Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

The Old Mans Training Log

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
I don't know that I can do that... lol I really done like going home, so going to the gym every night is kind of way out of having to go home. lol. Can I go to do some cardio or light stuff... ? (Please don't make me go home)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This is why there are bars.

_3M_

_3M_

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2015
Good work man. Good to see another member joining POB, stick with the program and you will get strong.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Wave 1, Week 1, Day 2
Cop bench press 5x5 195lbs
5 count paused Squat 1x3 245lbs
Fatique drop 10% 4x3 225lbs
floor press 1x7 225lbs
Rep Drop 4x5 205

Questions, On my squats I dont know what my 1 rep max is at this point. so for the 5 count paused quat 1 set of 3, I just worked up to a weight by sets of 3, I think I missed this, because I had more in the tank. The squats felt good, its been a while, because my lower back has been hurting me, and I always stop adding weight not because my legs are tired, but because my back starts hurting. This week it seems, it has not been sore at all. Im hoping it keeps going like that.

The comp bench, I did sets of 5 until I hit 195lbs then did 5sets of 5 working at that weight. Did I do that correctly.? as you guys can tell my bench is week, I got a long way to go.

Diet still good. Im having fun with all the carbs. Friday I weighed 275lbs.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Wave 1, Week 1, Day 2
Cop bench press 5x5 195lbs
5 count paused Squat 1x3 245lbs
Fatique drop 10% 4x3 225lbs
floor press 1x7 225lbs
Rep Drop 4x5 205

Questions, On my squats I dont know what my 1 rep max is at this point. so for the 5 count paused quat 1 set of 3, I just worked up to a weight by sets of 3, I think I missed this, because I had more in the tank. The squats felt good, its been a while, because my lower back has been hurting me, and I always stop adding weight not because my legs are tired, but because my back starts hurting. This week it seems, it has not been sore at all. Im hoping it keeps going like that.

The comp bench, I did sets of 5 until I hit 195lbs then did 5sets of 5 working at that weight. Did I do that correctly.? as you guys can tell my bench is week, I got a long way to go.

Diet still good. Im having fun with all the carbs. Friday I weighed 275lbs.

Glad you're enjoying the carbs... I can't for the life of me understand why so many bodybuilders or general dudes in the gym deprive themselves of such an abundance of energy. Weight has been steady which is a good sign you might be onto a recomp, but then again with the bump in carbs you are holding more water in the muscle belly than usual... So a bit more time and we'll talk about where to go from there.

Your 1RM on your lifts is very unimportant so don't worry about that. Don't try and base your weights for the day off of a 1RM. Use that RPE. You did the paused squats perfectly by working up in the number of reps to match the top set. That's how you find your RPE. Try and be aware of when you are hitting @7, @8 and from there make smaller jumps to find @9. I don't want max effort of failure on these things.

Which is why your back isn't hurting. If you work in low rep ranges using more weight and more sets in my opinion experience and observation you will gain as much muscle as any other method, sometimes more. Plus not being so fatigued halfway thru a set allows you to keep your form in check. When your body fatigues doing a set of 10 on squats even with lighter weight, your start rounding and leaning. This not only puts you at risk of injury but also teaches you to squat wrong. If by rep 6 of 10 your form breaks down, you are doing almost as many reps wrong as you did right.

Bench you did correctly as well. Work up in sets of 5 and then when you find a 7 or 8 do the 5 sets. 5x5 days will become your nightmare days soon. Picking a weight is a challenge. I'm not really looking for high intensity here. I do want a challenge. But really what I want to see is 5 sets of 5 with consistent looking repetition. This day is important to practice your technique.

Speaking of technique, do try and get me videos. If you don't you aren't getting your money's worth here. Believe me when I say technique is where the most progress can be made. Video review is key here. You don't have to post here. You can email and I always respect every clients confidentiality.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Which lifts do you want to see videos of, and Ill try and get some emailed to you of those lifts each week.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Which lifts do you want to see videos of, and Ill try and get some emailed to you of those lifts each week.
Squat bench dead. The competition lifts. Just film the top sets. So the heavy triple. The 5th set of 5x5 and on 15x2 days maybe sets 1, 5, 9, 15. Also any assistance lift you think you are doing wrong.

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Wave 1 Week 1 Day 3

Competition Squat 1x3 worked up to 315lbs
Fatigue drop 10% 4x3 275lbs
Sumo Block Pull 3x1 worked up to 315lbs
Bulgarian Split Squat 2x7 no added weight, was supposed to do 5x7 but my legs were fried.

I have to say the split Squats I already hate. Today my legs are sore, usually takes a few days for it to set in.

Question how high are the blocks supposed to be on sumo block pull ? We don't have blocks in my gym so I just used the rack, but thinking about it, seems I had it set a little high. There was about 6" under the 45lb plate to the ground. I was thinking about making some blocks out of 2"x6" maybe stack 2 together, so the blocks would be 4" tall. Ill just take them with me next time, and leave them there.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Wave 1 Week 1 Day 3

Competition Squat 1x3 worked up to 315lbs
Fatigue drop 10% 4x3 275lbs
Sumo Block Pull 3x1 worked up to 315lbs
Bulgarian Split Squat 2x7 no added weight, was supposed to do 5x7 but my legs were fried.

I have to say the split Squats I already hate. Today my legs are sore, usually takes a few days for it to set in.

Question how high are the blocks supposed to be on sumo block pull ? We don't have blocks in my gym so I just used the rack, but thinking about it, seems I had it set a little high. There was about 6" under the 45lb plate to the ground. I was thinking about making some blocks out of 2"x6" maybe stack 2 together, so the blocks would be 4" tall. Ill just take them with me next time, and leave them there.
Blocks 2 to 4 inches

OldManStrength

OldManStrength

VIP Member
Apr 8, 2015
Wave 1 Week 1 Day 4

Lats, pull downs 5x10 with 200lbs
military press 5x10 185lbs
Triceps 5x10 cable press whole stack.
hamstrings, stiff leg dead's 5x10 115 lbs
biceps, dumbbell curls 3x10 35lb
Abductors 3x10

I loved this day, seemed like everything was clicking, I probably should have gone a little easy on the Stiff leg dead's, cause I'm sore as hell.. lol Still on track with my diet, This was Wednesday. Yesterday Thursday I was out running around all day, and did not have my food with me, so I did not get all my meals in. I took the night off, to try and recover from Wednesday. I have been doing some stretches for my hips and lower back in the evenings, and practicing squat technique at home. Trying to get my hip crease below my knees.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Careful trying to stretch the low back. Often times that can make it worse. Try using a lacrosse ball to just smash into the tight tissues instead. When you find a tender spot just lay on it for 2 to 4 minutes. You can use that ball anywhere on the body too. Pecs glutes traps shoulder blades you name it. Much more effective than stretching.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic