Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

New PowerLifting Magazine

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
The only PLUSA mag that I have to this day is the one with Anthony Clark on the front cover.

When I became homeless, I lost a lot of goods but I still have that mag because I got to meet Anthony before he passed away.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
That was crazy, I always used to think some nationalities or ethnic groups were more likely to produce beasts in the iron sports than others, and what was he, Cambodian or something? A definite anomaly.

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
Anthony Clark was of Filipino descent.
And what was tripped out; his parents weren't that big!

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
I remember PLUSA..

I'm old school. Have met and trained with Doyle Kennedy. Use to compete in his shows. I remember Fred Hatfield...aka Dr Squat. Talk about some amazing gifted athletes and pioneers of the sport.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I remember PLUSA..

I'm old school. Have met and trained with Doyle Kennedy. Use to compete in his shows. I remember Fred Hatfield...aka Dr Squat. Talk about some amazing gifted athletes and pioneers of the sport.

Every now and then, someone hits one of my trigger points . . . . . I remember when the quest was on for the first (official) 1000 squat, there was some confusion as to who did it first under whose rules, and DK was one of the first to be discussed with Hatfield, maybe one or two others (ok, I only "half-remember, sue me). What I DO remember with clarity was that photo of Kennady squatting, with his Dave Draper hairdo, with a little river of blood coming from each nostril, and,

THAT was my introduction to the concept of "hardcore."

Memo to self: get yer facts straight dumbass. The guy I was thinking about was Dave Waddington, not Doyle Kennady.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Don't forget that Doyle was the first to pull 900+ in front of international judges. The man was a MONSTER puller.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Who was the first to squat 1,000? What ply was it?

Melanichev was the first 1000 pound raw squat right?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Who was the first to squat 1,000? What ply was it?

Melanichev was the first 1000 pound raw squat right?

Technically Robert Wilkerson squatted 1000lbs raw back in 2011 but the squat was high. There's footage of the squat. He did it in the SPF = squat pass fed.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
First to squat 1000lbs was Lee Moran in a shitty squat suit back in 1984 in USPF senior nats.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I don't compete SPF - but Wilkerson's squat was legit. If you saw him in person you'd understand. He's legitimately got well over 40 inch legs. The guy is maybe 6-8 inches shorter than me and ( I weigh 330, mind you) makes me look like a baby. He's the biggest guy I've seen since Garry Frank's prime. With how big he is everything looks high from the front. A few guys I know were there and called it legit - all die hard APF guys.

Rob Wilkerson had the first raw 1000, Malanichev has the highest now with 1014 or 1008, something like that.

Lee Moran had the first G in a meet ever - old school single ply gear and by far the most insane story of any squat ever taken.
He opened at 945 and passed out, spotters miss the weight and he gets stapled.
He gets 945 on his 2nd with a bloody nose.
On his 3rd he comes out of the hole with 1003 and as he's locking out the collar breaks free and all the plates on one side dump - flinging the bar off of his back.
He gets to retake the weight because of the equipment failure and he gets it......

The guy was a badass. 5'8" at most, 330 and a Hells Angel......

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
So I got my June/July issue and that was it.

Nothing since. WTF man?

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
So I got my June/July issue and that was it.

Nothing since. WTF man?

If you go to that page I had in my OP, there is a pic of what I suppose is the current issue, and they call it Sept/Oct, what happened to August?! There is also contact info if you haven't done that yet, a 1-877 phone and a PO Box in Colorado. Note all that is from the page that is specific for Powerlifter Today mag. If you instead go to powerliftingwatch.com , that website sells various things, incl. this mag AND another one called Power. The handful of cover pics for Power sure look like PL specifically, not just misc. strength training, which would make the 2 mags awfully redundant imo.

Sounds like it's definitely worth checking out.

I was all excited when Power magazine came out. Then, over the course of my year subscription I watched it change in to a big slingshot advertisement with nothing but coverage of Bell's meets and his buddies.

As soon as Bell pussied out of multi ply the whole magazine went ( not just raw, but ) SUPER RAAAAWWWW...... would never waste money on his crap again. Hopefully this provides a good balance and coverage like the old PLUSA had.....

So, presumably the Power I mentioned above is the Power porky is talking about?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic