Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Throwing Up Blood... Partially Torn Esophagus after legday

H

HardcoreBodybuilda

Jun 26, 2016
After a week of 1500 kcals at 9 weeks out, I had easily gotten 3 weeks ahead as far as fat loss is concerned. My maintenance kcals/day are 5000 to give you an idea. I'm 6'1" @ 235 lbs (before the following incident):

I get home after training legs, I'm depleted and feel like shit, i just want to go lie down.
So i slam my protein shake and leave the kitchen.

One minute later, i violently throw up my gallon of water and protein shake. The water and shake combo have a pinkish hue. Fuck. I proceed to half fill my sink with blood I've thrown up.

15 hours later i call an ambulance.

Long story short, i get a gallon of IV saline because i lost about 300-400mL of blood, possibly a lot more, and couldn't hold down anything for 24hrs, including liquid. My esophagus is partially torn, not ruptured. Still, this was a serious problem. It doesn't seem real quite yet, hasn't hit me fully.

I was killing it, now i feel like the loss of blood will sabotage my prep. I lost about 17% of my blood, as a rough estimate.

What do you guys think? Should i give it a week or so of 60-70% intensity to baby myself and heal up? Then hit it hard 100% and finish through?

I spent 3 yrs building my blood volume, if you get my drift. So I'm back to natty baseline blood volume now. Am i fucked or not?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

H

HardcoreBodybuilda

Jun 26, 2016
After a week of 1500 kcals at 9 weeks out, I had easily gotten 3 weeks ahead as far as fat loss is concerned. My maintenance kcals/day are 5000 to give you an idea. I'm 6'1" @ 235 lbs (before the following incident):

I get home after training legs, I'm depleted and feel like shit, i just want to go lie down.
So i slam my protein shake and leave the kitchen.

One minute later, i violently throw up my gallon of water and protein shake. The water and shake combo have a pinkish hue. Fuck. I proceed to half fill my sink with blood I've thrown up.

15 hours later i call an ambulance.

Long story short, i get a gallon of IV saline because i lost about 300-400mL of blood, possibly a lot more, and couldn't hold down anything for 24hrs, including liquid. My esophagus is partially torn, not ruptured. Still, this was a serious problem. It doesn't seem real quite yet, hasn't hit me fully.

I was killing it, now i feel like the loss of blood will sabotage my prep. I lost about 17% of my blood, as a rough estimate based on the blood work the hospital showed me.

What do you guys think? Should i give it a week or so of 60-70% intensity to baby myself and heal up? Then hit it hard 100% and finish through?

I spent 3 yrs building my blood volume, if you get my drift. So I'm back to natty baseline blood volume now. Am i fucked or not?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Go based on how you feel. Your body will let you know you're pushing it too hard. Did they have to repair your esophagus? Did the doc say that straining would cause it to tear again?

Honestly, what was your RBC count? 17% doesn't really tell us much. Most of us, because we are athletes/weight lifters, have higher than normal red blood cells. If you lost 17%, but you were sitting at a count of 14, then no biggie. If you were at 10 and lost 17, that might be getting a little low, but you will also feel like crap too.

Want to hear a worse case? I ended up with a rare form of food poisoning one night (Scombroid). We knew what it was because my wife and I both work in Emergency medicine, but it was still terrible. I vomited several times. Over the next couple days, I was feeling like crap, until it got to the point where all I wanted to do was sleep. One night I got up and kept passing out. I couldn't make it back to the bed. Went to the ER and found my RBC was down to 5.5. I normally run high too, hitting about 16 a few months before this happened. Turns out, I tore my stomach from vomiting. by the time I was admitted and went to surgery, my count was down to 4.5.

Took me months before I could even get through a full workout. I was allowed to go right back to normal activity too. They told me "Your body will let you know". It sure as hell did too, immediately.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Bro , the esophagus is not actually a leg muscle .. you should check your exercises to make sure you are doing the right ones for your legs .. or just cut down on the chit chat between sets ..

Lol , you must have been maxing out to do that man .. how did it happen ?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
this is the part that interests my self-centered "self" as in how did it happen, how can I avoid this?

shortz describes several vomiting episodes, not pleasant, but is that all it might take for your body to do this much damage to itself? hardcore's even more extreme, just one vomiting episode as far as I can tell.

Definitely not mocking or challenging here, I am trying to learn. Did doctors have guesses as to underlying conditions and causes, or as to what might be expected, or avoided, in the future, long term?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
this is the part that interests my self-centered "self" as in how did it happen, how can I avoid this?

shortz describes several vomiting episodes, not pleasant, but is that all it might take for your body to do this much damage to itself? hardcore's even more extreme, just one vomiting episode as far as I can tell.

Definitely not mocking or challenging here, I am trying to learn. Did doctors have guesses as to underlying conditions and causes, or as to what might be expected, or avoided, in the future, long term?

I had what was called a mallory weiss tear. It is actually more common in alcoholics from their violent and excessive vomiting. It was actually quite unusual.

I am assuming that OP's condition came from straining or grunting too hard. Never heard of that one happening without some kind of trauma though.

H

HardcoreBodybuilda

Jun 26, 2016
I've been running ECA stack and superdrol. The docs said the aspirin could've weakened the esophagus.

No shit, the esophagus is not a leg muscle. Re read.

H

HardcoreBodybuilda

Jun 26, 2016
I had what was called a mallory weiss tear. It is actually more common in alcoholics from their violent and excessive vomiting. It was actually quite unusual.

I am assuming that OP's condition came from straining or grunting too hard. Never heard of that one happening without some kind of trauma though.
That was actually my diagnosis.

H

HardcoreBodybuilda

Jun 26, 2016
Go based on how you feel. Your body will let you know you're pushing it too hard. Did they have to repair your esophagus? Did the doc say that straining would cause it to tear again?

Honestly, what was your RBC count? 17% doesn't really tell us much. Most of us, because we are athletes/weight lifters, have higher than normal red blood cells. If you lost 17%, but you were sitting at a count of 14, then no biggie. If you were at 10 and lost 17, that might be getting a little low, but you will also feel like crap too.

Want to hear a worse case? I ended up with a rare form of food poisoning one night (Scombroid). We knew what it was because my wife and I both work in Emergency medicine, but it was still terrible. I vomited several times. Over the next couple days, I was feeling like crap, until it got to the point where all I wanted to do was sleep. One night I got up and kept passing out. I couldn't make it back to the bed. Went to the ER and found my RBC was down to 5.5. I normally run high too, hitting about 16 a few months before this happened. Turns out, I tore my stomach from vomiting. by the time I was admitted and went to surgery, my count was down to 4.5.

Took me months before I could even get through a full workout. I was allowed to go right back to normal activity too. They told me "Your body will let you know". It sure as hell did too, immediately.

So i got blood work done about 3 months ago.

Everything was healthy. My hematocrit was high, about 18. After the blood loss, I'm at normal range levels of about 15. So that's where i got 17% loss from.

I'm glad to hear you're alright after your scare! How long did it take to get back up to normal RBC levels?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Going from a thread of some interest into a very informative one. Thanks you two for the answers, hoping this will not close the thread, there may be more people, more histories, more doctors with possible explanations.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
So i got blood work done about 3 months ago.

Everything was healthy. My hematocrit was high, about 18. After the blood loss, I'm at normal range levels of about 15. So that's where i got 17% loss from.

I'm glad to hear you're alright after your scare! How long did it take to get back up to normal RBC levels?

I honestly don't remember if they actually took another CBC post surgery. I just know it took at least 6 months before I was starting to feel normal again. It really sucked for that time though. Just wanted to sleep a lot

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I was hospitalized and was given 9 units of blood transfusion.(long story). was still anemic until about 2 months afterwards. not worth messing with it I'd abort the prep and regroup then come back in the future.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic