Rolanalon
What's New?

Bench press causing shoulder pulls

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
I did it again last night.

I think I really need to get some coaching.

Third time in a couple years that as I work back up in weight I screw up my shoulder and have to take time off to heal it and restart.

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
I hear ya brother, and it won't get any better with age. Trust me, mine are shot...:(...
My only recommendations would be to stretch, stretch, and stretch.
Also, thoroughly warm up, and don't be afraid to use lower weights with more reps. Listen to what your body is telling you.
And, you might want to switch to dumbbell presses for awhile to allow for a more natural movement.
Good luck...

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I highly recommend going to dumbells only. I made the switch years ago and my shoulders thank me daily.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I had that occur to me twice. I just don't go very heavy any more. Using dumbbells did help, but even now I won't go over the 100lb dumbbells. As you age, you gotta train smart, and a little more volume can still do you good.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
A few people have recommended me reverse grip bench press, too.

Sucks getting old.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It's most likely your technique. I am a coach and you can hire me. Or if you just want some quick help shoot me some pm of vid of your bench. You can keep your anonymity doing this. Edit the vid so it's just the bench. I don't need to see your face. I need an angle at the feet but diagonally out to the side.

Also a product that could help you is called the bowtie by Donnie Thompson. Spud Inc. sells it.

DungeonDweller

DungeonDweller

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2017
Thanks for the offer. I know some competitive lifters around town (Van DeWeghe's) and should just hit one of them up for some time.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for the offer. I know some competitive lifters around town (Van DeWeghe's) and should just hit one of them up for some time.

Definitely do that it will be well worth your time. Much of the time the issue is the lifter not keeping the humeral head in the back of the joint. When your rear delts come off the bench pad you put a lot of nasty strain on the rotator and pec

DaSarge

DaSarge

VIP Member
Nov 20, 2014
Definitely do that it will be well worth your time. Much of the time the issue is the lifter not keeping the humeral head in the back of the joint. When your rear delts come off the bench pad you put a lot of nasty strain on the rotator and pec

Good advice POB...

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I had that occur to me twice. I just don't go very heavy any more. Using dumbbells did help, but even now I won't go over the 100lb dumbbells. As you age, you gotta train smart, and a little more volume can still do you good.

Yep, these days It's a pair of 85's for 4-5 sets of 15 reps and some flys and pushups.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
A bit late, but as some have said I don't see a need for the bb bench press for hypertrophy particularly as we age and increase in strength. That being said, as an old fart who competes and has hurt his shoulder nearly everytime he gets over 400 (yes, been stuck low 4's for 4 years) I would say it is a mobility issue. That means almost any pressing whether flat or overhead can jack you up.

Most of us have at least some minor scapula winging. Which means the serratus can not pull the scapula into a good position during pushing moves. There are several things to test this and I am no expert, but one easy one is to put your back against the wall. Make sure heels, butt, scaps and skull are touching. Now bring your elbows up to 90° then bend at the elbow 90° like you are signaling a turn on a bike. Now try to touch the tops of your hands to the wall without any part of your body coming off.

If you can great, you may want to check a few other posture clues. But, if not I would suggest looking into diagnosing and correcting before a more serious injury occurs.

Good luck,
Hawk

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic