Members
Latest Member
small wee

It's broke...so fix it...height vs weight

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
...if you're over 6 ft tall, why even bother with weight classes under 220?

Exactly, if you're tall... you better pack on the mass to move big numbers.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
well, almost every individual human on planet earth is under six feet tall, except like ~10% of you, and we're all surviving.

as an architect i'm aware that the entire world is designed to be comfortable for someone who is my height. height of a door handle, a kitchen counter, the height of a chair, the depth of the seat, you "belly up" to a bar because a standard bar is 42" high which is the exact height of my navel from the floor... etc etc. my person comfort-privilege is unparalleled and i didn't realize how good it was until i had to start designing for short or tall people, who seem to never be comfortable.

i just think the pride of very tall people is hilarious, because you're not getting anything out of it. unless you're playing high school sports.

I think it's pretty dumb to say it's stupid to take pride in being tall when this whole forum is dedicated around the fact that the people here devote large amounts of time, energy, money-not even mentioning potentionally dangerous drugs-In order to manipulate the dementions of their bodies. Pretty laughable stuff. Maybe a little short guy sour grapes? Lifting weights is more useful for high school sports than most of the guys on here use of for, too...

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
But you can't lift yourself taller so I guess it's "stupid". What's the difference in the pride in being tall and the pride in being muscular or vascular either way your taking pride in your physical make up.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I think it's pretty dumb to say it's stupid to take pride in being tall when this whole forum is dedicated around the fact that the people here devote large amounts of time, energy, money-not even mentioning potentionally dangerous drugs-In order to manipulate the dementions of their bodies. Pretty laughable stuff. Maybe a little short guy sour grapes? Lifting weights is more useful for high school sports than most of the guys on here use of for, too...

Being proud of being tall is like Paris Hilton being proud of being rich. If you didn't earn it then I can't care.

Also, 5'10" isn't short. I'm taller than almost all women and like most men. Average height for a caucasian American male is 5'9"-ish. We're not all walking around feeling short.

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Look at the world record holders for DL. The biggest pulls in history are dudes all well over 6 feet.

Thanks for chiming in POB. First, we can talk exceptions to the rule in every sport with every record all day long. However, let's cut out the top and bottom 10% and get mean demographic. I would draw a graph but I am PC challenged.

Now, with that that major pool. Taller guys will have bigger totals, but sshorter guys will win pound for pound. So, why not have them lift against each other. I know of guys 6 foor or so who are rugged who cut to weigh 220. So, why do they have to compete against a short guy who is two axe handles wide and one tall? If ones wing span is 6'2 and the others is 5'4" what right do they have competing against each other besides weight?

Hawk

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
not sure how you expect a sport predicated on moving "x" amount of weight, to be dictated on anything other than someone's "x" amount of bodyweight...

the only thing you keep reiterating is pound for pound vs higher total...yes...typically classes 181 and under seem to yield higher BW multipliers...still not sure how that matters, unless that's your only argument...still waiting for you to list the hundreds of 5'4" manlets who dominate the 220 and up classes...

if you don't feel competitive in a specific weight class, reassess, focus on your own training and your own improvement...

there will always be an outlier to compare in most situations, but plenty of TALL people are still built with advantageous leverages...and I've never heard anyone worth a damn in this sport cry about "unfair" competition strictly based on height...

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
not sure how you expect a sport predicated on moving "x" amount of weight, to be dictated on anything other than someone's "x" amount of bodyweight...

the only thing you keep reiterating is pound for pound vs higher total...yes...typically classes 181 and under seem to yield higher BW multipliers...still not sure how that matters, unless that's your only argument...still waiting for you to list the hundreds of 5'4" manlets who dominate the 220 and up classes...

if you don't feel competitive in a specific weight class, reassess, focus on your own training and your own improvement...

there will always be an outlier to compare in most situations, but plenty of TALL people are still built with advantageous leverages...and I've never heard anyone worth a damn in this sport cry about "unfair" competition strictly based on height...

i don't think you're looking at it the right way.

almost every sport (team sport) is EXTREMELY height based. as in, it doesn't really matter at all how hard you work in most of them if you're not taller than average. height gives you stride length and makes you run faster throw farther etc etc. which is why every pro sport is dominated by people who are much taller than average. (this is part of why i don't give a shit about those sports)

weight lifting sports and combat sports are a little different because the goal is to compare apples to apples in competition, which is not only more fair but more indicative of the WORK an athlete put in. and it reduces the benefits of unearned advantages (to the biggest extent they can). that said i do think it's reasonable to have height classes especially for bodybuilding. Lee Priests's 22" arm at 5'4" is a proportion that CANNOT be replicated on a 6'2" man. never has been, never will be. therefore it's pretty worthless to compare his bodybuilding accomplishments with that man.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
powerlifting is not a TEAM sport, nor is it Aesthetic based like Bodybuilding...in its simplest form, it's about moving "x" amount of weight, in a pool of competitors who weigh an "x" amount...

I can continue to list lifters who dominate their respective weight classes at or above 6ft tall...hell, the highest recorded WILKS belongs to someone who stands 6'2"...the only people who complain about the reduced ROM of shorter competitors are people who typically aren't very competitive themselves...

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
powerlifting is not a TEAM sport, nor is it Aesthetic based like Bodybuilding...in its simplest form, it's about moving "x" amount of weight, in a pool of competitors who weigh an "x" amount...

I can continue to list lifters who dominate their respective weight classes at or above 6ft tall...hell, the highest recorded WILKS belongs to someone who stands 6'2"...the only people who complain about the reduced ROM of shorter competitors are people who typically aren't very competitive themselves...

like I said powerlifting is not a team sport which is part of why, unlike other team sports, there are classes to compare apples to apples in competition.

if you're arguing that ROM doesn't affect strength then you're just wrong.

if you think comparing a 6 foot tall 200 pounder to a 5 foot tall 200 pounder is apples to apples, then you're also wrong.

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
name one...just one...relevant 5 foot tall 200lb powerlifter...I'll wait...

and no one said ROM doesn't affect strength...there is a reason why powerlifting also involves the manipulation of ROM in order to move more weight...drastic arching, wide stance squats, sumo DL, etc...

but it's been said over and over again...if you're 6ft tall and competing in classes under 220, than expect to deal with much "shorter" competition...

using it as an excuse as to why you're (not you in general) not competitive is a cop out....plain and simple...

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
using it as an excuse as to why you're (not you in general) not competitive is a cop out....plain and simple...

not really. especially if you're natural you don't have a vast amount of choice about your total body size. there is a maximum amount of muscle you can add.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
not really. especially if you're natural you don't have a vast amount of choice about your total body size. there is a maximum amount of muscle you can add.

The problem is so many are afraid to gain mass... with mass comes muscle and fat. This isn't bbing. This is PLing. I'm not saying be a fat slob but being lean doesn't necessarily lend itself to strength sports.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic