Members
Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

lat pull down reverse grip

zackrock

zackrock

Sep 8, 2010
I do this and I always hear a crack in my bicep area or tricep area. Why is this?

Is there a benefit to doign it underhand vs overhand?

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
You should warm up more thoroughly before getting into the actual workout. When it comes to pull-downs, i only feel my back muscles work if I do wide-grip pull-downs with overhand grip or if i do shoulder width pull-downs with underhand grip.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Underhand involves the Teres Major to a greater degree and definitely the bicep more than overhand or wide grip. Underhand lat pulldowns are a staple in my back routine. I like the vertical stretch it gives me and I can really contract hard on it.

When you say "cracking" I think of bone... is it more like a snapping sound? like a tendon maybe? Like Reinheart says, make sure you are thoroughly warmed up before your working sets. But sometimes certain people just can't do certain exercises... Like I get a cracking and popping whenever I do upright rows w/ a barbell...

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
Not sure if there's any extra benefits but I get sore as fuck in my lats from these and also a little bicep pump too.

tyciol

tyciol

Apr 8, 2011
Underhand involves the Teres Major to a greater degree than overhand or wide grip.
First I've heard of this, would like to understand why this is, thought termaj did extension regardless of rotation?

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Dorian Yates has said in MD magazine that underhand grip lat pulldowns are the most important back exercise and should be done first. To him, wide grip pulldowns work the teres minor more than lats. Have you seen the lat on Dorian?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Is there a large difference from using the reverse grip as opposed to a row handle?

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
If you are trying for the Vshape you need to do pull ups and reverse pull downs,Just my opinion

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
Is there a large difference from using the reverse grip as opposed to a row handle?

I couldn't find a study on it. I would say consider preference first, it's important to enjoy the exercise I think, and variation considered as well.

To be honest I haven't use the triangle attachment in a long damn time. The rubbing between my arms and lats gets irritating and distracts my focus on feeling the contraction. I'll opt for the cambered attachment for a neutral grip lat pulldown and cable row.

biguglynewf

biguglynewf

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2010
I'm going with tendons being responsible for that sound. If it doesn;t hurt or become inflammed its probably not a major concern.

T

thenextbigthing

Sep 9, 2012
reverse grip pull ups. thats where its at

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic