Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Looking for your thoughts on this...

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Mrs Flex and I are wannabe powerlifters. We both compete. We're not pros. Just a couple of middle aged fat people that like lifting reasonably heavy stuff.

There are no powerlifting or strength clubs in our city of about 1 million people. Most of the gyms are the big chain type; GoodLife Fitness, LifeTime, LA Fitness.

We train at World Gym. Which is just slightly more 'hardcore' (LOL) than those Fitness clubs. It was a pretty hardcore bodybuilding gym back in the day under a different name. Has 4 sets of dumbbells to 150 lbs, 6 power racks, lots of machines and way too many treadmills.

I've known a couple of the owners for 25+ years.

Typically we train from about 5:45am to 7:15am Tue-Fri and Saturday afternoon whenever we get there. Usually on Saturday we do bench.

Recently we also went in on Good Friday in the afternoon because it is a national holiday in Canada so we were both off work.

Apparently some people didn't like the fact that we used different squat racks and "hogged" the equipment for too long so they complained. We typically train about 90 minutes. We cannot share the same squat rack because she is much shorter than I am. Same thing for bench if I put the bar where she has it my shoulders get wrecked because her arms are much shorter than mine. Pulling the plates on and off is one thing, but completely unloading the bar and re-setting the bar height every set is not going to happen. Also they complained that we weren't even using the equipment; that we were resting up to 20 minutes between sets which is just bullshit. We go in, do our shit and get out. I never touch my phone or chat in the gym. We do not chit-chat with each other. In fact I usually have ear buds in.

IMHO we both pay for memberships so just because we know each other why do we have to only use one piece of equipment?

Anyway, the owner wasn't a jerk about it or anything but he did speak to me about it today and asked if we could modify our training habits on weekends/holidays when the gym is busier.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Tell him no you can't and cite those reasons.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If the cages are empty I don't see why you should have to share but if they are taken I don't see why you can't share a cage. I'm 6'2 and SS is 5'5 and we share a cage often.

I'll play devils advocate... You have a limited amount of time to train but that same reason could be anothers as well. Having to load and unload weights, resetting the height is a pain, but then many do it and do it squatting very big numbers.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
To keep good will flowing, I would find a compromise in the middle since it's only on exception days and not your regular schedule. Based on what you outlined, where else are you going to go?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Tell him no you can't and cite those reasons.

He knows we compete and he cuts us some slack on the "No Chalk" rule. As long as we don't leave a mess he looks the other way. But officially chalk is banned in his gym.

I basically told him I think when we go on Saturdays we'll just do different routines. That way the dummies won't be able to bitch about us not sharing equipment. If she's benching and I'm squatting then go fuck yourself.

Really I've only seen it being an issue exactly once when this dude had ot wait for a bench. And really he didn't have to I was more than welcome to let him work in with me as I explained the reasons Mrs Flex and I couldn't share a bench. He refused to work in and chose instead to sit across from me on another machine and glare at me the whole time until another bench became free (maybe 5-10 minutes).

I've never had anyone ask to work in or let me know that they were waiting (other than that one time) since I have been training here (I think 4 years now?)

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
where else are you going to go?

This is the problem. Normally I would just say "Fuck it" and take my business elsewhere but like Richard Gere..... "I got no place else to go!!!!"

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
If the cages are empty I don't see why you should have to share but if they are taken I don't see why you can't share a cage. I'm 6'2 and SS is 5'5 and we share a cage often.

So you strip down to the bar (or like down to one plate) then reset the pegs, load the bar again, rinse and repeat every set?

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
And now that I'm thinking about this more I think it's pretty fucking insipid to cry to management first without asking to work in or let me know you're waiting.

Back in the day when I trained at Powerhouse it was always packed. We had 2 squats racks. We all worked in together. And if you were waiting on something you'd just say to the person "Hey can you let me know when you're on you're last set?"

So now people just lurk about, don't say jack shit, can't fucking communicate like a normal person, yet go to management and complain??? I mean, were they really even wanting to use the equipment or just bitching because they didn't think we should use it that long?

For me, if my REAL GOAL was to get some squats done, I'd work in or at least ask how long the person was going to be. I do it.

Just some food for thought.

Like I said; other that that one time I don't ever recall anyone letting me know they were waiting or asking to work in.

And in that instance I offered him to work in he chose not to; so really he basically said "I want you two to work in together, but I don't want to work in with anyone." And that's bullshit.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
I would politely tell the owner you will no make no such adjustments. Tell him if you are approached and asked for a rack or to work in you would be happy to oblige at such time. However, you wont make a change in anticipation of 1 cry baby having an issue again. That's totally reasonable and within normal gym etiquette.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
So you strip down to the bar (or like down to one plate) then reset the pegs, load the bar again, rinse and repeat every set?

Yup.... She's at a 12 setting and I'm at a 14 setting. Strip it down to 1 plate, drop the j-hooks 2 positions, load it back up and then SS squats. After, strip it, raise it, load it, and then squat.

Gms585

Gms585

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2017
Yup.... She's at a 12 setting and I'm at a 14 setting. Strip it down to 1 plate, drop the j-hooks 2 positions, load it back up and then SS squats. After, strip it, raise it, load it, and then squat.

this is why i do not work out with my wife. I'll go to yoga and shit but the weight room is my domain.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012

Would you do that if your gym had 6 power racks and they were all empty when you got there?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic