Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Looking for some simple and tasty chicken or other recipces to prepare for the week

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Skillet Rosemary Lemon Chicken

Ingredients
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
Zest of one lemon (1 to 2 teaspoons)
3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice

2 to 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 6 pieces)
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 or more shallots, peeled, halved (optional, can use 1/2-inch thick wedges of red onion, or skip)

Method

1 Place the rosemary, lemon zest, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper in a mini-chopper and pulse until well ground. (If you don't have a mini-chopper, just mince the rosemary and garlic very fine, and mix with the rest). Then add the tablespoon of olive oil and pulse again.

2 Place the chicken thighs in a (non-reactive) bowl and rub all over with the rosemary lemon herb rub. Arrange the thighs skin-side down and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Let marinate for an hour at room temperature, or chill several hours or overnight, and let sit at room temp for an hour before cooking.

3 Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a cast iron (10 to 12-inch) or other large relatively stick-free oven-proof skillet (hard anodized aluminum will work well) on medium high to high heat. As soon as the oil is shimmery hot, pat dry the chicken thighs with paper towels and lay them skin-side down in the pan. Sear the thighs without moving them for 3-5 minutes or until nicely browned. Turn the thighs over in the pan so they are skin-side up. Remove the pan from heat.

4 Place garlic cloves and either shallots or onion wedges in between the chicken thigh pieces in the pan. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken thighs reach 175°F.

Remove from oven.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
My personal favorite: I literally had her make this for me for months on end last year.

Chili Lime Chicken Rub

1 pounds chicken breasts pounded to 1/2 inch thickness - This did 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts. I'd double for any more than that.

Chili Lime Rub
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
fresh-squeezed lime juice from 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
Lime zest from 1 lime

Instructions
1.In a small bowl, whisk chicken rub ingredients together and rub evenly all over chicken breasts. Timer permitting, allow chicken to sit for 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate up to 8 hours then bring to room temperature for before cooking.

STOVETOP DIRECTIONS
3.If chicken has been refrigerated, let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes (time permitting).
4.Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Once very hot, add chicken and cook, undisturbed for 3-5 minutes, or until nicely browned (or blackened if you prefer) on one side. Turn chicken over, cover, and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 5-7 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
5.Garnish with extra fresh lime juice if desired.

GRILLING DIRECTIONS
7.If chicken has been refrigerated, let sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes (time permitting).
8.Meanwhile, grease and preheat the grill to medium heat, 375-450°F.
9.Grill chicken undisturbed for for 6-7 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 155 degrees F.)
10.Remove chicken from grill and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Chicken with Shallots and Cherry Tomatoes

Hands down, one of the best dishes we've ever had. A quick, easy and delicious one-pan chicken dinner, with a fresh taste from the cherry tomatoes that are added at the very end to maintain the fresh flavour and not get mushy.

Ingredients
•6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
•2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
•2 tsp. kosher salt
•2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
•2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
•6 - 8 medium shallots, peeled and halved
•1/2 cup white wine
•3/4 cup chicken stock
•2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
•2 sprigs tarragon
•2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half.

Instructions
1.Rinse chicken thighs in water, and pat them very dry with paper towels. Sprinkle over them the flour, salt and pepper.
2.Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or skillet, over medium-high heat. When the butter foams, cook the chicken, in batches if necessary, until well browned and crisp on all sides. Remove and set aside. Remove excess fat, leaving a Tbsp. or so in the pan.
3.Add the whole shallots to the pot and sauté them in the chicken fat until they begin to soften and caramelize, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Add the wine to deglaze the pot, then add the mustard and tarragon, and then the chicken stock. Return the chicken thighs to the pot and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until sauce is thickened and chicken is cooked (test with a knife near the bone. Juices should run clear and meat should not be pink).
4.Add the cherry tomatoes to the pot, stir lightly to combine and serve immediately.

We had this over rice and it was amazing. You could have it with some crusty bread instead of rice and that would be good too.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Chicken Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients
•3 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
•2 cups dry Basmati rice
•2 cans (10 oz each) Enchilada sauce
•1 can (16 oz) refried beans
•1 cup white cheddar, shredded
•1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
•1 can (11 oz) corn kernel
•cilantro for garnish
•salt and ground black pepper to taste

Instructions
1.Cook the rice. I cooked it with 4 cups of water and ¼ cup of butter.
2.Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
3.Mix the 2 cheeses together.
4.In a large bowl mix the shredded chicken with the enchilada sauce, refried beans and half of the cheese. Add rice, season with salt and pepper if needed, and mix well. Pour rice mixture into a large casserole dish. Top with corn then with remainder of cheese.
5.Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese melts and is bubbly.
6.Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve warm.

Serves 12

Nutrition Information

Calories: 431 Fat: 11.0g Saturated fat: 5.0g Trans fat: 0.0g Carbohydrates: 66.6g Sugar: 1.3g Sodium: 282mg Fiber: 15.5g Protein: 25.3g Cholesterol: 54mg

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Mushroom Asiago Chicken

•1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (about 2 large)
•2 cups mushrooms, cut in half
•1 clove garlic, minced
•3 springs fresh thyme
•1 1/2 cups dry white wine
•1/2 cup seasoned flour
•2 tbs butter
•2 tbs olive oil
•1/2 cup heavy cream
•1/4-1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
•1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
•1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste)
•seasoned flour:
•1/2 cup all-purpose flour
•1 tsp salt
•1/2 tsp black pepper

Pound chicken breast with a meat mallet between 2 sheets of waxed paper or plastic wrap until meat is uniform thickness; about 1/4-inch. Cut into serving-sized pieces (2 or 3 pieces per breast)

Heat the butter with *1* tbs of olive oil in deep, heavy skillet or saute pan over medium heat.

Dredge chicken in seasoned flour. Add to hot oil/butter in skillet. Saute until golden on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan.

Add remaining olive oil to hot skillet. Saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms begin to brown.

Add white wine to skillet, scraping up all the browned bits that are at the bottom of the pan (this is called "deglazing"). Bruise the fresh thyme by twisting it between your fingers or hitting it with the dull side of a knife in a few places. Add thyme to mushroom/wine mixture in pan.

Add the chicken back to the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Remove chicken from pan. Add the cream and heat through. Add the asiago cheese (if you like it strongly flavored, use 1/2 cup; not as strongly flavored, use the 1/4 cup--asiago is a powerful cheese and you can even use less for just a whisper of flavor. I like it strong so I used 1/2 cup).

Cook, stirring constantly over low heat until cheese melts. Continue cooking until sauce is reduced by about 1/2. If you wish to skip the reduction step, you may thicken the sauce slightly with about 1 tbs instant flour or 1 tbs cornstarch mixed with 2 tbs water...however, the reduction will taste better.

Add chicken back to pan and heat through.

Garnish with sprigs of fresh thyme. May be served over any pasta.

About 4 servings.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Chicken souvlaki tonight. I found a recipe for tzatziki that doesn't require draining yogurt overnight. It's an easy delicious recipe. I will never buy the stuff again! The recipe is from Julie May, one of my favourite food bloggers. She's just terrific.

Tzatziki

Ingredients:
◾2 cups plain Greek yogurt
◾optional - 1/2 cup sour cream
◾2 cucumbers, peeled and seeded, minced
◾1 Tbsp kosher salt (not table salt)
◾1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
◾(can use white wine vinegar)
◾2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
◾(about 1 large lemon)
◾1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
◾2 tsp minced fresh garlic
◾1 1/2 - 2 tsp minced fresh dill
◾fresh ground black pepper

Written Method:

The only imperative in this recipe is to remove LOTS of the liquid from the cucumbers so the final dip will be nice and thick. Other than that, its a dump and mix recipe. So let's start with that step first. Peel and seed the cucumbers. Cut the cucumbers and then mince them really, really fine.

Now you are going to add what seems like an absurd amount of kosher salt to them. This is going to draw out the liquid. The first time I did this, I only added about half the salt. Because this seems way too extreme. Then I found myself adding more to the final dip. So... if you are nervous about it, you can certainly go that route. You can always add more later. Put the salted cucumbers in a fine strainer over a bowl. Just let it hang out a while, while you are working on the other ingredients. I think I let mine drain for probably 20 minutes or so.

While the cucumbers are draining, let's get on with the rest. Into a bowl, add your plain, Greek yogurt. Next I added the sour cream. This is where you get to make a decision. If you taste the Greek yogurt and the sour cream side-by-side, they are almost indistinguishable. The sour cream may be just a little bit "stiffer." So if you are limited on what's in the fridge, you could just opt to add more of the Greek yogurt. I wanted that extra bit of stiffness and body for my dip, so I did add the sour cream. To all this lovely creaminess, add the rest of the seasonings: champagne vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, and pepper.

By this time, let's go ahead and try to extract the rest of the cucumber water. Pour out the minced, salted cucumbers onto a clean tea towel. Gather it up and SQUEEZE!!!! And then squeeze HARDER! You can see how much more of the liquid is coming out. After you can no longer squeeze out any liquid from the cucumbers, add the cucumber "pulp" (well that's what it looks like to me at this point) into the yogurt mixture. Now mix to combine. Taste and adjust any seasonings. More dill? Pepper? Salt?

It's best if you let the flavors marry for several hours or even overnight. If you are making it for a party, I would suggest making it the day before.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
One Pan Sage and Onion Chicken and Sausage

1 large onion
125 ml olive oil
2 teaspoons English mustard
1 tablespoon dried sage
pepper
1 lemon
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 kilograms chicken (jointed into 10 pieces)
12 sausages (I used bangers)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage

1. Peel and cut the onion into eighths, and put into a freezer bag with the oil, mustard, dried sage, a good grinding of pepper, the lemon juice, the squeezed-out husks cut into eighths, and the Worcestershire sauce. Squidge everything around to mix (the mustard needs help to combine) and then add the chicken pieces. Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight, or for up to two days.

2. Preheat the oven to gas mark 7/220°C/425ºF. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature in its marinade.

3. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting tin, skin-side up, with the marinade, including all the bits and pieces, and tuck the sausages around them. Sprinkle the fresh sage leaves over the chicken and sausages and then put the tin into the oven to cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the sausages over halfway through to colour them evenly.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Chicken and Leek Cornish Turnover

Ingredients

Filling:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 large leek, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch rounds
4 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
One 6-ounce Yukon gold potato, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk, at room temperature
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
1 large store-bought rotisserie chicken breast, shredded to yield 1 1/2 cups of meat
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dusting
One 9-inch square sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 large egg, beaten

Directions

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

For the filling: Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook the leeks until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots, mushrooms, potato, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir frequently until the vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes.

For the sauce: Melt the butter over medium heat in a 1-quart saucepan. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Combine the vegetable mixture, sauce and chicken in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cool the filling completely, about 20 minutes.

Roll out the pastry into a 10-by-10-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Transfer the pastry to the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush the edges of the pastry with beaten egg using a pastry brush. Spoon the filling onto one side of the pastry. Fold the pastry over to encase the filling. Fold and crimp the edges of the pastry together to seal the filling. Brush the top of the pastry with beaten egg. Cut a 1/2-inch-long slit in the top of the pie using a paring knife.

Bake until puffed and golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes and slice into 4 pieces.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I ran this through myfitnesspal. If you consider it 4 servings - that's a large portion - it is 473 calories per serving.

Rice
1/2 cup wild rice
3/4 cup basmati rice
2 1/2 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth

Cajun Chicken and Peppers
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
1 tablespoon creole seasoning
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 large red pepper, chopped
1 large orange pepper, chopped
1/2 a onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish

Instructions
1.To start the rice. Add the water to a medium size soup pot. Bring to a low boil and then add the rice and a pinch of salt. Stir to combine and then place the lid on the pot and turn the heat down to the lowest setting possible. Allow the rice to cook ten minutes on low and then turn the heat off completely and let the rice sit on the stove, covered for another 20 minutes (don't take any peeks inside!). After 20 minutes remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Note that rice can cook differently for everyone, this is just what works for me.
2.Meanwhile heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. In a small bowl combine the cajun seasoning, creole seasoning, brown sugar, pepper, cayenne, sweet paprika and dried thyme.
3.Add the chicken and the spice mixture to the skillet and give it a good toss. Then spread the chicken in an even layer and allow it to cook, without stirring for 2-4 minutes. Then stir the chicken and add the soy sauce, continue cooking another 5 minutes or until the chicken is browned all over and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
4.Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the red pepper, orange pepper, onion and garlic. Stir fry the veggies for about 5-10 minutes or until the onions are soft. Add the chicken back to the skillet and toss well. Now stir in the diced tomatoes and simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat and add the chicken mixture to the rice. Toss well and serve! Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Jambalaya.

I made it tonight with just chicken - 4 breasts - and no turkey sausage. I doubled the cayenne pepper and it had quite a kick!

2 1/2 oz raw turkey sausage, chopped
1 large onion(s), chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
2 medium chicken breast, cooked, skinless, cubed, about 2 cups
2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
1 medium celery, stalk, chopped
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
28 oz canned tomatoes, whole, plum, peeled with juice
1 cup(s) uncooked white rice, long-grain

Instructions

Coat a large, nonstick saucepan with cooking spray. Over high heat, sauté the turkey sausage until crispy on edges. Add onion, celery and green pepper and sauté until tender.
Reduce heat and stir in cayenne, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic. Sauté until garlic is fragrant.
Stir in chicken, tomatoes, broth and rice. Bring to a simmer, cover and let cook until rice is tender, 20 minutes. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic