Members
Latest Member
pbtom

RPE System of Training

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I use % as a guideline but have always gone off of feel when it comes to weight and reps.
Sometimes I'm under the guideline and sometimes I'm over.

But you do crossfit, that doesn't count.

Jk :D

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
One person told me that he was skeptical because to his mind, it seems like it's a "go in the gym and lift by feel" philosophy. I tried refuting this, but I my articulateness was at an RPE of 2 that day.

Here is how to refute this.

Donnie Thompson. Like most things new in powerlifting he did it already 20 years ago.

He would lift by feel. A heavy triple is a heavy triple. He didn't pay attention to what was on the bar or log it or how many chains or which bands. He just lifted heavy all the time.

Now he will admit there were many who tried to train with him and just couldn't hack it.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
RPE is great if you can be honest with yourself about your training.

If someone wants to slack, they'll get nothing out of RPE. On the flip side, if you continually try to push it to hard, you will over do it. I do know some people who just need to be told how much they are lifting, when they are lifting it, and how many reps they have to do...

That said, I'm a fan.

This is true. I have seen a coach criticize his client for constantly over shooting his rpe. I would turn that back on the coach and say fix it then

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I never go easy. deloads are harder than max rep.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
One person told me that he was skeptical because to his mind, it seems like it's a "go in the gym and lift by feel" philosophy. I tried refuting this, but I my articulateness was at an RPE of 2 that day.
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! That made me spit laugh just now.

I, too, was stumbling all over myself with this shit today. Imagine five lifters listening to me explain RPE while people are walking in and saying hi, giving hugs, one chick brought cookies to us, Wifey shows up and says hey to everyone, then my other homie's wife shows up and says hey... bananas.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
RPE can be somewhat of a bit to wrap your head around, but the right person can teach you. As long as you get stronger, that's all I care about.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
RPE is great if you can be honest with yourself about your training.

If someone wants to slack, they'll get nothing out of RPE. On the flip side, if you continually try to push it to hard, you will over do it. I do know some people who just need to be told how much they are lifting, when they are lifting it, and how many reps they have to do...

That said, I'm a fan.

I like being told "lift this 3 times" and then I do it. Much easier that way...even if I'm training solo these days.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
"Using RPE allows you to train at high intensity, with volume but to manage your fatigue level using your own intuition. RPE stands for Rate of Perceived Exertion."

THIS right here sums it up for me how to explain it to someone. It's not just about the rep scheme OR the intensity. It uses both and some of your own input. It puts ownership into a program, but also makes you accountable.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
"Using RPE allows you to train at high intensity, with volume but to manage your fatigue level using your own intuition. RPE stands for Rate of Perceived Exertion."

THIS right here sums it up for me how to explain it to someone. It's not just about the rep scheme OR the intensity. It uses both and some of your own input. It puts ownership into a program, but also makes you accountable.

The piece you mentioned aBout accountability one I like the most. If a client has to hit 90% for a double and misses they come back to me with that and I am left wondering wtf happened. When in reality maybe they didn't prepare. Or maybe they just didn't have it that day.

I can't predict the future exactly with volume calculations.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic