Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Cracking and popping wrists

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I didn't start competing in strength sports until I was 30. I'm 40 now and still holding my own competively. There's always a way around an " issue"
The one thing I've learned is to train smarter and listen to my body.

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
I didn't start competing in strength sports until I was 30. I'm 40 now and still holding my own competively. There's always a way around an " issue"
The one thing I've learned is to train smarter and listen to my body.

This exactly! :)

Janie

Janie

TID Lady Member
May 8, 2014
I'm gonna need loads of encouragement lol totally want my husband to be proud of me!

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Yeah it matters. She should question any advice given to her by any individual. She said she just started training. Would you have a girl who just started training doing free weights? If so I would be questioning you boss. And how the fack are you going to try and explain hand position to her over the internet?

Rest assured "free weights" are NOT the problem, period. The primary difference between FW and machine exercises, balance is mandatory in the former while less important in the latter.

Moreover because balance is less of an impediment in the latter, many people lift more OR believe the can, which is a predisposing factor for INJURY.

Regardless of the chosen weight training method, proper technique becomes critical to prevent injury especially joint stress or overload.

Ergo if it hurts LOWER THE WEIGHT!

Janie

Janie

TID Lady Member
May 8, 2014
I do feel safe and confident I have good guidance and I am starting low. Husbands parents were both proffesional and are still very into bodybuilding. They taught husband and he is training me. I still get the female guidance of mother in law plus lots of reading on here for the more up to date stuff. I asked about my wrists as husband didn't want to give me bad advice and it seems a little reposition on hands has made a lot of difference far less cracking and no popping. I'm really pleased about this and feel a lot happier now.
I've been really pleased with all the input on here even though it's caused a little bit of discussion here and there it's great to here all the different points of view . Going to get some wrist straps I think for support as time goes on .
It's all good folks and I'm really grateful :)

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
i do feel safe and confident i have good guidance and i am starting low. Husbands parents were both proffesional and are still very into bodybuilding. They taught husband and he is training me. I still get the female guidance of mother in law plus lots of reading on here for the more up to date stuff. I asked about my wrists as husband didn't want to give me bad advice and it seems a little reposition on hands has made a lot of difference far less cracking and no popping. I'm really pleased about this and feel a lot happier now.
i've been really pleased with all the input on here even though it's caused a little bit of discussion here and there it's great to here all the different points of view . Going to get some wrist straps i think for support as time goes on .
It's all good folks and i'm really grateful :)

awesome sauce!

Fanofiron

Fanofiron

May 11, 2014
I would suggest doing some wrist curls as a warm up with bar behind back. My wrists pop if I jump right into a forearm routine but if I do a few sets of lighter weight barbell curls behind back I get not pain or popping.
Also I suggest doing a band pull apart series for warming up the shoulders. Side laterals can ruin shoulders if the form isn't perfect. With both upright rows and side lateral raise the key is to lift or pull the elbows up. Don't focus on lifting your hands to raise the bar. Your hands are merely a means to hold the bar. Once u get the mechanics right u will say "oh I get what he means by lift from the elbows". The shoulder doesn't know where the wrist is only the elbow.
I also suggest a wide grip as well. I actually use a straight bar and with a wide enough grip they are fine. Too narrow brings more traps into play anyways.

While I do like upright rows please be careful with side laterals. U may look for a side lateral machine if your gym has. They create a fantastic pump and reinforce correct mechanics. Then when u transition to free weights u should fine it easier.

Janie

Janie

TID Lady Member
May 8, 2014
Some awesome advice on this thanks again all!
With a bit of repositioning it was a lot better but with wrist support/straps now in situ it was soooo much better I couldn't really feel any movement or cracking ! Maybe a dull pop once but one whole lot better , husband watched to make sure all movement was correct and it all just felt totally better amazing definitely happy I bought the supports they have come in for other things too! So do I just have really rubbish joints?
Is there anything I could take to help?
Many thanks !

Janie

Janie

TID Lady Member
May 8, 2014
Some awesome advice on this thanks again all!
With a bit of repositioning it was a lot better but with wrist support/straps now in situ it was soooo much better I couldn't really feel any movement or cracking ! Maybe a dull pop once but one whole lot better , husband watched to make sure all movement was correct and it all just felt totally better amazing definitely happy I bought the supports they have come in for other things too! So do I just have really rubbish joints?
Is there anything I could take to help?
Many thanks !

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
As I mentioned before - "life" can produce repetitive motion injuries. Consider how much time you spend in front of a computer, or using a mouse. What do you do that promotes flexiblity in your smaller joints and overall strength ? If you haven't really explicitly done much to focus or be aware of mobility & flexibility, IMO it doesn't take that much to just start experiencing stiffer joints as you get older The body simply can't heal as quickly as it did when you were producing optimal levels of all the "youthful" hormones. I may have mentioned - I was at my absolute peak in 2010 - I was 45 years old and had just won a national qualifier in women's bodybuilding w/ intent to spend the next year training for Nationals. A week after winning my show, a shoulder tweak I had done the week before the show blossomed into a really big ligament elasticity issue that I'm still dealing with, and literally every joint I ever had a pain in all decided to go to shit at once. Knees were tweaked, wrists hurt like a bitch, forearm tendonitis, really painful tendonitis at the bicep insertion, lower back, ankles. You name it, it hurt. With time off to heal, a lot of chiro / massage / therapy and a lot less heavy lifting, things are better. But I focus much more on mobility / flexibility warm up before I do anything in the gym and plan to incorporate a lot of yoga / pilates type stuff into my routine once I complete (yet another) cross-country relocation for my job.

It is never "too late" to start working your body the way it was designed to be used. I love this quote from Jack Lalanne: "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late." What you may find is that you need to spend a little more time warming up and not dive straight into lifting. This isn't a bad thing. I keep thinking of this guy I used to train with - he was a big guy, around 35 years old, long time weight lifter, played some football in HS. He was always bitching about something hurting. One day he goes, "I'm thinking about getting a hip replacement...." I looked at him, being 10 years older than him and having aches & pains, but at least fully manageable, and said "My MOTHER had a hip replacement... she's 75 and has osteoporosis issues...." Really? Yea, sure people take a beating in the stuff they choose to do, but when you're not 20 years old and don't have to worry about paying the mortgage and funding your retirement, its ok to do 1000 lb leg presses cold. But it's not an intelligent habit to form. Train smarter, not harder, and then you can also train longer. Ref the several bodybuilders in their 70s & 80s - and some of them started in their 60s & 70s, not their 20s.

One thing you will find most people in the bodybuilding community have is a great eye to the future and don't get hung up on where they are now. Everyone has to start somewhere, but as you do it, you also learn that the gym allows you to make a new PR, literally every day. Look forward to what you can do w/ consistency, persistance and the conditioning that comes with that, and you will continually be amazed at where you can go, as opposed to worrying about what you are "stuck with" now.

Janie

Janie

TID Lady Member
May 8, 2014
Thank you Sassy, the past year has been my most rubbish year for taking care of myself! I had a hard pregnancy and went on maternity leave from nursing towards the end of the pregnancy, I had terrible SPD before birth and couldn't stand of sit or move around with out pain along with adhesion pain I was a wreck. Then after having my baby by section was left with a foot long scar literally hip bone to hip bone that healed really badly . All this led to me been a lot less active and doing things much slower. This then led to weight gain and sluggishness. I never felt so unhealthy it's really upset me.
My husband and his family are super fit people and I just felt so fat and old ! I felt too old to get better (how stupid) but then my husband built us a gym and got me training, I absolutely LOVE training I feel a lot better and husband has worked me out a really strict diet now to keep my energy up but lose the baby and post baby weight. I am working on building the muscles up nicely so once the weight is off I will have a better toned figure.
But since starting this I've realised I would like to gain a lot of muscle and shape! I love the look of the female form with muscle it's awesome and powerful and strong. I also have already started to feel the benefit of having this level of fitness and how much better I can feel. I totally felt too old at first but I can see now I will actually end up feeling younger.
I'm aiming high all the time but husband is making sure I don't over do it. I can't weight to do some before and after pictures.
Thanks for all the advice :)

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Thank you Sassy, the past year has been my most rubbish year for taking care of myself! I had a hard pregnancy and went on maternity leave from nursing towards the end of the pregnancy, I had terrible SPD before birth and couldn't stand of sit or move around with out pain along with adhesion pain I was a wreck. Then after having my baby by section was left with a foot long scar literally hip bone to hip bone that healed really badly . All this led to me been a lot less active and doing things much slower. This then led to weight gain and sluggishness. I never felt so unhealthy it's really upset me.
My husband and his family are super fit people and I just felt so fat and old ! I felt too old to get better (how stupid) but then my husband built us a gym and got me training, I absolutely LOVE training I feel a lot better and husband has worked me out a really strict diet now to keep my energy up but lose the baby and post baby weight. I am working on building the muscles up nicely so once the weight is off I will have a better toned figure.
But since starting this I've realised I would like to gain a lot of muscle and shape! I love the look of the female form with muscle it's awesome and powerful and strong. I also have already started to feel the benefit of having this level of fitness and how much better I can feel. I totally felt too old at first but I can see now I will actually end up feeling younger.
I'm aiming high all the time but husband is making sure I don't over do it. I can't weight to do some before and after pictures.
Thanks for all the advice :)

Like I said, you gotta start somewhere. But once you get going, and if you find the thing that you like to do - gym, running, whatever, you'll find the 'look" is secondary because it will show up when you least expect it. Enjoy the time you spend doing it. I've personally found that there are only 2 things where I really am COMPLETELY in the moment - this is lifting & scuba diving.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic