Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Dead Lift Form Critique

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Video from today: Any thing need changing?

[video]https://youtu.be/IhTpDDMPux4[/video]

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Looks good man.
For your DL, where do you think that your weight distribution is at on your feet at the beginning and the end of your pull?

I ask because it appears sometimes to change. NOT a huge deal until it gets mad heavy, just curious.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Video from todays dead lifts. Does everything look ok? Are my hips too high? Any critiques?

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Going by your shin angle, it looks like the bar is a bit out in front of you. This would also put your shoulders out in front too.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Looks good man.
For your DL, where do you think that your weight distribution is at on your feet at the beginning and the end of your pull?

I ask because it appears sometimes to change. NOT a huge deal until it gets mad heavy, just curious.

Sorry T, I never responded! Sometimes it feels like my weight shifts forward to my toes.

Does that need changing?

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Going by your shin angle, it looks like the bar is a bit out in front of you. This would also put your shoulders out in front too.

Thanks, so you think pulling the bar to my schins would help?

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Bar is too far out from your shins to start. Try for the bar to be in the center of your foot... Like an inch from where your ankle meets the foot. When you bend down to grab the bar, don't hinge at your waist. Look how it positions your upper back in the video you just posted.

One of the best things I was taught: break at your hips and not your waist.

Notice when you set the weight down you do this weird bouncy thing off your quads. That's because you're bending at the waist again to put the bar down. That'll hurt you more than the lift will.

Imagine the bar having to travel in a perfectly vertical line. The way you get it to stay in line on the descent is by dropping your ass down and back. Same thing for the initiation of the pull. If you aren't about to fall backwards before you initiate your leg drive you aren't far back enough. The whole "pulling the slack outta the bar" comes from having tension on the bar with your hands, squeezing the shit out of it, rocking backwards to have your posterior chain engage, pulling your shoulders back to get the lats tense and tied into your abs (which should've been flexed before ever going to grab the bar)... At that point the weight should be off the ground (once the shoulders rock backwards) about an inch. The heavier the pull the less likely it is to come off the ground, but I've found that the best position I'm ever in has the shit breaking the floor before I ever accelerate upward.

You rushed that 315 and it looked all lethargic... You looked bored. Use explosion to your advantage. Get into position, use tons of leg drive, and when you hit your knees try and fuxk the bar as hard as you can. See if you can pop it off your dick an inch or two. If you're gonna do something to compromise your already compromised back, do that shit with authority.!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Thanks, so you think pulling the bar to my schins would help?

When you position yourself properly, as you drop your hips back your shins make contact with the bar. Like BI said, if the bar is too far forward, your shoulders are also. Think about having your shoulders directly above the bar. If it's too far forward, when you go for a heavy pull your legs will lock before your hips come forward and you'll be stuck there trying to bring the bar up your quads, hunched over like an old man.

Fill the lifts from the side next time and you can evaluate the shin angle/hip depth/shoulder alignment better. Do it for each pull. Reevaluate each time.

And stop the finger twitching and hyperventilating. You want everything tight and tense, not all floppy and shit.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
Turbo, would you consider doing some lifts in a thong, or NUDE perhaps?
I was watching these while Lizard King was rubbing my feet and he asked if I would request them for him.

Great job BTW keep it up

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Bar is too far out from your shins to start. Try for the bar to be in the center of your foot... Like an inch from where your ankle meets the foot. When you bend down to grab the bar, don't hinge at your waist. Look how it positions your upper back in the video you just posted.

One of the best things I was taught: break at your hips and not your waist.

Notice when you set the weight down you do this weird bouncy thing off your quads. That's because you're bending at the waist again to put the bar down. That'll hurt you more than the lift will.

Imagine the bar having to travel in a perfectly vertical line. The way you get it to stay in line on the descent is by dropping your ass down and back. Same thing for the initiation of the pull. If you aren't about to fall backwards before you initiate your leg drive you aren't far back enough. The whole "pulling the slack outta the bar" comes from having tension on the bar with your hands, squeezing the shit out of it, rocking backwards to have your posterior chain engage, pulling your shoulders back to get the lats tense and tied into your abs (which should've been flexed before ever going to grab the bar)... At that point the weight should be off the ground (once the shoulders rock backwards) about an inch. The heavier the pull the less likely it is to come off the ground, but I've found that the best position I'm ever in has the shit breaking the floor before I ever accelerate upward.

You rushed that 315 and it looked all lethargic... You looked bored. Use explosion to your advantage. Get into position, use tons of leg drive, and when you hit your knees try and fuxk the bar as hard as you can. See if you can pop it off your dick an inch or two. If you're gonna do something to compromise your already compromised back, do that shit with authority.!

Ok, I think I understand what you mean. I'm gonna do speed dead lifts today and I'll see if I can work on it. I'll try to video it.

So I need to get my feet in the middle of the bar and Sit back to keep the butt down? I remember reading for sumo pulls you would feel like your falling back if you do them correctly.

This is just gonna take some practice.

Also, the reason I wasnt trying rip the bar off the floor was just because I wasn't sure how my back was gonna do. I'll try to work on this.

Thanks for taking the time do write this out. I'll do my best to implement this.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Turbo, would you consider doing some lifts in a thong, or NUDE perhaps?
I was watching these while Lizard King was rubbing my feet and he asked if I would request them for him.

Great job BTW keep it up

Hahaha, I think it can be arranged. I might have to change gyms afterwards though.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic