Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Been a while. Getting skinny again and posing a little....

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Hey all. I've been around but have not posted up any progress shots in a while. (probably over a year). I used to post up training vids every once in a while. Last year, I made a big shift in my training. I stopped pursuing strength goals and just wanted to enjoy myself without always feeling beat up. As I enter my mid 40's the heavy weight was just wearing on me. I am not what many would think of at a traditional "powerlifter", but strength goals always were what excited me. I am not a huge guy (5'9 and always stay in the 200lb range) My best lifts (raw) at 198 were a 420(comp) paused bench, 635 deadlift and 550 squat.. I did not really compete much, just local bragging rights events with good friends. Never got around to doing a full power meet in a real federation comp. (just never got around to it.) With young kids, my weekends are usually focused elsewhere....

So last year, I decided to totally change my training. I still lift "heavy" things, but I dont really push for heavier and heavier weight. I took almost a year off squatting and just put on 495 every once in a while to make sure I am not weak. I work a lot of leg press and accessory work. I rarely bench over 315 anymore (my shoulders thank me)...and most workouts I stay at 225 and use reverse grip. Hell....I have not even deadlifted in almost a year! I dont think I would have built my base this way, but I have been able to maintain easily on this type program. Even strength.

What I have really focused on is controlling my intake and staying in a fairly lean condition year round. It was a nice way to spend the year. I took a shot from August to Dec to see if I could gain any size. I ate up 25lbs over that time, but sadly as I strip weight (I am back around 200) I dont think I really gained anything. I think I am about tapped out mass wise. I think I would have to lose the "training wheels" and take things to another level which at this stage of my life, is not for me. Ive been on trt for almost 3 years now and that has allowed me to dabble a little. Prior to that I was lifetime natural. My 'dabbles' are pretty conservative stuff. That 'dabbling' has netted me about 7-10lbs over the past 3 years which I dont think I could have gotten naturally.

Anyway, I shot this in the gym tonight and finally feel like I am getting where I want to be. Not contest shape by any means...but I am able to maintain this condition year round. I am going for even leaner this year and will be dieting the next few months. I know most guys on here dont consider 200lbs all that big. But I have learned weight is an illusion. If I were back at my old bodyfat I carried 5 or 6 years ago when I was out of the gym, I think I would be 235-240.

I am not really a bodybuilder, so dont bust my balls too bad on my shitty posing. Not sure if I ever would compete.....maybe, but I dont see myself as a bodybuilder. (but I have great respect for those that really walk the walk). I am just happy to be healthy and decently strong and approaching good shape for a dude in his 40's.

Many thanks to several guys on here who have given me great advice along the way!

Last edited by a moderator:
jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
Looking big and lean dude!! Hell yea

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
selfish plug of an Adidas bag, looks like Raidens bowling bag

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Awesome physique brother!! I would kill for your calves lol Well, I woulnd't mind have your quads and hammies either. xD

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
A true bro .. good man .. in the mid 40's club and doing it how we do it.

I didn't see the skinny . where was it ?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Looking big and lean dude!! Hell yea

Thanks man! You have a great physique yourself!!!

selfish plug of an Adidas bag, looks like Raidens bowling bag

Ha! I carry all kinds of crap with me at the gym. In the winter, I start out pretty well bundled to keep warm and strip down as I get warmed up. Still some chalk and nose tork floating in there somewhere (not that I have been needing them lately. Oh yea....two pairs of cordless headphones. (in case I forget to charge one, I always have a backup!) My gym plays the worst crap!!!

Pretty damn impressive !

Great job !!

Nice work mac

Thanks guys

Awesome physique brother!! I would kill for your calves lol Well, I woulnd't mind have your quads and hammies either. xD

Ha....My never thought I would ever hear that! My calves are the worst bodypart BY FAR, but I have managed to bring them up over the past 2-3 years. They were a pathetic 14". Now they are still skinny but just over 16. Terribly high attachment points as well. As I said, I dont think I am built to be a bodybuilder...but in the end, we can be a better us. I am hamstring dominant and have hips to match. (31" waist, 40" hips...lots of deadlifting over the years). Quads are OK...but could be better. Thanks and appreciate it!

A true bro .. good man .. in the mid 40's club and doing it how we do it.

I didn't see the skinny . where was it ?

"skinny" is my joke. I see lots of guys hate on smaller guys saying "200 lbs is small". I feel that way too in my head as I drop weight. At times I feel downright scrawny (compared to being at 230 which I have let my bf rise to about 1.5 years ago) I feel a lot better down at 200 range....I just had to drop the notion that strength was my main goal. I'm still torn between the two and not sure if I will ever figure it out 100%.

damn right mac. looking sharp.

Thanks man!! Just taking things a day at a time, and trying to live as 'normal' a life as possible. I would say I am the least fanatical I have been about working out in 5 years. Realizing at this point, nothing is going to happen overnight. Trying to take a more long term approach.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
You look great brother. You could easily compete if you decided to go that route. You absolutely do not look small, weak, or skinny. But I know what you are talking about psychologically because I have the same problem.

ironhardempress

ironhardempress

TID Lady Member
Jan 15, 2016
you look good, man. COmpete if you want to!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Brother your story is great and inspiring. You have achieved greatness!!!

You posing is excellent and you have built an incredible physique!!!

Thank you for posting such an incredible story and video. You show us all anything we set our mind to is possible!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic