Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Love, Hate relationship with Salt...

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
So I love my salt, but my doctors told me, my sodium levels are way to high. I drink a gallon of water a day, I work out hard, to the point where I'm soaked, when I'm done. I actually crave salt. I know its not good for me, I know its making me retain water. When I take my socks off, there is the sock ring around my ankles.

So I gave in, today is my second day with out adding salt to my food. I got to tell you this is harder than I thought it would be. I'm hoping it will just become a habit for me, I'm counting 19 more days and it will become a habit.

If you guys have any good ideas on what to put on my food, besides salt, all help would me appreciated.

OMS

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
So I love my salt, but my doctors told me, my sodium levels are way to high. I drink a gallon of water a day, I work out hard, to the point where I'm soaked, when I'm done. I actually crave salt. I know its not good for me, I know its making me retain water. When I take my socks off, there is the sock ring around my ankles.

So I gave in, today is my second day with out adding salt to my food. I got to tell you this is harder than I thought it would be. I'm hoping it will just become a habit for me, I'm counting 19 more days and it will become a habit.

If you guys have any good ideas on what to put on my food, besides salt, all help would me appreciated.

OMS
What about potassium chloride? (salt substitute) I use it all the time anyway to balance out sodium / potassium intake.

I dont know your specific medical condition so dont take this advice....but in normal people you can balance out your sodium intake with potassium and not experience negative sides of a high sodium intake. I do it all the time in high salt foods without experiencing bloat. I use them in 50/50 ratio in things like soups...etc.

Heck, if I had a very high sodium meal, sometimes I will mix tsp of salt substitute and add some drink flavoring and drink it. The leaner I have gotten, the less I "bloat" but it definitely works.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
i feel your pain, i just eat pink Himalayan salt straight....

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
i feel your pain, i just eat pink Himalayan salt straight....
That would be me, Ill look into Potassium Chloride, see if that might work. In the mean time, today is day 3 with adding salt to my food. I thought I would have cravings by now, but not yet. Keep going and see what happens.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Buy bigger socks....;)

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Damn man how much salt were you taking in?

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Whats your sodium level?
The range is 136 to 144 mine was 146 and flagged as too thigh,

Well I would cook with salt in everything, and them add more on top of my food. every meal I had I would add salt.

Well today is day 4 with out adding any salt to my food, I must say its not easy thing, but I have dropped a bunch of water so far. I no longer have the rings around my ankles when I take my socks off, So I don't have to buy bigger socks. :) I am noticing that I look bigger in just 4 day, not because I am, just you can see shit better with out all the water.

enjoy_tren

enjoy_tren

VIP Member
Jan 7, 2014
Thats crazy you have that much water retention only being a few points above normal.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Thats crazy you have that much water retention only being a few points above normal.
if you look at the range its not that big of a gap, like 10 points if you conciser Im over 2 point of the range. that is like 20% over the acceptable range.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
General update, Its been a week, since I stopped the salt. That's the only thing that changes. I was 284 Lbs before I started, and Last night I was 273lbs, I think my strength is suffering a little because of it. I have noticed a lot more cramping, in my calves, and other muscles.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic