Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Samson0692
What's New?

Anybody ever pinch nerves in their neck?

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Last week, I was doing barbell overhead presses with 225, and this fucking idiot was walking backwards/sideways talking to some other fucking poser and was walking right at the end of the barbell. I had just gotten to the top of the rep, and I looked his way in the mirror and said "HEY WATCH OUT!". He stopped and apologized and moved on, but when I turned my head and yelled while holding 225 over my head, something at the base of my spine just to the right of center, twinged and shot fire across my trap and base of neck. I tried to finish out the workout, but couldn't do anything without pretty severe pain. It's not in the muscle so I'm 99% sure it's not a pull or tear. I'm thinking pinched nerve, but a week later, it's still bothersome and is getting better very very slowly.

Anybody else ever have this issue, and if so, how did you deal with it and how long were you pained by it?

L

Lil Canada

May 10, 2011
I would start with a massage therapist and see if she can help that area out. From there if that doesn't help try a chiropractor to readjust that area properly in your neck. I have a pinched nerved in my neck and occasionally causes my hands to go numb. So far these have helped a little bit but just have to be careful with what you for awhile. Next best thing I could suggest is go see a doctor but I'd leave that as last result. Good luck with everything.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Funny enough, a doctor would be the cheapest option, as it is completely covered by my insurance, whereas a chiropractor and massage therapist would be out of my own pocket. That being said, it's always nice to have an excuse to get a swedish massage. Thanks for the feedback.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, actually same damn thing, fucking ignorant people.

What I did was Ice the area, went for a deep tissue massage, and stretched the area out. And I have never done Straight Bar Military Presses ever again.

L

Lil Canada

May 10, 2011
I'd skip the Swedish and go deep tissue. I get 2 hour massages for $78 plus tip and go every two weeks but I have a bad back and it helps out. Insurance should pay for chiropractor but massage therapy they usually dont. But cost wise a doctor trip would be the cheapest but I feel its not the best option for fixing it. Places by me offer massage for $29.99 for first time customers for a 1hr massage. Not sure where you are located but I'd try that route first. Dont let a doc try and give you pain pills or muscle relaxers b/c they just mask the issue and not fix it. Been on that shit for years to help me get out and do shit but working on getting off them. Good luck with it and if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm. Be glad to provide any first hand experience that I can for ya.

Youngstunna

Youngstunna

Trenja Turtle
Oct 21, 2010
I have had that happen and it almost feels like a electric shock, it will heal on its own

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Yes, actually same damn thing, fucking ignorant people.

What I did was Ice the area, went for a deep tissue massage, and stretched the area out. And I have never done Straight Bar Military Presses ever again.

I'm afraid I'll also be tossing them out of my shoulder routine from here on out also. Staying injury free is more and more important to me as I get older.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
a regular doctor woud be a waste of your time as they are just going to tell you to rest it and not to lift weight. and i dont know about you, but my time is more valuable than that. so i woud pay for the chiropractor, even though it costs you it is worth it. or take your antiinflammatories and apply some heat at this time as you want to increase blood supply to the area now and not decrease it after a week. have your wife massage it after you have heated it up!

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Thanks all, I'll give heat and massage a shot first, and go to a chiropractor in a couple days if it's still bothering me.

L

Lil Canada

May 10, 2011
Rotate the heating pad with some ice and go back and fourth. It should help. I know everyone is different but just heat or just ice has never worked for me. Rotating them both seem to help a little better. If there any massage envy around you they are the ones offering the specials I mentioned above. Im all about staying accident free and that is why I have to be very careful. I believe it was Mayo who helped me several years ago when my back took a big turn for the worse. Good luck brother and hope it gets taken care of.

Reactions: SAD
AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
rotating hot and cold are kind of counterproductive. ice at the time of injury because you want to decrease the blood flow to the area and decrease the inflammatory mediators thereby decreasing the immediate inflammation and swelling. after 3-5 days of ice, you want to start your heat therapy. why? because at this time what is done is done and you want to start the healing process by increasing the blood flow to the area and allowing the muscle to relax. ice will deaden the pain but it is also going to take away the blood that is trying to clean things up. and cause the muscle to contract, potentially making the pain worse again as it will keep the vertebrae pinched.

icing on chronic injuries as they are what they are and increasing the blood supply will once again bring in inflammatory mediators and make things hurt. so by icing you keep those out. but this is not a chronic injury but rather an acute injury. so you want some healing to happen. just my thoughts and how i treat such injuries in perfomance horses to get them sound faster!

Last edited:
L

Lil Canada

May 10, 2011
Makes a lot of sense. Great information all the way.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic