Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

ChrisLindsay9's Journal - "Lightweight Strong"

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
This will be my permanent training journal. I have started a few others when I had specific end goals, but I’ve decided that my only true goal is to just get stronger. I’ll still be competing, but I’m prioritizing getting stronger over trying to be competitive, which means if I end up competing at 132 or 148 so be it. I will get strong and then compete at whatever my bodyweight is at that time.

I’ll be posting updates weekly, and try to include pics/vids when it’s convenient.

I’m taking the next few months to work on building size and strength, as well as work on my weaknesses. I’m still in the process of developing a program. I’m sort of experimenting a bit as I start out. But I want to try and squat and bench 3x week, and deadlift 2x week. I think I have (or will obtain) the recovery and adaptation to do it, as long as I don’t push it too hard.

This is the basic outline of what I got so far….

Sunday
Heavy Deadlift
Volume Squat (belt, light knee support)
Paused Bench
Accessory Work

Tuesday
Heavy Bench
Accessory Work
Squat (belt only, no knee support)

Thursday
Heavy Squat (belt, heavy knee support)
Volume Deadlift – 4 sets (likely to be 3” deficit or 6” block pulls)
Accessory Work

Friday
Volume Bench
Accessory Work

<><>

Nutrition -
I track my calories with My Fitness Pal, and throughout my training for the Arnold my weight was holding steady when I was consuming around 2300-2500 calories per day.
I’m increasing it to 2800-3000 calories. My intended target training weight will be 130-135lbs.
My macros will be 150g Protein / 300-350g Carbs / 100g Fat. I’m eating more carb dense food (my euphemism for “dirty food” haha) to help me hit my carb budget.

Supplementation –
Pre-workout: cycling Mr. Hyde, Nubreed Infusion, and C4 with the occasional boost of a 5 Hour Energy when needed.
Intra-workout: Gaspari Size-On (for the carbs) and Powerade Zero
Other: Beast Creatine, Nubreed BCAAs
Protein: Optimum Nutrition Whey, Optimum Nutrition Casein, Met-RX Brownie, MHP PowerPak Pudding

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bench Pic with caption.jpg
    Bench Pic with caption.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,903
Last edited:
ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Details about this training log are here

Friday (3/13)
Volume Bench: 130x10, 135x8, 140x8, 145x7
Various Accessories at 75-80% intensity
I was still in post-competition recovery mode, so I didn’t push it too hard.

Sunday (3/15)
Deadlift: 365x3 x4 sets (pretty easy/smooth); 410x2 (a little rough)
Squat (belt, compression sleeve): 195x10 x4 sets
Bench Press (w/ competiton pause): 145x4 x3 sets
Accessories: DB Rows, BB Rows, RDLs (testing weights/reps)

Tuesday (3/17)
Bench Press (wraps, elbow sleeves): 175x3 x4 sets
Wide Grip Bench (off 2 Board): 140x8 x3 sets
Glose Grip Bench (off 2 Board): 130x8 x3 sets
Accessories: Seated Cable Row, Weighted Dips/Weighted NG Pull-Ups (testing weights/reps)
Squat (belt only): 240x3 x2 sets; 200x5

Thursday (3/19)
Squat (belt & Elite FTS heavy sleeves): 300x3 x4 sets; 325x2
3” Deficit Deadlift (belt): 235x10 x4 sets (touch n’ go, with double overhand grip)
Accessories: GHRs, BB Glute Bridges (testing weight/reps)

Last edited:
D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
This is excellent, Chris! I will definitely enjoy reading your journal and see what you do. I bet with your increased calories you will see your strength increase more quickly than it had been.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Dude this looks great!

I can't wait to follow!

How does benching 3 times a week feel recovery wise?

We have the same goals too. Get stronger and larger.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I'm on board Chris! Ever thought of working with POB on this?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When you day getting stronger are you looking to increase your raw strength or are you going to work your gear into this?

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
How does benching 3 times a week feel recovery wise?
I'll let you know. I'm still ramping up back to the point where I'm picking up where I left off from January (before I had to peak for the competition). So far having squatted three times hasn't had any negative effects. I'm doing more pre and post-mobility, and using heat therapy to help recover.

I'm on board Chris! Ever thought of working with POB on this?
Thanks Bull! And yes I have, but I have been thinking about trying something like this since January, and I have thought about it, analyzed it, every which way ... and I feel like it's something I need to try out and see what happens, how I respond.

When you say getting stronger are you looking to increase your raw strength or are you going to work your gear into this?
Raw strength. I will be using a belt for deads and squats of course. And I'm using moderate knee support (thick sleeves) on my heavy days. I'm a big believer in the "train how you compete" philosophy, but I'm going to hold off on using wraps for a little while.

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Definitely looks forward to your review from the higher frequency.

What is your pre and post mobility routine?

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Friday (03/20)
Bench Press: 145x10 (four sets)
DB Floor Press: 45x12 (four sets) – this was really light, but I wanted to be conservative with it as I get familiar with this exercise. So far, I’m liking this accessory exercise a bit better than barbell. I like DB Presses in general, but I don't feel comfortable with my ROM off a bench. DB Floor Pressing seems like a good alternative thus far.
DB Seated OH Press: 45x8 (three sets)
Accessories: DB Front Raises, DB Side Raises, DB Tricep Extensions, DB Spoon Press, Calf Raises
Notes:
I really shortchanged my shoulder work as I was peaking for the Arnold, and can’t believe how much it regressed. I’m going to focus on maintenance level training for shoulders during this training cycle, while I get acclimated to the increased benching volume. And then I’ll start training them on the next cycle.

Sunday (03/22)
Deadlifts: 365x3, 375x3, 385x3, 405x3 (grip on 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] rep failed just as I was locking out)
Squat (belt-only, narrow stance): 170x12, 185x12, 200x12
Bench Press (competition pause): 135x5 (three sets)
Accessories: RDLs, DB Rows, KB Curls
Notes:
(1) I’ve read that increased squatting volume can be pretty hard on the hips, so I switched to a narrow squat stance on my volume day. If I notice any issues with regards to recovery, I may alternate between 3 and 2 times a week.
(2) I got the idea of switching to curls with kettlebells from Brother Iron, and after doing some additional reading, thought it would be a more beneficial accessory exercise to my powerlifting training than dumbbells at this point. KB Curls really hit the forearms, which I think is necessary right now for my deadlift progress.

Tuesday (03/24)
Bench Press (wrist wraps, elbow sleeves): 175x3, 175x3, 175x3, 190x1 (smooth)
Wide Grip Bench (off 2 Board): 145x8 (four sets)
Glose Grip Bench (off 2 Board): 135x8 (four sets)
Accessories: Seated Cable Row, Weighted Dips/Neutral-Grip Pullups
Squat (belt-only, narrow stance): 245x3 (three sets)

Thursday - I won't be online to post my Thursday workout this week, so I'll post it next week.

What is your pre and post mobility routine?
There's a bunch of videos on shoulder and leg/hip mobility exercises that I've got bookmarked on my cell phone - from Kelly Starrett and a couple of other people - that I watch. I don't know the names of the specific routines, but they involve using some bands and bodyweight/foam roller type stretching.

Other warm-up and recovery stuff I’m doing fairly regularly now …
When I start warming up, I have routines that sort of embellish the range of motion of what I'll be doing during my first few warm-up sets.
-For example, my first couple-few sets of deadlifts at 135 are stiffed leg deadlifts, and then I work up to 225 or 250 from a 3" deficit.
-On squats, my few warmup sets are banded good mornings and bodyweight (and up to 95lbs on the bar) paused squats.
-On bench, my first few sets with the bar (and up to 95lbs. or so) are 3-5 normal-grip reps, 2-3 close grip, 1-2 wide grip bench.
Not really mobility work, but I feel like it helps me.

I also have been applying a heating pad a couple of hours leading up to my workout, and then again immediately after my workout. I'm also using the heating pad on my hips, hamstrings, lower and upper back on my rest/recovery days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Placebro

Placebro

Nov 3, 2014
Fantastic work Chris! I prefer DB Floor Presses over DB Presses on a bench as well. The worst part of it for me is getting them into position!

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
ChrisLindsay9's Journal - &quot;Lightweight Strong&quot;

Nice write up and workouts, Chris!

Edit: finally got to watch the videos and the DL pulls look like you were lifting half that wait. Real solid, Chris!

Last edited:
Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This is really impressive brother!!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic