Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Looking for some simple and tasty chicken or other recipces to prepare for the week

Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Feb 19, 2015
Hey guys, I know a lot of you make food in bulk on Sundays. Happy to have chicken and rice or some other protein tasty lunches. But I can't seem to find any good , tasty and easy to make recipes.
No of any standard go to recipes?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I always had better luck actually eating pre made meals if it was supposed to be eaten cold.

One thing I did often was shrimp or scallops or a lower fat fish grilled and then chilled. Served it with a cold soba noodle. Would toss with carrots peppers scallions.

A hot dish that always reheated fairly well for me was buffalo turkey burgers. I would take a few pounds of ground turkey breast (99% fat free) and mix up with a ton of red hot, pureed mushrooms (good earthy flavor plus helped combat the dry ass turkey by adding moisture) seasoning, egg and bread crumbs. Do measure your bread crumbs or you can lose sight of a surprising amount of calories. Grill to 165F in the center and toss in more red hot/butter while still hot. Would eat those with some rice and beans on higher carb days or just a little rice and veg.

Always tried to avoid steak because I prefer that cooked fresh.

Sandwiches are always easy. If you want to avoid the sodium or additives of deli meat buy turkey breast and cook it yourself I guess. I just buy at the deli.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Also would add do your prep on Sunday and Wednesday too.

Eating old food that tastes like refrigerator is gross and cause you to fuck up on the diet simply cause you don't want to eat shitty food. This doesn't apply to all but I does to me big time. I won't sacrifice flavor for body fat lol

Also food prepared at home in advance has a higher likelihood of causing you illness unless you take certain measures to cool things quickly. However, one organism in particular Listeria Monocytogenes will grow in the fridge. The only way to keep the population of Listeria down is to limit shelf life. 7 days is considered safe in commercial kitchens or manufacturing facilities but at home should be no more than 5.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I'm all for this thread....

I'm not even remotely creative when it comes to cooking. I could use some simple recipes.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Throw a bunch of chicken breasts into a crock pot, let it cook down, pull it apart. Stir in a bottle of salsa. Pack into containers.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
I will post some of Mrs Flex's recipes ITT:

Chicken Baked in White Wine and Herbs

Super-easy weeknight meal.

Ingredients
8 chicken thighs (skin on and bone in)
olive oil/butter for frying
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
250ml white wine
large handful mixed fresh herbs, chopped (I used sage, parsley, thyme and rosemary)
splash of cream (approximately 50-100ml)
salt & pepper to taste

Instructions
Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
In a large, oven-proof frying pan, melt the butter/heat the oil and fry the chicken until golden brown all over.
Remove from the pan then add the garlic and allow to fry for a few seconds then pour in the wine, herbs and cream.
Add the chicken back to the pan then season to taste and place in the oven.
Allow to bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through but still juicy.
Serve with rice/bread to mop up the juices.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
This was sooo good! Definitely a keeper.

ONE PAN PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED RICOTTA CHICKEN WITH PARMESAN GARLIC SCALLOPED POTATOES

INGREDIENTS
Ricotta Filling
⅔ cup ricotta
Zest of 1 small lemon, or ½ large lemon
1½ tsp finely sliced fresh sage leaves
¼ tsp salt
Pepper

Prosciutto Chicken & Potatoes
4 chicken thigh fillets, skinless and boneless (about 5 - 7 oz / 150 - 200g each)
4 long or 8 small thin slices of prosciutto
1.5 lb / 750 g potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
1½ tbsp olive oil + ½ tbsp extra olive oil
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan
Salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Mix together the Ricotta Filling ingredients in a small bowl.
Lay out the prosciutto on a work surface. Place chicken lengthwise at the bottom of each strip.
Divide Ricotta Filling between the chicken, placing it at the bottom (closest to you).
Roll up the chicken, wrapping it in the prosciutto, finishing with the seam side down. Not too tightly otherwise the ricotta will ooze out!
Use toothpicks to seal the ends. (Optional - I did for my first two, then didn't and they stayed together just fine)
Spread the potato slices on the base of a roasting dish or large ovenproof skillet. Fan them out so they are overlapping slightly.
Mix together 1½ tbsp olive oil and garlic then pour over the potatoes, using a teaspoon or brush to spread it out. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and thyme leaves.
Place chicken on top of the potato, drizzle the chicken with ½ tbsp olive oil and bake for 40 minutes.
Remove chicken onto a plate to rest, covered loosely with foil.
Sprinkle the potatoes with parmesan cheese, then return just the potatoes back into the oven and turn up the oven to maximum. Bake for 5 minutes.
Remove potatoes from the oven. Place chicken back on top.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Chili Lime Chicken Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa and Avocado Crema

This was amazing. I grilled some chicken that marinated in a Chili Lime rub. I grilled some veggies and pineapple to make a salsa. Then I made an avocado crema to go on top of the tacos.

Pretty sure I've posted the chili lime marinade before, but here it is:

Chili Lime Rub
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 to /2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (optional for more heat)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
fresh-squeezed lime juice from 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
Lime zest from 1 lime

Grilled Pineapple Salsa
1/2 ripe pineapple, trimmed and sliced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
1/2 small red onion, peeled and cut in half (so you have 2 quarters of whole onion)
1 jalapeno, whole
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Grease grill and heat to medium high heat.
Drizzle red onions with olive oil and thread onto a skewer (if using a wooden skewer, soak skewer in water for at least 30 minutes beforehand). Drizzle red bell pepper quarters and jalapeno with olive oil to lightly coat.
Working in batches as needed depending on grill size, grill pineapple and vegetables at medium high heat until tender and lightly charred all over, about 12 minutes for the onions, turning occasionally, about 8-10 minutes for the pineapple, or until caramelized, flipping once, 6 minutes for the red bell peppers, flipping once, and jalapeno for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally.
Once cool enough to handle, dab off any excess oil with paper towels from vegetables and chop pineapple (cutting around core), red bell peppers, and onions. Devein and deseed jalapeno and dice, reserving some of the seeds if desired.
Toss pineapple, red bell pepper, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, ginger, cumin and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. If you would like it spicier, add some of the jalapeno seeds to taste.
Can be served immediately or even better chilled.

To make the Avocado Crema, put all of this in a blender and blend till smooth.
Avocado Crema
1 medium avocado
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Honey Mustard Chicken, Avocado + Bacon Salad

Loving the Summer salads with a protein on top. This one is super easy because the chicken marinade doubles as the salad dressing - and only 5 ingredients. So mix once, reserve some for the dressing and use the rest to marinate your chicken. Love that convenience. And this truly was delicious.

Dressing / Marinade:
⅓ cup honey
3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons smooth and mild Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Salt to season
4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts

For Salad:
¼ cup diced bacon, trimmed of rind and fat
4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, washed
1 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
¼ cup corn kernels
¼ of a red onion, sliced

Instructions
1. Whisk marinade / dressing ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a shallow dish to
marinade the chicken fillets for two hours if time allows. Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to
use as a dressing.
2. Heat a nonstick pan (or grill pan or skillet) over medium heat with about a teaspoon of oil and sear / grill
chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches to prevent excess water
being released.) Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
3. Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry the bacon until crispy.
4. Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with leaves, tomatoes, avocado slices, corn, onion strips and
chicken.
5. Whisk 2 tablespoons of water into the remaining untouched marinade / dressing and drizzle over the salad.
Sprinkle the bacon over the top and season with a little extra salt and cracked pepper (optional).

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Caprese Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon

Ingredients

Salad
1 pound chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
5 oz. Spinach leaves
1 cup basil leaves, roughly chopped or chiffonade
1 pint grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
6 oz. mozzarella pearls or bocconcini
8 oz. asparagus, tough ends trimmed/snapped (I substituted fresh green beans - really good!)
1 or 2 avocados, chopped or sliced
4-6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste

Balsamic Chicken Marinade
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Balamic Reduction Dressing
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Instructions
1. Whisk together all of the Balsamic Marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove 1 tablespoon and add to
a large bowl along with tomatoes and asparagus. Toss evenly to coat. Refrigerate.

2. Add remaining marinade to a large Ziploc bag along with chicken. Marinate 30 minutes up to 4 hours.

3. When ready to grill, let chicken sit at room temperature for 1530 minutes (time permitting). Meanwhile,
grease and preheat the grill to medium heat, 375-450°F. Grill chicken undisturbed for 57 minutes per side,
or until chicken is cooked through. (An inserted thermometer should read 165 degrees F.) Remove chicken
from grill and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

4. Grease grill and turn to high heat. Grill asparagus for 2 minutes per side or to desired tenderness. Let cool
then cut on diagonal into 12inch pieces.

5. To make the Balsamic Reduction Dressing, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan, then reduce
the heat to a simmer, stirring often. Cook until reduced in volume by half, about 8 minutes and just thick
enough to coat the back of a spoon. Whisk in remaining dressing ingredients, adding additional milk a
teaspoon at a time if desired for a thinner dressing.

6. Toss spinach, basil, asparagus, tomatoes and mozzarella in a large bowl. Top with chicken, bacon, and
avocado. Drizzle individual servings with Balsamic Reduction Dressing.

Note: Next time, I'll leave the balsamic reduction dressing and just make my own regular olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. Not that it was bad, but it'll save me time to make my vinaigrette instead. Just olive oil, balsamic vinegar, dijon, garlic, salt, pepper. Herbs can be added too.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Lemon Pepper Chicken and Creamy Garlicky Parmesan Risotto

Easy-peasy - all made in one pot. From Recipe Tin Eats.

INGREDIENTS
Chicken
½ tbsp olive oil
2 lb / 1kg chicken thighs, skin on and bone in (5 pieces) (Note 1)
3 tbsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning (Note 2)
Risotto
2 tbsp butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, finely diced
1½ cups risotto rice (arborio)
½ cup white wine, any (or stock or water)
4 cups chicken broth (stock)
1 cup milk (I use low fat)
½ tsp salt
Black pepper
Risotto Finishes
1 cup freshly grated parmesan (lightly packed)
2 tbsp butter
½ to 1 cup milk (preferably warmed)
Fresh thyme leaves, or finely chopped parsley, chives or oregano (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
Chicken
Coat chicken with Lemon Pepper Seasoning, using most of it on the skin.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large oven proof fry pan (Note 3).
Place the chicken in the pan skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes then turn the heat up to medium high and cook for a further 2 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook for 3 minutes. (Note 4)
Remove chicken onto a plate. Discard excess oil in the pan and wipe the pan with a paper towel.
Risotto
Return the pan to the stove, still on medium high.
Melt butter in the pan. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
Add rice and stir until the grains turn from white to translucent. Add wine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the wine is mostly evaporated.
Add chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer on the stove. Give it a quick stir then place the chicken on top of the rice (pour juices on the plate in too). Then place a lid (or foil) on the pan and transfer to the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on. Remove the lid and return to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is firm but just cooked (not mushy!) and the chicken is crispy.
Remove the chicken from the rice. Stir through Risotto Finishes, using the milk to get the risotto to a creamy consistency.
Return chicken on top. Serve immediately, with fresh thyme leaves and extra parmesan, if desired.
NOTES
1. For one pot dishes like this, I like to use bone in skin on chicken because it is juicier (i.e. more flavour cooks into the rice) and I like crispy skin. It would work well with drumsticks too. You can make this with skinless, boneless thigh fillets but you won't get the crispy skin. Breast fillets will work too, but obviously not as juicy because it has a much lower fat content.

2. Lemon Pepper seasoning is a fabulous spice mix you can get at any major grocery store. It's got zesty lemon and black pepper flavours, but also other seasonings (including salt) so you don't need to add anything else. It doesn't cost any more than other dried herbs and spices - around $1.50 for a packet here in Sydney.

You can substitute with any seasonings you have on hand, or make your own. Just make sure to remember to add salt and pepper - I don't because Lemon Pepper already has it.

3. Use a large fry pan, preferably with a lid, or a heavy based pot (dutch oven works great). If you don't have a lid, just cover the pan with foil or use the lid of a larger pot/pan.

4. The chicken is cooked on a lower heat first to render out (melt) the fat and to partially cook the chicken. Risotto cooks in around 25 to 35 minutes so you need to ensure the chicken is cooked enough on the stove so it is just finished in the oven.

If you are using thigh fillets, reduce the cooking time to 2 minutes on each side (4 minutes in total on the stove). For drumsticks, reduce the cooking time to 6 minutes in total on the stove.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Roasted Chicken with Lemon, Herbs and Potatoes

Soooo delicious!

INGREDIENTS
Ingredients for the chicken
6 medium bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves (You can also use skin-on boneless breasts, but I would not try to use skinless, boneless as they will dry out at this high heat.)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
finely grated zest of 1 medium-size lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Ingredients for the potatoes:
1 ½ pounds small yellow potatoes, halved (or quartered if they are large)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon sliced in ⅛-inch slices
INSTRUCTIONS
Early in the day (at least 4 hours in advance) mix the rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and olive oil together in a small bowl. Rinse the chicken breasts and pat them dry.
Press the herb mixture into the flesh of the chicken on all sides. Place chicken on a sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours.
Preheat the oven to 450˚F. Lightly grease a sheet pan with oil.
Combine potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper in a medium-size bowl. Toss to coat. Turn potatoes out onto prepared sheet pan in an even layer.
Place in oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Add the chicken breasts to the pan, skin side up in between the potatoes. Tuck lemons around chicken and potatoes. Roast for about 30-45 minutes longer, or until the breasts reach 160˚F* in the thickest part. If breasts vary greatly in size, you may need to remove the smaller ones 5 minutes before the larger ones. (If you're using skin-on, boneless breasts, baking time will be about 5-10 minutes less, so just add them after the potatoes are in for 20 minutes and check the temperature after 25 minutes.)
Remove from oven and cover chicken loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic