Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

"Best" Way To Donate Blood?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Lapsing into layman-speak, aas use is assumed to "thicken" blood to some extent, possibly to the extent of making it dangerous for the aas user, clots, strokes, heart attacks, etc. Sometimes suggested as more of a threat from Boldenone use than other aas.

Donating blood is often advised as a means of minimizing this effect, but, how to do?

The Red Cross has different ways to donate blood, with different imposed time delays between repeat donations. You can donate blood at various places, but I am assuming Red Cross rules govern all?

So . . . . best for a worried aas user to do the simple whole blood every 56 days, or the "platelets," or something else?

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
For me thats not assumed, its a fact.
If I use more AAS then my normal TRT my H&H goes up.

I am lucky to have a wife who is a nurse and does infusions all day long so I just have her do it at home.
She gets a kit from work and I do it while watching TV.

Last time she used a garden hose, 16g needle.
Took only a few minutes and it was done.

I dont know how its done for others but I am sure a doctor can order a phlebotomy but might require a bunch of testing to find out why its thick if you dont tell him/her that you use a ton of AAS.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
For me thats not assumed, its a fact.
If I use more AAS then my normal TRT my H&H goes up.

I am lucky to have a wife who is a nurse and does infusions all day long so I just have her do it at home.
She gets a kit from work and I do it while watching TV.

Last time she used a garden hose, 16g needle.
Took only a few minutes and it was done.

I dont know how its done for others but I am sure a doctor can order a phlebotomy but might require a bunch of testing to find out why its thick if you dont tell him/her that you use a ton of AAS.

lol, I never forgot some other helpful post you once made. Vaguely remember somebody else with medical knowledge joining into that thread.

But, unless you are willing to loan me your wife (scientific purposes only of course), or I can grow the pair required to get some medical equipment and do myself, well, then, I am a slave to what RedCross offers, and the different type "bleed-outs" and imposed time frames indicated on the Red Cross website.

So, what choice from the Red Cross menu is best for dorks like me?

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
Just do a double whole donation. They test your iron count prior regardless. Generally they will give you a choice on what to donate but in times of need they will guide you to what they want. I'm AB+ so they will take whatever I can give. Last time was plasma, platelets before and blood on occasion.

Also as I am not in the medical field if you aren't already taking 81mgs baby asprin while on gear you are not helping yourself. They actually ask you to not take baby asprin 48hrs prior as it thins blood. Do with that info what you will.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
If you check ahead, there are many donation centers that do "Double Reds" where you can donate packed RBCs while keeping your plasma. I can get my HGB & HCT down to high normal with once every 3mos donations of double reds. An easy way to find out if you are indeed "high" is to donate anyway. They use an I-stat machine that gives an Iron, HGB & HCT reading in seconds (free too :) ) Ask them what you are at if they don't tell you with a scared look on their faces, you're prolly not that high. Aspirin is ok as a stroke or embolism prophylactic (preventer) but it only keeps platelets from "clumping" so it's not much of a blood thinner per se.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I have done home "bleed outs" in a pinch but I'd advise against it without some training. Placing an IV in yourself is quite an experience, lol and my kitchen counter and sink looked like an abattoir after.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
I donate 1 pint of whole blood every few months. That keeps my HCT well under 50% and hgb under 17. I never run more than low-moderate doses.

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
If you check ahead, there are many donation centers that do "Double Reds" where you can donate packed RBCs while keeping your plasma. I can get my HGB & HCT down to high normal with once every 3mos donations of double reds. An easy way to find out if you are indeed "high" is to donate anyway. They use an I-stat machine that gives an Iron, HGB & HCT reading in seconds (free too :) ) Ask them what you are at if they don't tell you with a scared look on their faces, you're prolly not that high. Aspirin is ok as a stroke or embolism prophylactic (preventer) but it only keeps platelets from "clumping" so it's not much of a blood thinner per se.

Mike I was going to tag you in my response for a better point man but didn't want to blindly volunteer you. Glad you chimed in.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
How do you guys feel after doing the double red donation? I'm a candidate for that, got very high iron levels, however I never did it before.

I normally do just whole blood, and I feel weaker for about day afterwards. Noticeable less strength in the gym after donating.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
How do you guys feel after doing the double red donation? I'm a candidate for that, got very high iron levels, however I never did it before.

I normally do just whole blood, and I feel weaker for about day afterwards. Noticeable less strength in the gym after donating.
Thats because you just gave away a pint of your oxygen carriers to your muscels and organs. When you use to a much higher o2 and nitrogen transportation system. Especially if your on gear.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012

I feel really weak and tired too....but it only lasts for about a day. They always tell me to drink extra water, but I already drink at minimum 1.5 gals lol.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
I usually do mine on Friday evening.
during the day I drink and eat a bit extra.
Same thing the following day.

dont feel much weaker but I dont go to the gym on Saturday.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic