Members
Latest Member
Imsprod1

New PowerLifting Magazine

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
If you go to that page I had in my OP, there is a pic of what I suppose is the current issue, and they call it Sept/Oct, what happened to August?!

Exactly. I guess nothing was happening in August.

Anyway I sent a message via their website and got a reply very quickly that the Sep/Oct issue was sent via regular mail on 9/25 so I'm not surprised I don't have it yet.

I'll update later if/when I receive it.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Exactly. I guess nothing was happening in August.

Anyway I sent a message via their website and got a reply very quickly that the Sep/Oct issue was sent via regular mail on 9/25 so I'm not surprised I don't have it yet.

I'll update later if/when I receive it.

I like your version, mine was more cynical. It could also be a way to buy time for a struggling new enterprise. If that issue had been labeled Aug/Sept, then subscribers would be questioning things in October, as you did. But if the issue is only labeled as incl Oct, then subscribers are inclined to be patient(?)

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Yep.

I knew right away paying up front for a full year was a risk but really the $46 or whatever it was is not going to make or break me.

My initial assumption to not receiving anything since subscribing was that they went tits up, but the quick reply belayed that.

I hope they make it...

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Who was the first to squat 1,000? What ply was it?

Melanichev was the first 1000 pound raw squat right?

Guess there's several "right" answers, depending on what federation, what meet, witnesses, etc. I had posted somewhere that I thought Dave Waddington, complete with bloody nose, was the first to do it in the early 1980's, if you discount the anecdotes about Paul Anderson 20 or more yrs earlier, but this was at a local meet.

I don't compete SPF - but Wilkerson's squat was legit. If you saw him in person you'd understand. He's legitimately got well over 40 inch legs. The guy is maybe 6-8 inches shorter than me and ( I weigh 330, mind you) makes me look like a baby. He's the biggest guy I've seen since Garry Frank's prime. With how big he is everything looks high from the front. A few guys I know were there and called it legit - all die hard APF guys.

Rob Wilkerson had the first raw 1000, Malanichev has the highest now with 1014 or 1008, something like that.

Lee Moran had the first G in a meet ever - old school single ply gear and by far the most insane story of any squat ever taken.
He opened at 945 and passed out, spotters miss the weight and he gets stapled.
He gets 945 on his 2nd with a bloody nose.
On his 3rd he comes out of the hole with 1003 and as he's locking out the collar breaks free and all the plates on one side dump - flinging the bar off of his back.
He gets to retake the weight because of the equipment failure and he gets it......

The guy was a badass. 5'8" at most, 330 and a Hells Angel......

Lee Moran came later, BUT his was at the USPF Nationals, so you pay your money and take your choice on those two I guess. All this plus actual footage of the amazing story porky tells about Lee is in a vid I just stumbled into on youtube. I'll try to post a link, but I have bad luck with posting youtube links sometimes. Just in case, the way I found it was to key "powerlifting documentaries" into the youtube search. This one is 1 hr and 42 min long, dammit, and has the specific title "Power Unlimited." If you have any interest at all, I guarantee you'll like most or all of it. Starts with the pre-PL roots of powerlifting, explains how and why we got so many federations from what was once just the AAU, includes the only Mike Lambert footage I'd seen, on and off throughout the vid, debate of bench-only vs. all-3 meets, Mendy, Capt Kirk, Coan, many from the beginning up till a few yrs ago.

The part with Waddington and Moran runs roughly from 8:00 - 12:00

P

powerdoc

Nov 8, 2012
What is everyone's impression of Powerlifter today? I am curious. Any suggestions on what kind of articles lifter's want to see? I will be writing regularly for them so your input is appreciated.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
far as I know, FLEXjs is the only subscriber here, at least the only one to declare himself, BUT, there are a few hardcore PL folk who may also provide you with ideas . . . .

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
What's on the cover sounds better than the other options ( Mark Bell talking about himself, crossfitters, and only covering his gym meets)......

But until I hear more feedback I'll spend my $46 this year on a steak dinner.

I'm also at a little different place in my lifting than most guys. If I want to know what Westside is up to I'll go train there for a week. If I want to know how a meet went I'll call the director or a buddy who competed..... I've been around long enough to be able to do that, so it takes a lot for a magazine to really make me want to spend my money on it.

kyle grey

kyle grey

MuscleHead
May 15, 2012
Guess there's several "right" answers, depending on what federation, what meet, witnesses, etc. I had posted somewhere that I thought Dave Waddington, complete with bloody nose, was the first to do it in the early 1980's, if you discount the anecdotes about Paul Anderson 20 or more yrs earlier, but this was at a local meet.

Lee Moran came later, BUT his was at the USPF Nationals, so you pay your money and take your choice on those two I guess. All this plus actual footage of the amazing story porky tells about Lee is in a vid I just stumbled into on youtube. I'll try to post a link, but I have bad luck with posting youtube links sometimes. Just in case, the way I found it was to key "powerlifting documentaries" into the youtube search. This one is 1 hr and 42 min long, dammit, and has the specific title "Power Unlimited." If you have any interest at all, I guarantee you'll like most or all of it. Starts with the pre-PL roots of powerlifting, explains how and why we got so many federations from what was once just the AAU, includes the only Mike Lambert footage I'd seen, on and off throughout the vid, debate of bench-only vs. all-3 meets, Mendy, Capt Kirk, Coan, many from the beginning up till a few yrs ago.

The part with Waddington and Moran runs roughly from 8:00 - 12:00

Here's that video you refer too it's called "Power Unlimited " I watched it last night and I'm sure others will enjoy it as much as me !!

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
LMAO. Kyle, THANK you. I'm the one who first mentioned this here afaik, about 2.5 YEARS AGO, geez. Then, I forgot all about it, just went and spent my 1:42 there again, great stuff. Grateful for the people who created it, and the people who helped by contributing stills and vids and anecdotes to it. So many all time greats, AND accomplished lifters who will never quite make it to great, but who illustrate the mindset whether it be PL, OL, or Strongman.

Still left out a lot of other greats, only criticism I would make (that's an 'lol') is that this should be made into a sequel, or maybe a weekly series or something. Easier for me to say than for the creative ones to do, and with little chance of the financial reward that the Pumping Iron guys saw. I can dream, and appreciate this one.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic