Members
Latest Member
pbtom

It's broke...so fix it...height vs weight

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
Im one of the shortest in my class. Depends on the event I rock an 18 inch deadlift however a tall stone load kills me.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
not really. especially if you're natural you don't have a vast amount of choice about your total body size. there is a maximum amount of muscle you can add.

there are ways to be competitive, regardless of height, weight, age or sex...there are Tested and Untested federations and divisions...if an individual is not willing to go the extra mile in regards to learning, training. recovery, diet, and so on, then hopefully that individual is happy sticking to various excuses are to why they are not competitive whenever the time comes...

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
Good discussion.... I'll just keep watching from the sidelines. I'm not strong enough to have a say.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for chiming in POB. First, we can talk exceptions to the rule in every sport with every record all day long. However, let's cut out the top and bottom 10% and get mean demographic. I would draw a graph but I am PC challenged.

Now, with that that major pool. Taller guys will have bigger totals, but sshorter guys will win pound for pound. So, why not have them lift against each other. I know of guys 6 foor or so who are rugged who cut to weigh 220. So, why do they have to compete against a short guy who is two axe handles wide and one tall? If ones wing span is 6'2 and the others is 5'4" what right do they have competing against each other besides weight?

Hawk
Well isn't coefficients like Wilks going to level the playing field?

I don't agree that it does btw. Easier for a 132 to pull 4x bodyweight than a SHW.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
The problem is so many are afraid to gain mass... with mass comes muscle and fat. This isn't bbing. This is PLing. I'm not saying be a fat slob but being lean doesn't necessarily lend itself to strength sports.

yeah if someone wants to powerlift but is afraid of gaining fat they're dumb.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
powerlifting is not a TEAM sport, nor is it Aesthetic based like Bodybuilding...in its simplest form, it's about moving "x" amount of weight, in a pool of competitors who weigh an "x" amount...

I can continue to list lifters who dominate their respective weight classes at or above 6ft tall...hell, the highest recorded WILKS belongs to someone who stands 6'2"...the only people who complain about the reduced ROM of shorter competitors are people who typically aren't very competitive themselves...

Your last sentance is fairly accurate in general. Truly competitive folks simply focus on their own progress not making themselves a victim of poor leverages

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Yumo and hgh,
First thanks for chiming in. Let me say first I am not whining or complaining I do very well in both 242 (masters full power record in uspa which I held for a cup of coffee, but I set it) and 275's at 6'. I am good, not great by any stretch.

That being said, I was trying to make an argument from logic...at least my point of view. I am not saying short people suck or have it better or worse. My position is still one that while no one way is going to make it perfectly"fair" which is a stupid notion anyway, rather I feel that it was better to group people by height vs weight.

Let me clarify by saying that I feel height is a more critical denominator than weight in the majority of sports. If I had to split a gym class up for basketball, the shot put or sumo wrestling I feel height would be a better choice to make things competitive than weight.

My feelings won't change things, but given the level of emotion regarding the subject I feel I may have hit a nerve.

That's all,
Hawk

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Well isn't coefficients like Wilks going to level the playing field?

I don't agree that it does btw. Easier for a 132 to pull 4x bodyweight than a SHW.

Regarding the wilks and how off it is see nuckol's article on how it is figured : http://www.strongerbyscience.com/whos-the-most-impressive-powerlifter/

Regarding the second comment, are we talking overall weight lift or ratio's? Because the heavier I get the more I can dl, but the fewer pull ups I can do. I think as long as total weight lifted is how we measure records and not reps or coeffecients than height would be the logical choice.

Hawk

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
I'm really struggling to name elite level PL'ers in weight classes 242 and over who are under 5'10"...

Amir, Byrd, "Screamer", Bryce, Green, Belkin...I can only assume I'm missing some under 5'10", but the majority of these guys compete @ 220...if anyone truly believes that being 2-3 inches taller (not taking into consideration actual leverages; torso, wingspan, etc) makes it impossible for them compete at a level playing field, I honestly think they're wrong...

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I'm really struggling to name elite level PL'ers in weight classes 242 and over who are under 5'10"...

Amir, Byrd, "Screamer", Bryce, Green, Belkin...I can only assume I'm missing some under 5'10", but the majority of these guys compete @ 220...if anyone truly believes that being 2-3 inches taller (not taking into consideration actual leverages; torso, wingspan, etc) makes it impossible for them compete at a level playing field, I honestly think they're wrong...

Hey Yumo,
I have appreciated your input and comedy. I can think of one lifter who is like 5'7" who owned the 242's for a while...Ed something or other. But, I guess you can't see my point and it looks like this conversation it's over. I appreciate the dialogue my man...

All the best,
Hawk

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
His name was cone or Kone I think. He was kinda of a passing thing, though.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Hey Yumo,
I have appreciated your input and comedy. I can think of one lifter who is like 5'7" who owned the 242's for a while...Ed something or other. But, I guess you can't see my point and it looks like this conversation it's over. I appreciate the dialogue my man...

All the best,
Hawk

I apologize...I wasn't aware of your many bouts with the GOAT...my most recent post mentioned today's RELEVANT names...I thought it was fairly obvious to leave out the Michael Jordan of the sport who did what, 99% of his damage from 181 to 220....?

it's actually even more sad for someone like you to use height as an excuse when you seemed to describe reaching a level many of us may never reach...

but since you like comedy so much, I'll leave on this note...

In today's Gender Neutral society, I guess it's true what they say...women aren't the only ones who cry about a couple inches.....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic