Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

It's broke...so fix it...height vs weight

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Let's me throw it out there and you short bastards aint gonna like it. But, why don't we sperate classes by height instead of weight? It seams to me that strenght among other things is primarily about leverage. So, why do we take a tall lean guy and force him to compete against a short stocky guy? Sure there are exceptions but they are rare compared to the majority.

I would much rather see two 5'5 guys battle it out then watch one whipe the floor with the 198s and the other the 220's. Oh and the 5'7" guy take the 242's. Pound per pound the shorter guys are the strongest while the taller guys total more...so I say again...why do we do it by weight?

Retorts? Thoughts?

Hawk

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I like it. Being tall and seeing how much shorter the distance a short guy needs to move the weights is annoying. Still rather be tall tho hahaha

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
I like it. Being tall and seeing how much shorter the distance a short guy needs to move the weights is annoying. Still rather be tall tho hahaha

Sure, being tall does help in basketball lol...but pling not so much lol.

Hawk

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Yeah, and strength is not a linear progression with size and weight either. So the taller you are, the more weight you need to progress at the same rate.

That being said, look at the weight class everyone is competing in. At the later levels, the heights end up being all the same at each weight class. In other words, you should pick your weight class based on your height, not really your strength.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013

i really enjoy being very slightly above average height. 5'10" i see no value in being taller and i don't really want to be shorter either.

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
i really enjoy being very slightly above average height. 5'10" i see no value in being taller and i don't really want to be shorter either.

Naw I can't imagine living in a world where I was under six feet tall. Sounds terrible.

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
Naw I can't imagine living in a world where I was under six feet tall. Sounds terrible.

well, almost every individual human on planet earth is under six feet tall, except like ~10% of you, and we're all surviving.

as an architect i'm aware that the entire world is designed to be comfortable for someone who is my height. height of a door handle, a kitchen counter, the height of a chair, the depth of the seat, you "belly up" to a bar because a standard bar is 42" high which is the exact height of my navel from the floor... etc etc. my person comfort-privilege is unparalleled and i didn't realize how good it was until i had to start designing for short or tall people, who seem to never be comfortable.

i just think the pride of very tall people is hilarious, because you're not getting anything out of it. unless you're playing high school sports.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Let's me throw it out there and you short bastards aint gonna like it. But, why don't we sperate classes by height instead of weight? It seams to me that strenght among other things is primarily about leverage. So, why do we take a tall lean guy and force him to compete against a short stocky guy? Sure there are exceptions but they are rare compared to the majority.

I would much rather see two 5'5 guys battle it out then watch one whipe the floor with the 198s and the other the 220's. Oh and the 5'7" guy take the 242's. Pound per pound the shorter guys are the strongest while the taller guys total more...so I say again...why do we do it by weight?

Retorts? Thoughts?

Hawk
Look at the world record holders for DL. The biggest pulls in history are dudes all well over 6 feet.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Look at the world record holders for DL. The biggest pulls in history are dudes all well over 6 feet.

Yes, but isn't it still in the favor of those under 6ft? Dan Green is 5'9", Benedikt Mangusson is 5'11".

How does this relate to bench press?

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Eddie Hall, Larry Wheels, Mike T, Chad Wesley Smith, Thor, Shaw, Konstantinovs, Efferding, I think K. Oak is 5'11"....

^^^just off the top of my head, and all considered TALL Lifters who dominate their respective classes...if you're over 6 ft tall, why even bother with weight classes under 220?

Yomo

Yomo

MuscleHead
Dec 18, 2015
Yes, but isn't it still in the favor of those under 6ft? Dan Green is 5'9", Benedikt Mangusson is 5'11".

How does this relate to bench press?

Kirill is pretty short...:cool:

...yea yea yea...an extreme example, but an example nonetheless...

Kennelly, Mendlson, James Henderson, Bill Kaz., Josh Bryant, Bolton....the list goes on....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic