is it possible that the DNC are simply trying this "Russian collusion" theory as a smoke screen for something else? Why have we suddenly forgotten the Clinton Email Scandal... and why is no one looking into the mysterious death of Seth RIch??? can you help me on that one? or do you even remember him? before you reply look him up...

No. the democrats aren't leading the charge on this investigation.

James Comey is a lifelong Republican (until recently switching to Independent).
Robert Mueller, who's leading the investigation, is a lifelong Republican.
Rod Rosenstein, who appointed Mueller, is a Republican, and was appointed by Trump and confirmed by the Republican senate.

This isn't a democrat issue. We're not in charge.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013

Carry on.....

Obama had a comparatively small amount of assets and he moved his money into US Treasury Bonds, which is better than a blind trust. A) because his money was then completely transparent to all Americans and B) there are no conflicts of interest when your money is held is Treasury Bonds.

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010

Not going both ways, just stating what I see. I am neither on the left or the right, I am in the middle. When your in the middle u can clearly see what each side is doing or not doing. When your on the left or the right u only see what u want to see....

Seth Rich is all Sean Hannity talks about these days, again another example of propaganda from the far right. Why not investigate the deaths of the spies we had in China? Again someone murdered who worked at the DNC doesnt lead one to believe it was anything other than a random act of violence....But if someone in the Trump white house wants to investigate it, go ahead. I have no issue with investigations.....

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
NARRATIVE AND AGENDA:
If it fits the narrative and/or the agenda of the LEFT or RIGHT, it will be all you hear about from the standard political commentators and news channels that tilt Left or Right.

I will submit the following concerning Trump's actions thus far: He has but one filter - "Is it good for America FIRST?" Whether or not what he proposes and does is in the long-term best interest of the USA can only be seen in the future - and we are not there yet. We have done things globally for decades that are costly to the USA because "we could afford it." This is no longer true.

This "America First" position is very foreign to generations of politicians in the DEEP STATE. The "global view" has been forced upon us for a couple of generations and Trump is fighting a system that has layered itself with protections that ensure its survival. I am thrilled he is trying to take down the beast but I do not know if he will be successful. To show leadership, for example, such as withdrawing from the Paris Climate deal while at the same time dealing with North Korea is difficult to say the least. It is a 180 degree change in projection of power by the USA from the previous administration in many ways.

Finally, anyone that believes Trump is in this for name, fame, or money is wrong in my humble opinion. Anyone with any money or reputation that reads this needs to run for office - but do not sell your soul to your donors. See how far it gets you. Trump is finding out. "The Donald" was loved and admired by Hollywood and Washington, DC - until he ran for office and threatened to slow the advancement of their respective agendas.

Have a great day!

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Obama had a comparatively small amount of assets and he moved his money into US Treasury Bonds, which is better than a blind trust. A) because his money was then completely transparent to all Americans and B) there are no conflicts of interest when your money is held is Treasury Bonds.
Obama had way less money when compared to Trump (no surprise) and way more compared to Nixon. He also owns some high value realestate. US Bonds when you are in control of the Oval Office could be considered a conflict of interest, but he actually tanked bonds in favor of Wall Street, though he's been reaping that payoff on the speaking circuit ;-)

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Of the most recent modern former Presidents, Obama came into office as one of the least wealthiest....

Owning ultra conservative US Government Bonds should be a conflict of interest? R u serious? Should we go to China and buy back all the US Debt they own as well so there is no conflict? That is just silly. U might have a valid point if Obama owned Government Debt from a foreign country, that could be looked as a conflict but I doubt many others would agree that a few bonds owned by a President of any country would be considered a conflict. Its not like he held a massive amount of bonds in any company or country.

As far as real estate, a house on the south side of Chicago would not be considered "high value" by many. Yes he recently closed on a house in DC earlier this week worth millions but so what. Should he live in trailer park? I dont get why people criticize how he earns a living or where he lives.

All past Presidents make an income by selling books, giving speeches, this is nothing new....He was a popular President and people are willing to pay him to read his books or listen to him speak. Again what is he doing wrong? Oh thats right, nothing different from past former Presidents. Some on the right clearly hate the past President and will say anything to create an argument....He is enjoying life and could care less what those on the far right have to say.....

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Of the most recent modern former Presidents, Obama came into office as one of the least wealthiest....
He was still a multi-millionaire. Saying he had less millions than some other guy doesn't really break my heart.

Nixon was probably the only middle class guy in my lifetime. Not sure where like Ike was but I doubt he was very rich either. Before that I think you'd have to go back to the 19th century.

owning ultra conservative US Government Bonds should be a conflict of interest?
If Trump bought bonds in Trump Corp of which he is CEO would that be a conflict of interest? Definitely something the SEC would force him to disclose publically.

I dont get why people criticize how he earns a living or where he lives.
Just exposing the hypocrisy of people criticizing Trump for what he has or where he lives.

Last edited:
FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
He was still a multi-millionaire. Saying he had less millions than some other guy doesn't really break my heart.

Nixon was probably the only middle class guy in my lifetime. Not sure where like Ike was but I doubt he was very rich either.

Doesnt break my heart either, I only care about my own wealth....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic