Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Slow Deadlifts... Super Slow

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I watched a vid from Mark Bell where he talked about performing slow conventional deadlifts. He would use a tempo of 4 sec up - 2 sec hold - 4 sec to lower the bar. Mark claims this training method helped him hit an all time PR pull of 705.

I wanted to ask and see if anyone has tried these super slow pulls? And have you had good results from performing them?

I'm thinking of giving them a try as one of my assisting lifts.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Tempo squats. So why not dl? You will have to be very strict on staying behind the bar.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Tempo squats. So why not dl? You will have to be very strict on staying behind the bar.

It seems like something very simple but I never thought of them and I was wondering if it slipped all of our minds.

Another interesting vid I watched on ST TV was the episode with Pete Rubish. He showed and talked about how he does pause deadlifts. He pauses just after breaking the floor and then explodes upwards. So many pause at the knee and Pete feels it's more effective pausing just after the break from the floor.

Just trying to spark some new talks in our PLing world... So... talk

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
What percentages would you be using for pause dl?

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
My back just snapped thinking about it....I'm now crippled, thanks.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It seems like something very simple but I never thought of them and I was wondering if it slipped all of our minds.

Another interesting vid I watched on ST TV was the episode with Pete Rubish. He showed and talked about how he does pause deadlifts. He pauses just after breaking the floor and then explodes upwards. So many pause at the knee and Pete feels it's more effective pausing just after the break from the floor.

Just trying to spark some new talks in our PLing world... So... talk

At the knee, before the knee. Not sure that matters just so long as it isn't above the knee. The whole point in how I use it is to get the starting position nailed down. It's said you finish as you start in the dl. Corrections are difficult if not impossible. That starting position is the most important part of the dl.

I tend to use paused dl to the knee. No lockout. It was a tool Sheiko has used for decades. I find its effective.

What percentages would you be using for pause dl?

Ditto, did they mention?

I don't like doing assistance lIke this by %. I typically ask for a high degree of effort for 3 to 5 reps. You need repetition to drill the position and movement. But at the same time you want it strenuous enough to make a difference.

Typically I ask for @9 for 3 to 5 reps with fatigue drops for added rep work

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Interesting that people say you start and finish the DL the same. That's similar to how you describe the classical Oly lifts. We say if you start wrong you'll finish wrong and that literally means you'll fail the lift. I do think you can correct a lift in the PL's. If you get thrown out of position it's not easy to correct but I do think it's possible.

As for %'s, I completely agree with PoB. Go by feel and not by %'s. RPE's (rate of perceived exertion). I don't even think I would perform paused deadlift for anything over sets of 5 for fear or unraveling before the last rep. I would stick to 5's or less. I think these tempo lifts could really help some. Mark talks about how he feels he gets more from them then he has in the past with paused lifts. So, now this begs the question??? Are any of you performing tempo lifts in the bench?

I find these tempo lifts interesting b/c I've always been taught if you want to lift heavy weights you need to lift the weights as fast as you possibly can.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Interesting that people say you start and finish the DL the same. That's similar to how you describe the classical Oly lifts. We say if you start wrong you'll finish wrong and that literally means you'll fail the lift. I do think you can correct a lift in the PL's. If you get thrown out of position it's not easy to correct but I do think it's possible.

As for %'s, I completely agree with PoB. Go by feel and not by %'s. RPE's (rate of perceived exertion). I don't even think I would perform paused deadlift for anything over sets of 5 for fear or unraveling before the last rep. I would stick to 5's or less. I think these tempo lifts could really help some. Mark talks about how he feels he gets more from them then he has in the past with paused lifts. So, now this begs the question??? Are any of you performing tempo lifts in the bench?

I find these tempo lifts interesting b/c I've always been taught if you want to lift heavy weights you need to lift the weights as fast as you possibly can.

The speed component really is meant for equipped guys. Yes it can help, but maintaining position and bah path in raw is more importanter.

Tempo is also great for muscle building

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just to talk a bit about RPE's that PoB put me and so many others and why I use it for my assisting lifts.... I think it's superior to using %'s b/c sometimes you feel like a fvcking monster and so you can and should push. There are others times where you're beat the hell up from squatting heavy, pulling heavy, benching heavy, or even some combination. Those days you'll find it better to dial it back and work the technique while lifting weights that are more manageable and they may not fit into those %'s you calculated with your excel spreadsheet.

Now, don't get me wrong... I still like my gun to the head %'s I make myself get for my main lifts but for my assisting I feel RPE's are superior. They allow you to take fatigue into account which is crucial so you adjust it and not either hurt yourself or say fvck it and skip it b/c the number is just out of your grasp that day.

Reactions: 5.0
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The speed component really is meant for equipped guys. Yes it can help, but maintaining position and bah path in raw is more importanter.

Tempo is also great for muscle building

I think the speed thing is also something the old schoolers teach. The 2 who mentioned it to me are both World Champions; 1 raw and 1 equipped.

I think I'll give the temp lifts a shot....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic