Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Human Menopausal Gonadotropin

Nitro

Nitro

Nov 19, 2014
Ok, so been doing a little research on HMG after having been asked about it.

Did a search here and didn't find anything so I'll post this here. Curious if anyone is using it now and if so how ie. dosage, duration, with or without HCG, etc.

Credit to
mad_cereal_lover PhD

HMG, or its full name Human Menopausal Gonadotropin, bears similarities to HCG in that while HCG is similar to human LH, HMG contains actual LH. Additionally (and crucially) though, HMG also contains purified FSH. The combination of these two hormones perform the effects described above: induction of natural testosterone production by Leydig cells, and subsequent formation and maturation of sperm cells. The result is improved and potentially recovered fertility for the male concerned.

Does HMG really work?
So often we hear about various different drugs and the science for them is sound, but real world evidence is lacking. There are a few studies performed on HMG over the last 25 years, and I would like to draw your attention to two of these studies, pointing out a few key details. The first goes back to 1985 by Ley & Leonard and is an important study as it looks at males who had previously encountered AAS treatment (treatment for low hormone levels including mainly testosterone). This study is available online and I encourage you to read it in more detail than the brief summary I will provide here.

They looked at 13 hypogonadotropic men all of who had undetectable levels of LH/FSH, lower than normal levels of testosterone and azoospermia, thus were unable to currently conceive. Obviously with the low hormonal levels there were issues with libido as well. Furthermore, there were instances where upon testis biopsies, Leydig cells were completely absent. Despite this, all 13 men responded to treatment with HCG with increasing testosterone levels. However, upon addition of HMG treatment, most men saw a further increase in testosterone, sometimes very large. HCG was able to increase sperm counts in most men slightly; however, only upon addition of HMG were sperm counts above 'normal' fertility levels (i.e. 20 million per ml) observed. The study indicates that the addition of HMG therapy surpasses any level that HCG treatment could achieve alone. Admittedly this is a particular subset of men who have medical conditions and abnormal hormone issues, but the results are interesting nonetheless.

The second is more recent by Buchter et al in 1998. This is even more interesting from the point of view that it looks at three times the number of cases as the previous study and in a different manner. Again, this study can be found online and I encourage you to read it. The most interesting result you could take away from this study is that in the group of men treated who suffered from hypopituitarism, all 21 treated with HCG/HMG achieved spermatogenesis and a large proportion (81%) was able to successfully achieve pregnancies. The discussion of this article is most interesting as it raises the points from its own study and the literature that many in the field believe that to achieve spermatogenesis and pregnancy in a gonadotropin-compromised individual requires combinational therapy of HCG and HMG. The important point to note is that HCG is not sufficient alone in many cases.

Given the fact that other studies point to HMG increasing endogenous testosterone further than HCG can, as those who have relatively 'normal' pituitaries but have compromised their function due to AAS use, it would be wise to consider the use of HMG. This would not only be for purposes of fertility, but to induce natural testosterone levels back to normal values when they have been suppressed. Treatment in this latest study was the use of HCG twice per week at 1000-2500IU per dose (Mon-Fri) and HMG three times per week at 75-150IU (Mon-Wed-Fri). Thus for bodybuilders seeking to regain fertility, spermatogenesis and restore natural testosterone levels but wishing to keep costs down, a weekly dose of the lower ends should be employed for at least one month.

A schedule would involve:
Monday: 1000-1500IU HCG + 75IU HMG
Wednesday: 75IU HMG
Friday: 1000-1500IU HCG + 75IU HMG

Depending on the amount of suppression this cycle may need to be lengthened for a further period. Please note this information is for hypothetical purposes and neither I nor MuscleTalk recommends the use of any prescription medicines without the consultation of a qualified physician.

References:
  • Buchter et al (1998). Pulsatile GnRH or human chorionic gonadotropin/human menopausal gonadotropin as effective treatment for men with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism: a review of 42 cases. Eur J Endo 139: 298-303.
  • Ley & Leonard (1985). Male Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism: Factors Influencing Response to Human Chorionic Gonadotropin and Human Menopausal Gonadotropin, Including Prior Exogenous Androgens. J Clin Endo Metab 61(4); 746-752.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
I used it a few years ago....in my opinion it should be used if you plan on staying off gear for a long time after HMG use....if you are using between cycles it might be a waste.

I am not sure what you are researching it for but hope that helps.

I also got mine from RaVeN back in the day who was an IP rep....so not sure if it was the real deal but i would assume so .

Nitro

Nitro

Nov 19, 2014
Thanks Vale, I really didn't know much about it myself when someone asked me about it so I just wanted to feed my brain. Always like to hear users experiences as well and not just rely on studies that have been posted.

Appreciate it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Expensive stuff. My wife and I were tossing around the idea of a baby a couple years ago or so. I bought menopur I think was the brand. Came from a euro pharmacy.

It's still in the fridge with the butter and humalog.

Nitro

Nitro

Nov 19, 2014
Expensive stuff. My wife and I were tossing around the idea of a baby a couple years ago or so. I bought menopur I think was the brand. Came from a euro pharmacy.

It's still in the fridge with the butter and humalog.

I got a source that has it so I grabbed 5 amps relatively cheap. Debating if I want to try it or not. Still doing some research. I think for some it may be a better choice.

pix3r

pix3r

Mar 14, 2017
Good post Nitro.

I can tell you first hand that HMG does work, to what degree I don't know just yet.
I got off of AS a year back so the wife and I could have a kid. My count was super low (1million per 1ml) so i did a few rounds of clomid and nolva but lh/fsh were still zero. 3 month after being off I had a re-test, count was Zero! (tested twice just to make sure)

Doc put me on HCG 2000 mcg 3x/week. After 2 months I was back up to 2.3 Million per 1ml. Added HMG 75 iu 3x/week starting Feb and i'm due for a re-test the 1st week of April.

I can tell you that I "feel" a lot better on both v.s. just HCG. My boys have also doubled in size, in fact i've dropped HCG down to 1500 mcg 3x week.

only side i've had so far at both HCG and HMG levels has been the water retention and added fat during PCT. I've put on 20 lbs and 2 pant sizes in a year!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic