Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

what are you DLing these days

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I just pulled 365 x16 yesterday in my Workout.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm not even sure right now... Been focusing on moving my squat which has been on the back burner for 2 years. Some history of my deadlift:

Sumo:
645 x 1

Can't seem to hold anything over 615 these days though.

Conventional:
No clue - haven't pulled this way in probably 2 years. Just tried the other night and pulled 495 x 4 but missed 545. This was after squatting 585 for a triple though.

I'm probably going to try and pull conventional for a while. At least until I get it over 600. Then go back to sumo.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I'm not even sure right now... Been focusing on moving my squat which has been on the back burner for 2 years. Some history of my deadlift:

Sumo:
645 x 1

Can't seem to hold anything over 615 these days though.

Conventional:
No clue - haven't pulled this way in probably 2 years. Just tried the other night and pulled 495 x 4 but missed 545. This was after squatting 585 for a triple though.

I'm probably going to try and pull conventional for a while. At least until I get it over 600. Then go back to sumo.

I want to learn sumo and how its different from conventional. I know you stand different but how are the dynamics and benefits different?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I want to learn sumo and how its different from conventional. I know you stand different but how are the dynamics and benefits different?
There are a lot of differences. Most will say it's more technical to execute than conventional but that's just a sumo puller refusing to come out of the closet and be proud of their deadlift orientation.

Some differences:

You don't hip hinge to get to the bar. You drop the hips down to it.

You won't tear a bicep using mixed grip

It is harder to break the floor compared to conventional but once you do lockout is pretty much in the bag.

Some pressure on the low back is relieved

The biggest difference though - not everyone can do it. Some just simply don't have the leverages or hip mobility for it.

We can try this next week but I can already say you are built to pull conventional.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
There are a lot of differences. Most will say it's more technical to execute than conventional but that's just a sumo puller refusing to come out of the closet and be proud of their deadlift orientation.

Some differences:

You don't hip hinge to get to the bar. You drop the hips down to it.

You won't tear a bicep using mixed grip

It is harder to break the floor compared to conventional but once you do lockout is pretty much in the bag.

Some pressure on the low back is relieved

The biggest difference though - not everyone can do it. Some just simply don't have the leverages or hip mobility for it.

We can try this next week but I can already say you are built to pull conventional.

Lets try it. The sumo looks so cool!!!

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
The heaviest I ever pulled off the floor was 470 sumo style for a single, over/under grip, no straps, just a belt and chalk. That was some 14 years or so ago, just before I decided to concentrate on rack pulls.

I got away from sumo style after doing it for a good decade or so because I felt like I was mostly working hips, thighs, grip, and traps. And I have very rarely done conventional stance deads off the floor in the last 15+ years, because they just don't feel right - it seems as though they put my lower back in a position making it too susceptible to possible injury.

I will occasionally do regular deads off the floor maybe 1-2 times a year with moderate weights for a few sets of 4-5 reps, but it's very unusual - this is usually done on one of the rare occasions I find myself training in an unfamiliar gym that doesn't have a power rack available.

I've been doing rack pulls in the power rack with the pins several inches below the knees pretty consistently a couple of times a month for the last 14 years or so. I've gone as heavy as 595 for a single with an over/under grip, regular stance, and just a belt and chalk.

The rack pulls seem to really hit the overall back hard without my huge thighs and butt doing too much work. And the ROM is just a couple of inches shorter than doing them with the conventional stance off the floor. Those couple of inches I take out of the movement seem to keep my lower back from rounding too much and getting me in trouble.

I do these every other back workout, which usually means I do them no more than twice a month. I keep the reps to 5 or fewer on all sets.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Here's a question for Rottenrogue and PillarofBalance:

If you can lift a trap bar up with 500+ lbs on it, does that mean you can pull that much weight with a regular barbell?

Or is the trap bar make it easier?

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Congratulations!!!

That's huge!!!

You all had the greatest weekend!!!

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
Best I have pulled is 500lbs Conv.

Nice Flex, Congrats....

I started to pull Sumo last year after a hamstring injury. I was able to pull the same weight as Conv. Right now I don't have the flexibility to pull sumo again...but I will soon.

Been trying to learn the hook grip, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic