Members
Latest Member
pbtom

pause squats

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Did these for assistance tonight... ugh. Dude awful shit.. I normally squat very wide in a flat shoe. Paused squats like that are easy... I put my ristos and narrowed to shoulder width and did 5 sec pauses. Pathetic. Did 365 for doubles. I think my left eye was close to popping out of my face.
glad you posted this... I was wondering how many reps you guys were doing... I was shooting for 3-5 sec pause and 5 reps... was all good till I got to 345... my eyes felt the same way... but i did all 5 ;)

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
First session of wide stance squats in the books. Been years. Did them as my accessory lift after deadlifts tonight. Im definately weak in the posterior chain from doing oly style squats for so long. It will develop quick though. Did some of the hip movement stuff prior to pulling too. Not sure if it helped but, it didnt hurt. I will keep it as part of the warm up for now.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
but how many reps... I want to make sure I am doing it right

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

I would make the reps between 3 -5 reps and the pause the same. The count shouldn't be fast. It should be a slow count 1one thousand, 2two thousand, 3three thousand.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I would make the reps between 3 -5 reps and the pause the same. The count shouldn't be fast. It should be a slow count 1one thousand, 2two thousand, 3three thousand.

And works even better if you have a training partner count for you.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks BI. That's about what I figured. Medium weight as well?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Doubles or triples. Even for hypertrophy.

What I mean is say you can do a set of 5 with 350 and you are toast. What if instead you did 5 doubles. That's now twice as many reps. Plus you will likely be able to use 360 to 380 instead of 350. All because you left a little gas in the tank each time.

I use to have a lot of trouble growing my legs. I would pyramid up to a top set and hit failure. Once I changed to training not to failure on a top set but repeating my sets with lower reps my legs blew up. Consequently so did my 1rm squat. Which allowed me to keep using more and more weight and adding more and more size.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Doubles or triples. Even for hypertrophy. What I mean is say you can do a set of 5 with 350 and you are toast. What if instead you did 5 doubles. That's now twice as many reps. Plus you will likely be able to use 360 to 380 instead of 350. All because you left a little gas in the tank each time. I use to have a lot of trouble growing my legs. I would pyramid up to a top set and hit failure. Once I changed to training not to failure on a top set but repeating my sets with lower reps my legs blew up. Consequently so did my 1rm squat. Which allowed me to keep using more and more weight and adding more and more size.
makes sense.. thanks for the clarity!

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Apparently I'm not going heavy enough on these.

As known, love.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic