Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

"I hate chicken and brown rice..."

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Nothing special....I just eat food. Even eat chick-fil-a one night a week with the kids. (usually skip fries but steal 3 or 4 of the kids ones ;) )
I have even given up tracking macros and done this all by 'feel'. I roughly track my protein totals though. But after spending more than 24 months planning/tracking in deficits and surpluses and deficits, I know roughly what potion sizes are. Planning and tracking is still more effective, but I want to live a more 'laid back' life and truth be told, it becomes diminishing returns at some point. I dont see myself gettng much bigger as I dont want to do what it would take to do that approaching my mid-40's. (just my personal feeling)....so I am enjoying life more....and finding the balance between strength and looking how I want to.

5'9 right at 200lbs right now.

Come on man....that was rough ;) Yea...5'9 is not tall but I am not giving up any of it! ;)

I don't trust myself to go more than a few weeks without counting, so I count up my cals/macros about every 2-3 weeks to stay the course. I am able to also go without counting most of the time, but that's a result of tracking every day for a year and a half straight, with almost no days missed at all. I am sure you are the same.

Yes, I eat Chic-Fil-A as well, but like you, skip the fries. They just aren't "worth it". That's the idea behind the diet though, what is a food "worth" to you? I can eat those nuggets, but are they worth it? Yep! As long as I skip the fries and condiments I can easily fit them in to my day and be happy.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Yeah, because being tall is everything it's cracked up to be; bad knees, bad back, generally struggle to bench big numbers, much, much longer training to look big... lol

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, because being tall is everything it's cracked up to be; bad knees, bad back, generally struggle to bench big numbers, much, much longer training to look big... lol

I'm just bitter, I got screwed. My brother and sister both well over 6ft

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I don't trust myself to go more than a few weeks without counting, so I count up my cals/macros about every 2-3 weeks to stay the course. I am able to also go without counting most of the time, but that's a result of tracking every day for a year and a half straight, with almost no days missed at all. I am sure you are the same. ..

To tell you the truth....I had the same fear... But it has been almost 2 years since I have planned and tracked macros. I started out small and just shot to maintain...and monitored. Then did mini surplus and deficit cycles. I finally figured out I am not going to hell in a hand basket without my food scale. I finished off the year with a 4 month surplus to 230 and started this year with my first ever planned long-term deficit. Done it all without tracking and planning.

I do know that planning would be more efficient, but these days I am in no hurry and feel much more "free" and not nearly as ADD about life and eating. I am still going to continue cutting some more.....just for the hell of it. I am learning balance in life, and for me the need to specifically plan and track is not that important to my goals. For a few years though....it was central and the progress I made was worth it as was learning how to eat as a lifestyle...and not a "diet".

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
thanks Mac... you too shorts... I keep my meals in line for the first part of the day... evening is where I slack... but I find I too use the "Worth it" method... maybe you guys have just started a new Million dollar idea... the "Worth it" diet! the key is portion control and exercise... and 5'9" isnt short mac... you must have high light switches... lol

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Imagine how good Macgyver would look if he cleaned up his diet!

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
thanks Mac... you too shorts... I keep my meals in line for the first part of the day... evening is where I slack... but I find I too use the "Worth it" method... maybe you guys have just started a new Million dollar idea... the "Worth it" diet! the key is portion control and exercise... and 5'9" isnt short mac... you must have high light switches... lol

Try pushing more of your calories towards the end of the day. This is how I manage my evenings without getting out of control. Before bed I end up with a small meal with a big ass bowl of berries and Greek yogurt, then fill in whatever I am missing from the day. Some night I go to bed stuffed and am still in a deficit for the day.

Shots fired! Lol

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011

:D :D :D

Well.....I am not done cutting yet!!!

Not sure how far I am going to take it, but I guess I will know when I get there. Also, I am not really a "bodybuilder". My training is much more like a "powerlifter". Lower volume and heavy weight. I move decent weights for a skinny little guy with a 1600+ total at 198. Also not bad for a guy in his 40's. My goals therefore are always split between strength and aesthetics. This is the furthest I have taken a cut though and plan on getting in real good shape for summer. I am not sure what direction I am going to take things after that, but have enjoyed staying leaner and leaner year round.

I had to cut slowly though as I am doing it without the aid of "supps" ;). I think I will save that for when it is time to try to grow a little more....but not sure that is in the cards for me either without taking supps to levels I am not really wanting to go at this stage in my life... I am interested to see how I look fully leaned out and may just hang here as I can do it without relying on anything other than heavy training and eating right.

Here are a few pics to give you an idea of size. Most people dont think I am under 200 though.....Not huge by any means, but shape is coming together.

Capture_zps0wkmvkna.jpg

Capture2_zpsvbzcriqw.jpg

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
How much leaner do you want to get if your not bb'ing? I am insanely jealous that you guys are able to do this. I eat chic a fil on the regular too but it ain't working for me. The most successful diet I ever did (4%) was chicken and brown rice. Oh and the fries aren't worth it for sure, their fries just aren't that great but I could eat spicy chicken twice a day.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
How much leaner do you want to get if your not bb'ing? I am insanely jealous that you guys are able to do this. I eat chic a fil on the regular too but it ain't working for me. The most successful diet I ever did (4%) was chicken and brown rice. Oh and the fries aren't worth it for sure, their fries just aren't that great but I could eat spicy chicken twice a day.

When you eat chicken and brown rice, it's hard to fill up on that stuff. It takes such a large volume of food to over eat. You have to grasp the portion sizes you must eat when you start implementing flexible diets. It can be dramatic for some foods. One you get an idea how calorie dense these new foods are, you can start figuring out the "Is it worth it" foods for yourself. Make no mistake, in order for us to get the macros we need, there is still a certain amount of healthier foods on the list we eat. I will also admit, the closer to competition day you get, the more and more it's easier to manage healthier foods, however, when I was prepped, i was still eating things like lean beef chili, low fat Hebrew Nation hot dogs with 2% shredded cheese etc. Had to drop that because of the sodium in the last 2 weeks too

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic