Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

APT Deadlifting Shin Guards

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
Has anyone used the APT deadlifting shin guards? Since I started using straps I’m having serious issues w/ bruising on my shins. They hurt like hell and I can’t keep coming to work on Mondays looking like I got beat over the weekend.

If not the APT guards, can anyone suggest anything else? I bought sox but they did not help.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Do you deadlift in shorts? Maybe wear some long pants/socks. Ive also seen guys in my gym actually put duct tape vertically on their shins to help with the scrapping. Those shin guards should help out, that would be probably your best bet..

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
Thanks IT. And thanks for not calling me a pussy...I got that twice today- once was by a crossfitter- that hurt. I do wear long pants, but my shins bruise easy. After I posted my husband said he will make me pads out of duct tape that I can stick on the inside of the socks. I'm hoping this helps.

uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks IT. And thanks for not calling me a pussy...I got that twice today- once was by a crossfitter- that hurt. I do wear long pants, but my shins bruise easy. After I posted my husband said he will make me pads out of duct tape that I can stick on the inside of the socks. I'm hoping this helps.

That should help in the meantime....I DL 4plates+ and don't bruise up, you might be a little closer than you should be if you're repping weights that are causing marks. Try the pads that your hubby made...that should help big time.

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
I thought I might be too close too, but I had my padner watch my pulls and she said they are good and straight- form is tight. It feels really natural too especially as we up the weight. The bar isn't tearing my skin up its just against the shin enough that it is bruising. It wasn't at the lighter weights though.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
$10 soccer shin guards from a sporting goods store maybe.
I used those for BMXing back in the day.
They have super small ones that first very tight around the shin
and don't go around the ankle. Just two simple straps.

Reactions: Joy
Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I bought some long Titan deadlift socks, do the job great. I don't wear them all the time (like in my avatar) but when I do I don't bleed... which is a nice bonus :D

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I bought some long Titan deadlift socks, do the job great. I don't wear them all the time (like in my avatar) but when I do I don't bleed... which is a nice bonus :D

Yeah, I would agree with MF. Buy some DL socks.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Yeah, I would agree with MF. Buy some DL socks.
Well the way I see it is that when you are pulling you want the bar to be as close as possible to your shins. Shin pads are only going to get in the way, and could even end up altering your technique as a result of you adjusting to them.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Well the way I see it is that when you are pulling you want the bar to be as close as possible to your shins. Shin pads are only going to get in the way, and could even end up altering your technique as a result of you adjusting to them.

I completely agree. You can see the scars on my shins. I pull the bar as close to my body as possible b/c I'm not pulling the bar just up. I'm pulling it up and back. Pads and anything that sticks out will just change the bar path and that will bring the bar out which translates to hips coming up higher and turning it into a 2 part lift. It could also lead to an injury.

If you're gonna pull.... do it right.

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
I completely agree. You can see the scars on my shins. I pull the bar as close to my body as possible b/c I'm not pulling the bar just up. I'm pulling it up and back. Pads and anything that sticks out will just change the bar path and that will bring the bar out which translates to hips coming up higher and turning it into a 2 part lift. It could also lead to an injury.

If you're gonna pull.... do it right.

Exactly what I was concerned about even w/ homemade pads. I bought socks- they are not deadlifting socks because frankly i wasn't sure they would make a difference. Are they made thicker in the shin?

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011

Exactly what I was concerned about even w/ homemade pads. I bought socks- they are not deadlifting socks because frankly i wasn't sure they would make a difference. Are dl socks made thicker in the shin?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic