Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Ketosis?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
So, decided to go into ketosis for a bit...My question is to only those who have experienced ketosis first hand and have been in it for longer than 3 months..

I want to try for 6 months...Now, I've been in ketosis for brief amounts of time thro out my years...It works great...However, I only used it for cutting...I wish to go long term for constant fat burn as well as, muscle build...Is this possible and more importantly, is it heathly?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I made a post about Keto a few days ago. I don't like Keto for anyone that is not a competitor, and even then I would debate it's necessary outside of the last two weeks of prep.

I wouldn't normally do this, however, if you're interested, I have started taking on clients for nutrition consultations after a long hiatus. I have been as low as 8%, and have helped clients reach 6%. I have no reason to be lower than 8 since I don't compete. I do NOT, however, mess with sodium manipulation for competition prep. I think more harm than good can come from that.

Anyway, not sure how serious you are.

MrRippedZilla

MrRippedZilla

VIP Member
Feb 18, 2015
What would be the purpose behind staying in ketosis for such a long period of time?

Ketosis isn't magic. It's not going to lead to "constant fat burn" without a caloric deficit and is certainly sub-optimal when it comes to muscle growth. Carbs help muscle hypertrophy. Alot.
As for whether its healthy or not...we don't have enough data to say for sure but I highly, highly, doubt it.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
What would be the purpose behind staying in ketosis for such a long period of time?

Ketosis isn't magic. It's not going to lead to "constant fat burn" without a caloric deficit and is certainly sub-optimal when it comes to muscle growth. Carbs help muscle hypertrophy. Alot.
As for whether its healthy or not...we don't have enough data to say for sure but I highly, highly, doubt it.

Agreed. So far, all we know is that it CAN help those that were morbidly obese with very high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. The studies are poor though, because there are no control groups comparing to other diets.

All other evidence we have is either anecdotal or the control group was given a shitty diet to compare it to.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016

Well I for sure do not have enough knowledge to debate it...However, My thread/thoughts were based on my limited studies of ketosis...Correct Me please as I'm only trying to learn...

So, if by reducing crabs the body will use fat for energy, stored and consumed, how would this not keep a person lean and at less risk for gaining/storing fat in the fat tissue?...Also, By being able to consume more protein and fat, which the two work in harmony, or this is what I thought the case to be, how could one not put his body in a muscle gain status?...

Also, wouldn't this be ideal for diabetics?...Just Asking...

Last edited:
Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I've used it for brief cuts and it works ok. It works very very well if your on gear. However I don't think it's great long term.
Couple reasons.
1) I have a friend that lives his life like this he's been on a ketosis like diet for well over a year. After about 6 months I feel his physic suffered. Now he's a cross fit powerlifter guy so he doesn't care. His #s have gone up n he's not fat. He just doesn't look great.
2) no one knows the long term consequences of changing to this type of diet And IMO I think it could be very person to person. Some people look great after 2 years vegan some look n feel like shit. Get my point?
3) again IMO and experience eating just meat n fat mostly makes your breath holy crap bad. Every time I've done it my wife complains. The guy I know is a close talker n i want to wrap his face in dryer sheets.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
I've used it for brief cuts and it works ok. It works very very well if your on gear. However I don't think it's great long term.
Couple reasons.
1) I have a friend that lives his life like this he's been on a ketosis like diet for well over a year. After about 6 months I feel his physic suffered. Now he's a cross fit powerlifter guy so he doesn't care. His #s have gone up n he's not fat. He just doesn't look great.
2) no one knows the long term consequences of changing to this type of diet And IMO I think it could be very person to person. Some people look great after 2 years vegan some look n feel like shit. Get my point?
3) again IMO and experience eating just meat n fat mostly makes your breath holy crap bad. Every time I've done it my wife complains. The guy I know is a close talker n i want to wrap his face in dryer sheets.

Thanks Gm585 for the reply...I'm gonna study it deep now with the feedback i've received....i'm weak in diet knowledge...it's something i've neglected over the years, mostly because I was able to get away with eating what I wanted and looking like an offseeaon bb...It's time now for me to focus on diet...Again guys, I appreciate your responses!!!!!

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I made a post about Keto a few days ago. I don't like Keto for anyone that is not a competitor, and even then I would debate it's necessary outside of the last two weeks of prep.

I wouldn't normally do this, however, if you're interested, I have started taking on clients for nutrition consultations after a long hiatus. I have been as low as 8%, and have helped clients reach 6%. I have no reason to be lower than 8 since I don't compete. I do NOT, however, mess with sodium manipulation for competition prep. I think more harm than good can come from that.

Anyway, not sure how serious you are.
@shortz
I know that I generally agreed with that original post, however, I've been giving it a lot of thought.
My situation is that I carry a lot of visceral fat that is difficult to target through more traditional dieting. I am concerned that simple calorie restriction would require such an extreme deficit that would do more harm than good. On the surface, with the exception of my belly, I appear quite lean. I carry little sub utaneous fat. In the past, when I was very lean, with visible abs obliques etc. I still measured 17-18% by underwater weighing.
Now as a middle aged male, I am concerned about the effects on my overall health. It seems that everything you read says that this type fat deposition is an indicator of all sorts of negative health markers.
How do I reduce that fat without dropping 60lbs?

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
@shortz
I know that I generally agreed with that original post, however, I've been giving it a lot of thought.
My situation is that I carry a lot of visceral fat that is difficult to target through more traditional dieting. I am concerned that simple calorie restriction would require such an extreme deficit that would do more harm than good. On the surface, with the exception of my belly, I appear quite lean. I carry little sub utaneous fat. In the past, when I was very lean, with visible abs obliques etc. I still measured 17-18% by underwater weighing.
Now as a middle aged male, I am concerned about the effects on my overall health. It seems that everything you read says that this type fat deposition is an indicator of all sorts of negative health markers.
How do I reduce that fat without dropping 60lbs?

Id highly recommend giving it a shot. I know a lot of ppl that are getting great results from it. As someone else already posted it works even better if you are on gear. But my daughter has lost over 40 pounds and is natural.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Id highly recommend giving it a shot. I know a lot of ppl that are getting great results from it. As someone else already posted it works even better if you are on gear. But my daughter has lost over 40 pounds and is natural.

Honestly you havent noticed the breath thing?

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Honestly you havent noticed the breath thing?

Have you ever tried ginger?...U can get it at publix or any grocery store that sales seasons...Get the clove form...Chew or suck on it through out the day...It does wonders for bad breath...It does take a little getting use too to begin with, however, for me, it kills bad breath better than otc products designed for bad breath...Might work for ya....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic