Latest Member
RalfKelleh
What's New?

Day Trading or Long term?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Here's one to keep a close eye on, big potential for gains. MNKD - Mannkind has received a unanomous approval to apply for approval for a inhaled Diabetes treatment, both type 1 & 2. If this gets FDA approval it could go sky high and it looks like it will.

I looked at it, and I've noticed lots of current ownership and recent buying in the last couple of quarters from big institutions like Fidelity, Vanguard, and Blackrock. And the founder of the company just took a new ~ 25% stake in the company in Q1. It may be worth a shot.

Don't believe the hype. Even if it's approved the stock usually pops and sells off.

What I usually do with these biotechs I come across that have something promising in trials or are going to the FDA for a decision is to buy both puts and calls on them that are a pretty good ways out as long as I can get them at a price I can live with. When it's a low priced stock like this one, I usually buy more calls than puts, since it's much closer to zero than it is to the $15 - $20 + price it will likely briefly swell up to IF it gets approval.

Or if you feel better than average about the company itself, you can buy a small long stock position with a fairly long range put - if the approval goes through, the stock shoots up and you sell most or all of it ASAP after it's announced most likely outside of market hours, and you're only out the small premium you paid on the put that you won't exercise.

If the approval is declined, you have downside protection with the put and either don't exercise your call or sell out of your small losing long position ASAP.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I looked at it, and I've noticed lots of current ownership and recent buying in the last couple of quarters from big institutions like Fidelity, Vanguard, and Blackrock. And the founder of the company just took a new ~ 25% stake in the company in Q1. It may be worth a shot.

What I usually do with these biotechs I come across that have something promising in trials or are going to the FDA for a decision is to buy both puts and calls on them that are a pretty good ways out as long as I can get them at a price I can live with. When it's a low priced stock like this one, I usually buy more calls than puts, since it's much closer to zero than it is to the $15 - $20 + price it will likely briefly swell up to IF it gets approval.

Or if you feel better than average about the company itself, you can buy a small long stock position with a fairly long range put - if the approval goes through, the stock shoots up and you sell most or all of it ASAP after it's announced most likely outside of market hours, and you're only out the small premium you paid on the put that you won't exercise.

If the approval is declined, you have downside protection with the put and either don't exercise your call or sell out of your small losing long position ASAP.

Strategy. A note to consider also, 1 in 12 Americans use some form of diabetes meds, 100 million Chinese alone. It's a multi -billion dollar industry and for many needles, pumps etc are not a viable option. After watching this and it's attempt in 2011 I think it's prime. It's receiving cash influx, ratings \attention and after a meeting with the FDA it seems they are looking for a production and distribution facility. Seems prime for a 'partner' or a buyout.

Diabetes industry is huge, I don't think this is a pump n dump stock Dex. I think Biotech is one of America's Last Stand sectors

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
I'm not disputing Diabetes isn't a big industry but you already have huge competition. IMO if you're looking for big bio tech stocks look for Orphan drug approvals.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
MNKD was a good one to day trade. Usually a lot of volatility. Hopefully you grabbed a couple thousand shares, graniteman!

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
They got FDA approval. I had bought a little nibble for myself - 500 shares, sold 400 today. I'll likely hold 50-100 to see what happens longterm. These companies often get bought out eventually.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Seattle Pharma and Isis also have very interesting drug pipelines...

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
MNKD was a good one to day trade. Usually a lot of volatility. Hopefully you grabbed a couple thousand shares, graniteman!
made a tidy lil sum, sold @ $11.15

They got FDA approval. I had bought a little nibble for myself - 500 shares, sold 400 today. I'll likely hold 50-100 to see what happens longterm. These companies often get bought out eventually.
If they can't fund marketing , dist. which I don't think they can Pfizer and Merck have been on a buying spree. I hear da rumor they were looking atGILD but I don't see that happening.
I forgot to post up a lil gem I had found Cellectis CMVLF, Pfizer partnered with on cancer treatments. Hit a high of $17 +, think I'm going to hold on for a bit could be a $20 plus stock.

Happy Huntin Gents, JR I have to get over to Admins board with you, been too lazy !!

danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
This is a good thread thought I'd see if I could fire it back up. I invest in a retirement account, company sponsored and match 401k and also buy Brk.b through work with no purchase fees. Recently though I slotted myself 200$ to day trade penny stocks with and it's been a learning experience. I'm reading and studying as much as possible. I lost the first 200 on three trades after making a small amount I had a portfolio worth about 25 bucks. I funded myself another 200 last week, I was able to get in on AWGI at .024 and sell 3 hours later at .058. Today I got in on PNOW at .0016 and I'm holding it to see what it will do tomorrow at open. It hit a high of .0037 then tanked then came back up and closed at .0025 but the volume was around 31 million. If I'm lucky it may get near .005 and I'll make a nice little profit and should have around 1000 dollars to play with. It has been just as fun as a lottery ticket or slot machine and I'm learning a ton.

Rider

Rider

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 27, 2010
Blast from the past!

It's interesting looking at the stock tickers posted in the past when this thread was made versus where they stand today.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
To poor to mess with that schit

I did sell off a bunch of homedepot stock back in 90s

It split 2x

My Vanguard looks sweet but I try not to look at it but 1x a year
Cause daddy needs a new ride
Pay the house off
And geez still one more college to pay for

Who is viewing this thread?