Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Mediterranean diet

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Check your PMs brother. Let me know which method you want to make it and I'll send the recipe to you or post it here for everyone.

Brother Iron is correct, it's called Toum or Toom which literally translated in English means garlic. It works through emulsification which makes it more of a pasty consistency than a liquid or solid. I find it goes amazing with the rotisserie chickens you can get at the supermarket (pick the chicken from the bone, put it in some pita bread with the toum, and some veggies like lettuce and tomatoes and you have yourself a delicious and healthy sand which lol), chicken shish tawouk, any kind of kibbee, steaks and burgers, and even tried it wih deli meats. My uncle mentioned he uses it as a substitute for mayo in some recipes so I tried it with tuna fish. IF YOU DO THIS BE PREPARED FOR SOME KICKING BREATH LOL.

Let me know if there are more recipes I or Brother Iron possibly can hook you up with. I'm a fatass at heart and love food talk and sharing recipes lmao.

Post both ways if you dont mind.. I will be making some as soon as I am off my diet..

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Post both ways if you dont mind.. I will be making some as soon as I am off my diet..

As promised here's two different recipes and two different methods for making toum/toom.

You can use either a mortar and pestle (old school method) or a food processor (more modern obviously). Mortar and pestle takes much longer but you can get a better end result due to mashing the garlic better which releases the taste more.

Recipe 1:
3 heads of garlic (not cloves, the entire head)
4-5 cups of oil (normally use olive oil but any will work I think)
1 lemon freshly squeezed (could mix in the juice of a lime also)
1 tsp salt or to taste

Recipe 2:
2 cups of fresh boiled potatoes
7-10 cloves of garlic (Cloves for this one not heads)
2-3 tbsp of oil
1-2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
1 tsp labneh (strained yogurt) or mayo
1-2 tsp salt or to taste

Whether you use the mortar and pestle or food processor, the trick is to take your time. You cannot rush this or you'll end up with a liquid instead of paste. Also it's best if your ingredients are at room temp.

Take the the garlic and salt and mash the shit out of it in the mortar and pestle for several minutes. Or put in food processor for 10-20 seconds, stop it and scrape the garlic to the bottom, run again for 10-20 seconds, and repeat several times. If using the food processor you can add the salt at the end. With M&P the salt helps keep the garlic from jumping around when crushing it. The more you crush the garlic the better it'll turn out. If using the second recipe add the potatoes to the garlic from the beginning and follow the same steps.

Once the garlic, and potatoes if used, are ready, add oil slowly to the mixture little by little. Do NOT add all at once or it won't emulsify. If using M&P add some oil, mash the mixture for a couple minutes, add more oil, mash, repeat until all the oil is mixed in. If using food processor, once the garlic has been processed, you leave the food processor on continuously and add the oil little by little every 30-45 seconds working it in good.

The lemon juice can be added at the end in the same manner, little by little, or you can alternate adding oil followed by lemon juice, more oil, more lemon juice, etc.

Lastly you add the salt to taste.

If the flavor of garlic is too strong for you, you can add the labneh or mayo to help weaken the taste and it will also help keep the pasty consistency as well as give it a subtle color change. If you fukk up and it turns liquid the labneh and mayo SOMETIMES helps get you the paste back but not always. Other options include adding a raw egg or soy lecithin which are used as emulsifiers in the food industry. If those don't work you've got to start from the beginning and you added your liquids too quick. Also the amount of oil you'll need will vary with the starchiness of the potatoes if using recipe 2. Potatoes with a higher starch content will need more oil than less starchy potatoes

This can be used as a topping on anything really from meats, to chicken, to kibbee, chicken shish tawook, chicken shawarma, burgers, etc.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
There is a Lebanese restaurant in St. Gabriel, LA that I love to go to when I visit. Unfortunately it is typically only once a year, but I always make sure I go. Really good stuff so any recipes thrown out would be appreciated.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
There is a Lebanese restaurant in St. Gabriel, LA that I love to go to when I visit. Unfortunately it is typically only once a year, but I always make sure I go. Really good stuff so any recipes thrown out would be appreciated.

Let me know which dishes you like and I'll post up some recipes :)

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Wow that place looks awesome. Prett good menu and selection also. We have a huge Lebanese population by me and even a Lebanese cultural center but very few restaurants. My uncle is the owner of one so I'm always there getting some grub lol

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
It is pretty damn awesome food. Kind of funny that I tell people that I am going to Louisiana to get some Lebanese food. I bet you are always getting something good to eat.

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
It is pretty damn awesome food. Kind of funny that I tell people that I am going to Louisiana to get some Lebanese food. I bet you are always getting something good to eat.

I do eat a lot of Lebanese food but for me Spanish food is a tie. I got a thing for Spanish women and food lmao

D

danielrh

MuscleHead
Nov 19, 2013
I do eat a lot of Lebanese food but for me Spanish food is a tie. I got a thing for Spanish women and food lmao

Not familiar with Spanish food. I have to admit I thought Mexican at first, but I think that is my bias of living in Texas.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Not familiar with Spanish food. I have to admit I thought Mexican at first, but I think that is my bias of living in Texas.

Spanish food is nothing like Mexican food, the Spanish do not eat spicy food........on a side note, anyone wanting to sample Spanish girls and food I'll happily swap locations lol

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013

Mexican is good but I prefer Domincan and Puerto Rican. My girl is Domincan and makes some amazing dishes. Patacones with chicken and beef, yucca, rice and beans, arroz con pollo, mofongo, ensalada de pulpa, platanos maduros, pernil, empanadas, patelles, etc. Some really good foods if you haven't tried them. She lives in NYC, one of the boroughs actually, so there's a lot of Spanish food options in the area. I'm sure Mexican is much more prevalent in Texas though.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
As promised here's two different recipes and two different methods for making toum/toom.

You can use either a mortar and pestle (old school method) or a food processor (more modern obviously). Mortar and pestle takes much longer but you can get a better end result due to mashing the garlic better which releases the taste more.

Recipe 1:
3 heads of garlic (not cloves, the entire head)
4-5 cups of oil (normally use olive oil but any will work I think)
1 lemon freshly squeezed (could mix in the juice of a lime also)
1 tsp salt or to taste

Recipe 2:
2 cups of fresh boiled potatoes
7-10 cloves of garlic (Cloves for this one not heads)
2-3 tbsp of oil
1-2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
1 tsp labneh (strained yogurt) or mayo
1-2 tsp salt or to taste

Whether you use the mortar and pestle or food processor, the trick is to take your time. You cannot rush this or you'll end up with a liquid instead of paste. Also it's best if your ingredients are at room temp.

Take the the garlic and salt and mash the shit out of it in the mortar and pestle for several minutes. Or put in food processor for 10-20 seconds, stop it and scrape the garlic to the bottom, run again for 10-20 seconds, and repeat several times. If using the food processor you can add the salt at the end. With M&P the salt helps keep the garlic from jumping around when crushing it. The more you crush the garlic the better it'll turn out. If using the second recipe add the potatoes to the garlic from the beginning and follow the same steps.

Once the garlic, and potatoes if used, are ready, add oil slowly to the mixture little by little. Do NOT add all at once or it won't emulsify. If using M&P add some oil, mash the mixture for a couple minutes, add more oil, mash, repeat until all the oil is mixed in. If using food processor, once the garlic has been processed, you leave the food processor on continuously and add the oil little by little every 30-45 seconds working it in good.

The lemon juice can be added at the end in the same manner, little by little, or you can alternate adding oil followed by lemon juice, more oil, more lemon juice, etc.

Lastly you add the salt to taste.

If the flavor of garlic is too strong for you, you can add the labneh or mayo to help weaken the taste and it will also help keep the pasty consistency as well as give it a subtle color change. If you fukk up and it turns liquid the labneh and mayo SOMETIMES helps get you the paste back but not always. Other options include adding a raw egg or soy lecithin which are used as emulsifiers in the food industry. If those don't work you've got to start from the beginning and you added your liquids too quick. Also the amount of oil you'll need will vary with the starchiness of the potatoes if using recipe 2. Potatoes with a higher starch content will need more oil than less starchy potatoes

This can be used as a topping on anything really from meats, to chicken, to kibbee, chicken shish tawook, chicken shawarma, burgers, etc.

Enjoy!

Thanks bro! Think I am going to try recipe 2.. You the man.. :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic