Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Would you be upset?

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
So, check this out. Most of you know that over 10 years ago I created a trap routine, on the forums is now known as "Wesley Inman Shrugs".

Today on Brandon Lilly's Facebook page, i saw a post of his. He created a video, essentially stealing my method and attempting to rename it "Lilly Shrugs". Aka Steal it.

Mind you, he is 100% Powerlifter. Everyone knows that I created this method after years of personal training and Bodybuilding comps. I have used this with 100's of clients. The majoirty of forums know this is mine. It is a bodybuilding method, does nothing for a Powerlifter. I do compete in both.

I can't help but be annoyed by this. A close friend of mine told me he has also been accused of stealing "his" method called "The Cube Method" which is a very popular PL routine besides Westside.
Half of me takes it as a compliment..but most of me is offended. I messaged him requesting a response. I am sure an article will appear in a major mag how brilliant he is and promote it under his name.
What would you do?? Would you care?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM1onefXf3g
<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM1onefXf3g" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM1onefXf3g">

Last edited by a moderator:
macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Are you joking? Please....it is not as if you "invented" anything. EVERY routine, lift is just something repackaged. I could see if there was some scientific protocol of exact %of 1rm and rep ranges along with rest that you compiled after years of scientific study on optimizing a training response. But some "bro" routine you think you packaged and "invented". Please.... I hope you are not serious.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
As noted above an exercise is an exercise. No one here invented Pull ups or Deadlifts. Greg Glassman of course is one that likes to say he invented everything in crossfit but all he did was create something that made orthopedics more money IMO. He repackaged something that has been around for a long long long long time. That sort of pisses me off that he makes it sound like HE Invented it.

Now in your situation YES I think I would be pretty upset if someone took the exact same routine step by step and renamed it, sold it as their own but not much can be done truly. If he is using some of your ideas or heck ALL of them but changed it up and resold it... well he beat you to the punch if he makes money on it.

It sucks to put a lot of thought and hard work into something and see someone else profit or get the glory but you should look it is as a pat on the back that you have been doing this for 10 years and it was good enough to copy.

my 2 cents.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I have my own personal training program as well, but you better believe I wouldn't post it on youtube and only my clients get the full version of it. After all, THEY paid for it, where as people viewing youtube have not. Why would you just give away your trade secrets for potentially hundreds of thousands to see, then get upset when someone "stole" the idea?

E

ErickFromOmaha

Aug 30, 2015
Just offer lily to a lift off and settle it once and for all who gets to claim "your shrugs"

D

dwalk

Jun 22, 2013
perfect... lift off with dumbell shrugs ... going up 10 starting at 90#'s

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Does he even know you labeled it? You're assuming he knows about you.

I never knew I did an Inman shrug before btw, just took plates off a bar and have done those before.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Are you joking? Please....it is not as if you "invented" anything. EVERY routine, lift is just something repackaged. I could see if there was some scientific protocol of exact %of 1rm and rep ranges along with rest that you compiled after years of scientific study on optimizing a training response. But some "bro" routine you think you packaged and "invented". Please.... I hope you are not serious.

You are clearly exceptionally mistaken.

Actually this is my personal "programming' It was derived from years and years of training clients. Maybe you are unaware that I also work as an Expert Trainer/Strength trainer. I also train teams, including some H.S and some College Athletes, but that portion is limited. I also currently do supplementation for in excess of 30+ pro athletes. I am paid to do just this.

I have had this on various strength boards for a decade. A basic google search or even my most recent video is even a few years old. It was a gift to the Community to assist people with trap development. Took me years to perfect this exact motion, rep ranges, time under tension and frequency of the exercise. This was not just some random movement.

I also use my training partners regimen with some of my clients. A WSM competitor named Derek Poundstone. I have permission and spefically credit him with this method anytime I use it.

This would be no different then me taking a portion of "the cube" method, or "poundstones" or "DC training"....copy and pasting it identical, naming it after myself and then claiming it to be mine.

The Athlete he stole the Cube Method from is a guy named Brian Carroll. He has a site called 10/20 life now.

I can't respect any athlete that copy and pastes material, then tries to take credit for it's development, nor can I respect anyone who simply think an Athlete created something or a variation, because he is a successful athlete. Do some research.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic