Latest Member
pbtom

Would you be upset?

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Wesley:

Kudos to you for being successful and having developed some training methods. But the nature of the sport is that everyone copies everyone else. The old saying "a rising tide lifts everyone's boat" applies to bodybuilding and power lifting and all the strength sports because when someone develops a technique that works others start to copy it and call it their own. This is a fact of life in the sport, and frankly I think it causes more good than harm.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
The only ways you could prevent someone from stealing your ideas is 1. to keep your idea secret and swear your clients to secrecy (not practical in the long run); or 2. to copyright the concept (I'm not sure you can copyright a body movement or exercise movement). The first is difficult to enforce, although if you do not post a video of the movement you developed it will be harder for someone to copy it. The second just does not seem realistic or cost effective.

Ultimately, the question of what do you gain by protecting the idea determines how much effort you put into protecting the movement. If you are a local or regional trainer, probably not a lot. If you are a national level trainer and your clients stand to earn a lot of money due to the edge you give them, you could potentially gain a lot from protecting your techniques. Good luck bud!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I think this is just plain ridiculous. This is a shrug... plain and simple. People have been doing them long before you decided to pick up a plate and perform them in this manner. I'm even sure someone came up with this very idea (of holding the plates without a bar and shrugging) before you. I've seen people shrug with just a plate back in my old YMCA days... that's going back 25years.

You tweaked a way to perform a lift thinking no one else on this entire planet could have ever done it before you, lol. ok... a lift that's been performed since before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eyes.

If you had created some implement/tool to aid in lifting and someone copied it like the slingshot or the thompson fatbell then I'd say you have a reason to bitch and take action but instead you're whining about a lift you think you invented.

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
I think this is just plain ridiculous. This is a shrug... plain and simple. People have been doing them long before you decided to pick up a plate and perform them in this manner. I'm even sure someone came up with this very idea (of holding the plates without a bar and shrugging) before you. I've seen people shrug with just a plate back in my old YMCA days... that's going back 25years.

You tweaked a way to perform a lift thinking no one else on this entire planet could have ever done it before you, lol. ok... a lift that's been performed since before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eyes.

If you had created some implement/tool to aid in lifting and someone copied it like the slingshot or the thompson fatbell then I'd say you have a reason to bitch and take action but instead you're whining about a lift you think you invented.

Thos thread can be closed after this post, nail on the head!

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Has anyone copied the KBD method for applying olive oil all over the pec region?

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
human movement can never be claimed as ones own..still a cool shrug

mjbanks

mjbanks

Nov 4, 2015
good form counts; telephone vs dictaphone; it's a capitalist market-ish thing, your results with your brand/school of lifting will win, in the end;

Also, looks like weighted standing cable row, cable shrug; you should have a 30-days to fitness with routines pdf/pamphlet deal, youtube channel with commercials like, 'this is my ripped ass client' because awesomeness. Then you show your moves, or something. #marketing

* just started lifting crew *

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
Hey Wes I would not be mad. I would
Be honored. Take
It for what it is. If your clients or anyone asks you have the videos years before.

Brandon Lilly is a stud from what I have seen. I've come across some of his videos and Twitter stuff and he seem like a legit guy to
Me.

Take
Care buddy. I wouldn't worry much and just keep doing what you do.

Pawghunter

Pawghunter

MuscleHead
Jul 1, 2014
I should have a whole jelqing routine named after me. Personally I feel that I invented jelqing. You see when I was younger I wanted to flog my dolphin but was unaware of proper technique. So what I started doing instead of making me cum made my schlong grow to titanic proportions. I like to call them ..... Pawg pulls.

Wes, if you feel he saw your video and intentionally re branded your movement, then I would be mad. But is it possible that he could have come up with his shrugging movement independently of you?

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Unfortunately, I think you're pissing up a rope, Wes. I can imagine your frustration. After all, your teammate, Derek, got credit for inventing Poundstones, which are nothing more than 100-rep bar-only curls, and most of us log explosive high-rep dumbell rows as "Krocs", after the famous powerlifting champ. The only difference between them, Brandon Lily, and you is they are household names. Unfortunately, only those in your sport recognize the better lightweight class strongmen. I didn't even know there are weight divisions until I met you.

For those of you who are criticizing Wes, I can assure you, whether or not you've heard of him or think he's full of it, he is one incredibly strong mo fo and a great strength coach. I have personally watched him total over 1800 on the powerlifts in the gym (raw, no wraps) while weighing under 200 lbs. According to the current Powerlifting Watch rankings, that would put him in the top 5 of the 198s. Can't get much more elite than that. His biggest mistake, in my opinion, is shooting his wad in a sport that only gives press to the big guys, instead of reaching his potential, possibly becoming one the best of the best in powerlifting. If he had reached that pinnacle, no one would argue with his right to call those shrugs Inmans.

Let it go, Wes...or come back to powerlifting and earn the right to contest BL's claim and add Inmans to Krocs, JMs, Spotos, and Uncle Als (my rounded upper and lower back deadlifts, which made me famous when I strained my back for a world-record twenty-seventh time last month).

Last edited:
DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic