Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Steroid abuse and death..................coincidence ??? Randy Savage and Wrestlmania

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
Link: Over 25 percent of the performers from Wrestlemania VII have died - Y! Sports Blogs - Yahoo! Sports

Over one-quarter of the performers who took part in 1991's Wrestlemania VII have died, a wrestling website noted in the wake of the death of "Macho Man" Randy Savage.

The Wrestling Observer newsletter discovered that 14 of the 51 performers at the event have died in the past 20 years, with many of the deaths attributed to drug use (link is subscription only).

The list of wrestlers who have died since 1991 include some of the biggest stars in the sport like Savage, Andre the Giant, Miss Elizabeth and The British Bulldog. Causes of death include suicides, murder and heart attacks, some the result of years of anabolic steroid use. Savage died last week after suffering an apparent heart attack behind the wheel of his truck. His ex-wife, Miss Elizabeth, passed away after overdosing on a variety of drugs in 2003.

Looking at the list is a sobering reminder of the realities of a make-believe sport like professional wrestling. Not all of the men and women listed played a part in their own demise; referee Joey Marella was the victim of a car crash that occurred when he was driving home from a match.

As wrestlinginc.com points out, none of the 44 starters from the Super Bowl played in 1991 have passed away and only two of 44 boxers who held a championship belt that year are gone.

At 58, Savage made it nearly a decade longer than some of his deceased colleagues.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
very interesting

For people to honestly believe that there are no long term side effects from prolong AAS use are just pure ignorant. Like anything that is ABUSED there are consequences. I truly do believe that low cycles at reasonable doses are manageable long term with little to no long term adverse side effects. This is all based on observations and I am not stating it as scientific facts. From the people I knew on the boards to the wrestling stars and body builders many many are dead at way to young an age.

I have to find it but I believe there is a stat that shows body building is the most lethal sport for early death. Main reason: AAS
But you know how the argument goes, "there is no death certificate that states cause of death: AAS"

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
what that neglects to mention is the lifestyle choices these people made. Most if not all were major substance abusers. From massive amounts of cocaine and booze to painkillers and other opiate addictions.

If you read brett hart's book he says the only thing more rampant in the wrestling biz than AAS was coke, painkillers and booze....and not necessarily in that order....It depended on the individual's drug of choice.

So again...I would be willing to bet these choices had alot to do with these induviduals deaths....certainly more tha AAS.

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
what that neglects to mention is the lifestyle choices these people made. Most if not all were major substance abusers. From massive amounts of cocaine and booze to painkillers and other opiate addictions.

If you read brett hart's book he says the only thing more rampant in the wrestling biz than AAS was coke, painkillers and booze....and not necessarily in that order....It depended on the individual's drug of choice.

So again...I would be willing to bet these choices had alot to do with these induviduals deaths....certainly more tha AAS.

Valid point but there are a ton of dead BB'rs that were not into the recs as you mentioned.
The wrestling industry is ripe for partying and drugs, not as much in the BB'ing world and we know a bunch of young dead guys from the boards.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
For people to honestly believe that there are no long term side effects from prolong AAS use are just pure ignorant. Like anything that is ABUSED there are consequences. I truly do believe that low cycles at reasonable doses are manageable long term with little to no long term adverse side effects. This is all based on observations and I am not stating it as scientific facts. From the people I knew on the boards to the wrestling stars and body builders many many are dead at way to young an age.

I have to find it but I believe there is a stat that shows body building is the most lethal sport for early death. Main reason: AAS
But you know how the argument goes, "there is no death certificate that states cause of death: AAS"

i have seen horses drop dead from consequences of excessive steriod use so i think that there is a lot of validity to this point. as well as uglynewfs point in that there are other things and substances involved.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
all very valid points made in this thread. the problem with AAS is that the government will not allow any long term studies to base any fact on so we are forced to rely on observations and "bro-science" to determine a lot of these factors. but as stated, there have been too many untimely deaths amongst these boards alone and in bodybuilding, pro wrestling, and professional sports in general to ignore the signs.
i'm no hypocrite. i'm not ashamed of my AAS use or history. but if there's one thing "bro-science" HAS taught me, its moderation. and i'm not bashing anyone either. some of my closest bros push their limits with AAS use and borderline abuse, as have i. as long as you know what you are doing and recognize the long term risk involved or even the CHANCE of long term effects it could have then do your thing. as long as you are not going into it blindly or being naive about it.
stay safe my friends...

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
The point is a high dose of anything is bound to kill you or have long term negative effects. It's always the people who abuse the drugs that we hear about. I've never seen news on the front page, "Man running TRT dose dies of heart attack"...why? because it just doesn't happen except for the rare case. You're much more likely to die from a shark attack if you're in the water, rather than observing from the beach.

The biggest problem is that steroids are pshychologically addictive. You gain an inch in your biceps and your head starts to get bigger (figuratively, of course). That can lead to a huge spiral out of control, just like with any other drug. Cocaine is not useful to the average person in low doses a couple times a week. Can you say the same about testosterone?

Ms.Wetback

Ms.Wetback

VIP Lady Member
Sep 27, 2010
The point is a high dose of anything is bound to kill you or have long term negative effects. It's always the people who abuse the drugs that we hear about. I've never seen news on the front page, "Man running TRT dose dies of heart attack"...why? because it just doesn't happen except for the rare case. You're much more likely to die from a shark attack if you're in the water, rather than observing from the beach.

The biggest problem is that steroids are psychologically addictive. You gain an inch in your biceps and your head starts to get bigger (figuratively, of course). That can lead to a huge spiral out of control, just like with any other drug. Cocaine is not useful to the average person in low doses a couple times a week. Can you say the same about testosterone?

And that is why I stated: "I truly do believe that low cycles at reasonable doses are manageable long term with little to no long term adverse side effects."

Interesting read regarding OTC substances as well relates imo to AAS usage:

Many people believe that anything available over-the-counter is automatically safe, but all medications have their risks. Acetaminophen (AAS?) is a very safe drug, yet excessive amounts are still dangerous.

Acetaminophen and Liver Damage

In appropriate doses acetaminophen is a very safe drug , as long as it is not combined with alcohol. The problems arise when either taking an overdose or large doses in the long-term. Both of these can lead to liver damage.

Acetaminophen is in fact the leading cause of acute liver failure. There are about 450 yearly deaths from acetaminophen overdose in the United States, about half of them unintentional. Some lucky ones are saved by quick liver transplants.

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
Valid point but there are a ton of dead BB'rs that were not into the recs as you mentioned.
The wrestling industry is ripe for partying and drugs, not as much in the BB'ing world and we know a bunch of young dead guys from the boards.

True but BBing has never been really been a healthy lifestyle choice either.

In the end. and as everyone seems to be agreeing here...Too much of anything is never a good thing.

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
everything in moderation kids...

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010

The biggest problem is that steroids are pshychologically addictive. You gain an inch in your biceps and your head starts to get bigger (figuratively, of course). That can lead to a huge spiral out of control, just like with any other drug. Cocaine is not useful to the average person in low doses a couple times a week. Can you say the same about testosterone?

You obviously don't remember Barry Bonds gains in cranial girth as his baseball career progressed :p

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic