Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Cardio or Lifting First?

S

Sherriperoni

TID Lady Member
Mar 25, 2015
I'm currently skinny fat at 127 lbs and 27% body fat. I only do HIIT 2x per week and just started lifting 3x per week (a beginner routine, compound exercises, focusing on progressive overload). I do go on the elliptical for 10 mins before I lift as I was told this would be beneficial but someone recently told me to do the elliptical after lifting. True? What do you do?

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
well if you are only using it for a warm up, 10-15 min is fine before lifting...

I personally do cardio after lifting if I'm going to do it BUT...I do cardio on my non-lifting days to get the most out of it :)

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Cardio after. Use your carbs as fuel for your training and then be depleted for your cardio.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Cardio after. Use your carbs as fuel for your training and then be depleted for your cardio.

Also 10 min worth of elliptical is more of a warm-up than an actual fat burning session because it's just not long enough. Consider it a pre-workout warmup and do actual cardio sessions after training on training days.

Goliac7

Goliac7

MuscleHead
Feb 20, 2015
I don't think an elliptical for a few minutes will affect your workout. I prefer cardio first, because I am DRAINED after my lifts. I guess it's a personal preference. It's all better than couch-sitting.

Bro Bundy

Bro Bundy

MuscleHead
Nov 1, 2012
i train weights first then cardio last..

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
well if you are only using it for a warm up, 10-15 min is fine before lifting...

I personally do cardio after lifting if I'm going to do it BUT...I do cardio on my non-lifting days to get the most out of it :)

I prefer doing the same as well. I Just like to get the most out of both and I feel like I cheat myself if I try to do cardio after weights. SOmetimes I will just walk out without doing it at all. xD

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
Always weights first and cardio last, especially HIIT cardio. 10 minutes of fast walking are enough for warming up.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I prefer doing the same as well. I Just like to get the most out of both and I feel like I cheat myself if I try to do cardio after weights. SOmetimes I will just walk out without doing it at all. xD

Yep, I do boot camp 3 days during the week and trust me, that's some damn cardio....LOL

Save my lifting for the weekend....works out great :)

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
Bro , I just saw a YouTube video by Dorian Yates where he saids that cardio after lifting kills ur muscle gains .
Personally I wouldn't know because the closest I come to doin cardio is goin frm excersise to excersise without the least amount of rest as possible .
And can I say, if ur 127 lbs , " y are u doin cardio " ??? Okay warm up u say ? There's a better way to warm up besides doin cardio and losing calories . U need to gain weight, not lose it !!!
I'm normally a skinny dude myself , and I eat and eat to keep my weight up . Don't be afraid to eat bro .
My .02 ! N

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
Bro , I just saw a YouTube video by Dorian Yates where he saids that cardio after lifting kills ur muscle gains .
Personally I wouldn't know because the closest I come to doin cardio is goin frm excersise to excersise without the least amount of rest as possible .
And can I say, if ur 127 lbs , " y are u doin cardio " ??? Okay warm up u say ? There's a better way to warm up besides doin cardio and losing calories . U need to gain weight, not lose it !!!
I'm normally a skinny dude myself , and I eat and eat to keep my weight up . Don't be afraid to eat bro .
My .02 ! N

lol, I see you missed this is a female member.........................................

G

GearedUp28

Jan 8, 2015
I always do my cardio after my workouts. You want to save you energy for your weight training, so that you can push yourself as hard as possible in your workout. Then after your workout do your cardio. It is one if the prime times to do it. After your workout you will have used up most if not all of your glycogen, so that when you get on the cardio after the workout, you will go right into a fat burning mode, or very shortly after you will be into a fat burning state. I know when I am doing cardio, I want to be burning fat, not just burning the calories from the foods I just ate. You want to have as much energy for your workout as possible, and doing cardio first, for most people zaps alot of that energy you could be using to get a great muscle building workout. Another prime time to do cardio... Actually the best time to do it, is first thing in the morning, right after you get up, before eating anything. You will be on a fast from not eating for the time you were sleeping, so again, you will go into a fat burning state right away. This is a general rule for people trying to lean out/stripping body fat. For those of us trying to hold on to as much muscle while getting ripped up, you can take some BCAA's before the cardio along with your fat burner, if you are taking one. The BCAA's (Branched Chain Amino Acids) will give fuel to your muscles to help spare any muscle wasting during this cardio. Good luck, and I hope this helps you.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic