Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

Big Bench Press Can Mean Bad Shoulders

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Great point, BI, it's the old analogy of have huge quads but one keeps pulling their hamstrings due to muscular imbalance. Hence why lats and other exercises need to be implemented into ones routine because they are the platform for bench. Even biceps help stabilize your triceps.

Yeah, most don't realize that you use your lats, shoulders, triceps, biceps, upper back, chest, and even legs to perform a bench press.

Another issue many bbers have.... and unfortunately they do it to themselves is that they bench with a high bar placement. This puts A LOT of strain on the shoulder girdle. They should lower the bar position and tuck their elbows.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
BI Nailed it.... that and learning to tuck your scapulae in as you set up to press.

The big issue I see though is that conventional benches are too narrow. I'm even talking about the competition spec ones for powerlifting. The ones in commercial gyms are even worse.

Look at how many big guys get hurt pressing vs. smaller athletes. You need to be able to get some support.

That's why I'm a HUGE advocate for the Thompson Fat Pad ( I believe that Rogue sells it) or primarily doing floor pressing for heavy presses.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If I don't start benching on a forza again I'll buy a thompson fat pad and put it at my current gym.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Yeah, most don't realize that you use your lats, shoulders, triceps, biceps, upper back, chest, and even legs to perform a bench press.

Another issue many bbers have.... and unfortunately they do it to themselves is that they bench with a high bar placement. This puts A LOT of strain on the shoulder girdle. They should lower the bar position and tuck their elbows.

Great point , many issue require simple adjustment . Smart

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
If I don't start benching on a forza again I'll buy a thompson fat pad and put it at my current gym.

The best thing about it is that if you bolt it to a crappy commercial bench it ends up almost exactly at regulation height....

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011

Great points BI. Form, form , form 1st and foremost with the bench. All it took was for me to lose total focus for a split second, roll my elbow out a little bit and I blew my shoulder. Took my right shoulder over a year to heal up, going on 6 months or so on my left now. Keep them elbows tucked
That and I have a workout partner to unrack the weight, you get so used to that and when you're by yourself it really shows the stress it puts on your shoulders unracking

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Great points BI. Form, form , form 1st and foremost with the bench. All it took was for me to lose total focus for a split second, roll my elbow out a little bit and I blew my shoulder. Took my right shoulder over a year to heal up, going on 6 months or so on my left now. Keep them elbows tuckedThat and I have a workout partner to unrack the weight, you get so used to that and when you're by yourself it really shows the stress it puts on your shoulders unracking
and he did all that with 135... way to go Gman!!!!

V

Vick

MuscleHead
Jun 13, 2012
I'm 38 now and have wide shoulders and short arms so I use to love the bar, but now I avoid it and use dumbbells instead. My first experience with a rotator cuff injury was in High School on the bench press and wasn't even a 1 rep max and had just done a set of 15 reps before adding 40lbs. and my shoulder squished on the 3rd rep. I also swear by joint juice and avoid Winstrol.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
The best thing about it is that if you bolt it to a crappy commercial bench it ends up almost exactly at regulation height....

Luckily I didn't have to go anywhere else.... the owner bought a rogue westside bench.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic