Latest Member
Ethan7400
What's New?

lifting when pregnant??

Sedoj

Sedoj

TID Lady Member
Aug 27, 2013
My training partner is 29 weeks pregnant, there are a few exercises that we've swapped out as her pregnancy as progressed but we're not sure about squatting. She is a very fit 46 year old, this is her first pregnancy. Her doctor is aware that she is still teaching spin class as well as weighlifting. She's not trying to set new PRs or anything like that however she is not challenged by squatting 135lbs and would like to increase the weight.

I've never been pregnant so I have no experience with this however from what I can find on the internet I get the impression that as long as she's not on her back or in danger of dropping a weight onto her belly, she should be fine...

Any thoughts or advice from other fit moms?

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
hmmmm, I think think this is a personal choice question but the pressures squat put on the body, I wouldn't do them but that's just my opinion. It's not like she can't do them forever, why risk anything. :)

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Lifting while pregnant doesn't USUALLY cause issues, but with everything, if she is in a high risk category for everything, she will be an exception. At one time, it was thought lifting weights was really bad for pregnant women, but we now know it's generally ok. She needs to protect her back, because the bigger the bump, the more strain on the back and the more her center of gravity is throw off. Just tell her to pace herself, and if ANYHING doesn't feel right, stop immediately and follow up with her OB. Especially be careful on those squats. That belly might throw off her form.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
I would not do it. Anything that i would cause an injury to my hip flexors or lower back i would just not risk it. Baby more important then my muscles but that's just me.

Sedoj

Sedoj

TID Lady Member
Aug 27, 2013
Lifting while pregnant doesn't USUALLY cause issues, but with everything, if she is in a high risk category for everything, she will be an exception. At one time, it was thought lifting weights was really bad for pregnant women, but we now know it's generally ok. She needs to protect her back, because the bigger the bump, the more strain on the back and the more her center of gravity is throw off. Just tell her to pace herself, and if ANYHING doesn't feel right, stop immediately and follow up with her OB. Especially be careful on those squats. That belly might throw off her form.

Shortz, your comments about the extra weight in the front of her body shifting her center of gravity potentially throwing off her balance made me realize that if something were to happen during our squat set I may not be able to provide sufficient spotting and that really concerns me. Going forward it may be best to transition our workouts to machines, since they can be more easily controlled...

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Shortz, your comments about the extra weight in the front of her body shifting her center of gravity potentially throwing off her balance made me realize that if something were to happen during our squat set I may not be able to provide sufficient spotting and that really concerns me. Going forward it may be best to transition our workouts to machines, since they can be more easily controlled...

I think that's a great idea. Let her know that adjusted the workout for this short period of time isn't going to hinder her. It's ok to stray from squats in times like this. Perhaps she could end the session with high rep body weight squats too to help her feel like she's still doing the movement.

Give the hack squat a try too, and I recommend that you stay away from leg presses. Leg presses can also put a ton of strain on the spine.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic