Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon

Has anyone seen the physique girls for the USA?

narcissus79

narcissus79

Oct 17, 2012
Being accustomed to the NABBA & WFF physiques, I would agree with sassy. They're too chubby. I want to see shredded muscle, feathering, vascularity, ground shattering scary size!

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Shan and Sassy so I suppose (And based off of the comments and some other threads) And granted this is all purely subjective based on the show, I'm curious as to exactly what judges are looking for in a physique competitor?

As mentioned, it seems that every organization seems to be favoring figure overall regardless of the class. I'm hoping to compete in physique in September, and granted that DLB Is the quintessential for the competitor, it seems to vary so much for show.

I'm planning on lifting heavy and hard as This is really the core of my being, but I'm not quite sure exactly how vascular, lean, feathered, I'm supposed to be? I'm not quite sure where the line of "size" for bb comes in compared to physique?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some of the absolute monsters that compete in bb and there is no way that I have the time nor the desire to get to that level, I'm just curious, as I've seen some monsters also compete in figure.....

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Figure has always been an issue of whatever the judges feel like they want to see that particular day. Each judge will have his or her own idea of what figure should be. Some judges dont like shredded for this, while others want to see shredded.

Personally, I like seeing, well, a figure (a little more curves, perhaps). I feel that Chelsey came in too thick, but honestly, she's black, and that's really just part of her genetics. Her bottom half will be naturally heavier with a bit of body fat and her top will be a bit smaller.

shan

shan

TID Lady Member
Jul 1, 2011
It is really variable right now, for the NPC the guidelines they post aren't necessarily what the judges base their decisions off of LOL (that happens in other orgs too). Here is a link to the NPC basics: http://npcnewsonline.com/npc-womens-physique-rules-regulations/ but again, it is totally up to the judges how they make those calls. For instance, the overall figure winner was also the overall physique winner last year in multiple shows....how the heck that happens is beyond me, but it does.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Still nervous about the complete apparent subjectivity of the category.
Hello, you can't please everyone… I'm going to keep hitting it hard, see where I am about six weeks out, then decide which category to go into. Hopefully I will make the right choice.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Hello, you can't please everyone… I'm going to keep hitting it hard, see where I am about six weeks out, then decide which category to go into. Hopefully I will make the right choice.

At the amateur level, its always going to be that and probably skewed towards softer, but subject to whoever shows up. They are leaning towards conditioned w/ some muscle at the pro level, but the best way to describe it is simply 'best structure". Like I said earlier, if you're not in shape for a big show, then don't do it. Its a waste of time & money and you aren't ready. Physique has a lot of girls upsizing from Figure and in so many cases, again IMO, they need to learn the BB way of looking at life and spend a year or two off-season to grow. You don't get to build muscle and keep it if you keep competing.

RE: subjectivity - doubt that is ever going to change for any of the women's categories so you're better off focusing on the package YOU want to bring to the stage and don't spend your time guessing what the judges will like. If you focus on solid structure, balance w/ muscularity and conditioning that is appropriate to this category, you will do well. We see more long / lean muscularity like they used to have in Figure, as opposed to thick and full muscles in FBB. Overall the silhouette is going to be more Figure-ish than BB-ish. Any of the girls getting into Physique and relying more on the drugs to do it will need to watch their mid-section and make sure they don't start getting blocky. That is NOT a Figure-ish shape and will stick out in a Physique lineup. My other issue w/ many of the Physique girls is their awkward posing. I'm a huge hardass about quality of posing and shitty posing just screams - YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING UP THERE SO GET OFF THE STAGE. But that's just me. Make sure you have those poses nailed and don't just do gratuitous side chest or fly thru your poses too quickly so they aren't fully executed. Just like getting your best package to the stage, bring your best presentation. I have no idea how long some ladies practice posing, but I start immediately when I start my prep and work up to 20-30 min/day by show time. Its a great conditioning tool and by the time you hit the stage, it should be second nature.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011

At the amateur level, its always going to be that and probably skewed towards softer, but subject to whoever shows up. They are leaning towards conditioned w/ some muscle at the pro level, but the best way to describe it is simply 'best structure". Like I said earlier, if you're not in shape for a big show, then don't do it. Its a waste of time & money and you aren't ready. Physique has a lot of girls upsizing from Figure and in so many cases, again IMO, they need to learn the BB way of looking at life and spend a year or two off-season to grow. You don't get to build muscle and keep it if you keep competing.

RE: subjectivity - doubt that is ever going to change for any of the women's categories so you're better off focusing on the package YOU want to bring to the stage and don't spend your time guessing what the judges will like. If you focus on solid structure, balance w/ muscularity and conditioning that is appropriate to this category, you will do well. We see more long / lean muscularity like they used to have in Figure, as opposed to thick and full muscles in FBB. Overall the silhouette is going to be more Figure-ish than BB-ish. Any of the girls getting into Physique and relying more on the drugs to do it will need to watch their mid-section and make sure they don't start getting blocky. That is NOT a Figure-ish shape and will stick out in a Physique lineup. My other issue w/ many of the Physique girls is their awkward posing. I'm a huge hardass about quality of posing and shitty posing just screams - YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING UP THERE SO GET OFF THE STAGE. But that's just me. Make sure you have those poses nailed and don't just do gratuitous side chest or fly thru your poses too quickly so they aren't fully executed. Just like getting your best package to the stage, bring your best presentation. I have no idea how long some ladies practice posing, but I start immediately when I start my prep and work up to 20-30 min/day by show time. Its a great conditioning tool and by the time you hit the stage, it should be second nature.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
Thanks sassy… Your feedback is always insightful and appreciated.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was to golds gym and saw flyer for and and NABBA event; they didn't even have women's bodybuilding listed as an event! And, from an selfish age perspective, Masters was 30+ which made me cry little bit.

There was also a huge emphasis on men's physique, I don't even remember the word Bodybuilding actually being on the poster.

Bollocks.

I really did not want to hire a full-time coach, as I've been doing most of the stuff long enough and have a solid enough background they didn't feel it necessary; but as I'm undecided for category I suppose I'll have to train with someone periodically just to make sure that I have a look that I desire. Great now I think I'm a little too boxy to do figure for sure, and physique at that point maybe questionable as well. Most DEF not able to compete, and hang respectfully, at a bb level yet but a natural event, which obviously isn't going to happen....

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
FBB is not a popular category at all -- the only place you really see it anymore is NPC. My comments re: Physique were specific to NPC. I love the look they have in the European shows - long, lean, conditioned... I even prefer their posing to ours, but its just damn tough to do that in heels. I would tell you to attend some shows in the federation you are interested in and talk to people, or better the judges or promoters for their opinions. At the local / regional level it can be so different, region to region, what they are looking for - so the more you know about the preference in the area you would be competing, the more you can at least get an idea of expectations. In the meantime, continue to check the photos from various shows even in different federations, but still paying attention to the regional judging preferences to make a better guestimate. Some federations or promoters have their own websites where they post contest results / photos, and also RxMuscle's gallery & Musculardevelopment are the two best places for NPC & IFBB coverage.

And my best recommendation when you do set up a target show, where possible, try to line up a couple shows back to back so you can get a wider range of experience and feedback. It can really be a crapshoot sometimes and all you can do is bring your best to the stage and see what people think.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic