Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Starting back up with weight training

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
Hello guys, I am new here and wanted to ask some questions. I used to lift weights years ago in my teens and now that I am 44 I want to restart and need some pointers.
I bought a bench to do presses and I have a few dumbbells I can use. As I get stronger I will buy more and more weights.
What I want to know is what order should I follow the program? Do I do arms when I do chest or do I only do chest by itself and the following day do arms and shoulders?
If someone can please give me a simple guide I'd appreciate it. I got a little rusty with this and thank you!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
What about legs? How are going to train them? Deadlifts? Lunges? etc... Don't just focus on your upper body.

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
What about legs? How are going to train them? Deadlifts? Lunges? etc... Don't just focus on your upper body.
Yes I forgot to mention legs. For legs I was going to squat and I have the leg extension on the bench too. Plus I'll do cardio with max trainer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
Mon - Legs
Tue - Chest/Tri's
Wed - Rest or Cardio
Thurs - Back/Bi's
Fri - Rest or abs and cardio
Sat - Shoulders
Sunday - Say your prayers and take your vitamins

You can also have a day just for arms, just an idea but remember not to overtrain, eat properly and get rest

There is no cookie cutter right way, but consistency is key

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
I'm reading my post and saying to my self, if you know what to do, why are you not doing it?

I need to practice what I preach.

Remember this "Summer bodies are not made in the summer. The time is NOW!

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
I'm reading my post and saying to my self, if you know what to do, why are you not doing it?

I need to practice what I preach.

Remember this "Summer bodies are not made in the summer. The time is NOW!
Lol, there is still time buddy. Just do it!

Spilz

Spilz

Apr 6, 2017
Get in there and do it :)

See what works for you.

Good Luck!

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
When benching it is important to do all three..flat, incline and decline yes? Which one builds more chest?

R

Realize

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2010
All three, Incline will hit your upper chest more, Flat, all around and decline will hit the lower chest more. Also throw some fly's into the mix to hit your outer chest.

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
All three, Incline will hit your upper chest more, Flat, all around and decline will hit the lower chest more. Also throw some fly's into the mix to hit your outer chest.
Sounds like a plan thank you.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Welcome bud and I would spend a lot of time reading. You may not become an expert but the articles here will help tremendously. I happen to be your age and while you have plenty of time to make progress you are not in your twenties and should not train like one. This along with the KISS principle will take you where you want to go.

That being said Realeyes, laid out a perfect template. Regarding the specifics always lean towards doing less vs. more. I would pic just two exercises and do 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 . Do this, read, ask and get a baseline for a few months and move on.

Hawk

W

whatsup

MuscleHead
Apr 11, 2017
Welcome bud and I would spend a lot of time reading. You may not become an expert but the articles here will help tremendously. I happen to be your age and while you have plenty of time to make progress you are not in your twenties and should not train like one. This along with the KISS principle will take you where you want to go.

That being said Realeyes, laid out a perfect template. Regarding the specifics always lean towards doing less vs. more. I would pic just two exercises and do 2 to 3 sets of 8 to 12 . Do this, read, ask and get a baseline for a few months and move on.

Hawk
Thank you that's what I've been doing. 3-4 sets of each bench position with 10-12 reps. I've been lifting light like 50 lbs and can complete the sets/reps.
Should I advance to more weight and perhaps do less reps?
I've always heard heavy builds mass while light and more reps tones you. Is this correct?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic