Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Rates of Mortality Are Higher Among Professional Male Bodybuilders

T

Tony Delk

Sep 15, 2010
Sources of Funding: AWP is a National Institutes of Health (NIH) K12 Scholar supported by a Male Reproductive Health Research Career (MRHR) Development Physician-Scientist Award (HD073917-01) from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Program (to Dolores J. Lamb).

Introduction

Professional male bodybuilders use high-dose testosterone and other performance enhancing drugs to improve athletic performance. These anabolic agents are potentially associated with negative sequelae including hyperlipidemia, cardiovascular effects, and possible liver damage. We sought to determine if the use of high-dose testosterone and other performance enhancing drugs could be linked to a higher mortality rate when compared to the general population.

Methods

An initial cohort of all 1,578 professional male bodybuilders who competed between 1948-2014 was identified, and complete mortality data were obtained for 597. This cohort was identified via competition listings and bodybuilding websites. Proof of life or death was compiled using data from public records, competition listings, bodybuilding websites, and social media venues. Mortality rates among bodybuilders were compared with CDC mortality rates for an age-matched male population.

Results

The mean age within the study cohort was 47.5 years (range 25.0-81.7) and mean age during competitive years was 24.6 years (range 18-47). Of the 597 bodybuilders with mortality data, 58 (9.7%) were reported dead and 539 living. Only 40 deaths were expected in this population based on age-matched data, yielding a standardized mortality rate (95% confidence interval) of 1.34 (1.10-1.88) for these competitors, which is higher than in the general population. The mean age of death was 47.7 years (range 26.6-75.4), and no significant difference in mortality rates was observed above the age of 50 (Figure 1).

Conclusions

Mortality rates of bodybuilders within the cohort were 34% higher than those in an age-matched general U.S. male population. The cause of this increased mortality is currently unclear, but supports the possibility that the use of performance enhancing drugs and the unique competitive training (e.g. extreme weight changes) may contribute to deaths among younger professional bodybuilders. Current work is focused on determining cause of death by linkage to the National Death Index.

https://www.auanet.org/university/abstract_detail.cfm?id=MP47-17&meetingID=16SAN

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Not surprised. We really do need RCT's to be more sure.

There are many different definitions of what healthy is. I think at its most basic level it's homeostasis. Not to be confused with the like of IronCore and his homosexuality.

If you bring testosterone levels way above normal the endocrine system is not in homeostasis. Neither are many other systems while under such stress.

I would even venture to guess that being in a near constant state of anabolism could be detrimental.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
I have two Chihuahuas 16 & 18yrs old. I had a Great Dane when I was younger who died of old age at 8.5yrs. Bigger bodies stress harder than little ones. Indian Yogis have lived past a century for a long time by practicing fasting and keeping a very low calorie diet. Oxidative stress, Ammonia, etc. happen in higher amounts with excess Body Mass and food intake.

It's a shame this couldn't be broken down into weight classes as I feel a Lee Labrada or Frank Zane would certainly outlive a "Big" Ramy or Branch Warren sized guy (if all else was equal).

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Not surprised. We really do need RCT's to be more sure.

There are many different definitions of what healthy is. I think at its most basic level it's homeostasis. Not to be confused with the like of IronCore and his homosexuality.

If you bring testosterone levels way above normal the endocrine system is not in homeostasis. Neither are many other systems while under such stress.

I would even venture to guess that being in a near constant state of anabolism could be detrimental.

You look cute when you put that education to work. Would smash.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
good thing I am NOT a professional bber I am gonna outlive ALL you bastards:)

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
It Almost has 8-x

I keeel you!

All kidding aside, let's face it..... At any point, if we're increasing our heart rate and fluctuating body size, weight etc; we're causing the heart to enlarge and work harder. If the heart has a shelflife, we're just shortening it, ultimately.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Nobody is getting out alive....

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I keeel you!

All kidding aside, let's face it..... At any point, if we're increasing our heart rate and fluctuating body size, weight etc; we're causing the heart to enlarge and work harder. If the heart has a shelflife, we're just shortening it, ultimately.

Amen!

So something we all have in common, I believe human mortality rates are hovering around 100% currently.

Laying around on the couch getting fat and looking like shit is another way of dying, so **** it, my wife can't keep her hands off me she is beautiful and I am on old focker, I always get compliments on my physique from men and women and I am proud of what I have achieved in my life.

I am ready whenever the Good Lord wants me.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Laying around on the couch getting fat and looking like shit is another way of dying, so **** it, my wife can't keep her hands off me she is beautiful and I am on old focker, I always get compliments on my physique from men and women and I am proud of what I have achieved in my life.

I am ready whenever the Good Lord wants me.

Oh I didn't say that I was going to stop doing what I was doing! :).

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic