Members
Latest Member
pbtom

Silva vs St-Pierre

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012
When Cowboys Stadium opened three years ago, Jerry Jones envisioned it as a grand showcase for champions. That’s a promise still unfulfilled by his NFL team, which has but one wild-card win in the $1.3 billion facility and missed the playoffs the last two seasons. But the domed stadium in Arlington, Texas, might very well soon have championships on display. Two of them.

Anderson Silva and Georges St-Pierre, the UFC champs at middleweight and welterweight, respectively, appear headed on a collision course deep in the heart of Texas.

Nothing is official, and nothing will be until after St-Pierre makes his return from knee surgery and fights Carlos Condit at UFC 154 on Nov. 17 in Montreal. But UFC president Dana White acknowledged on Tuesday night that if GSP handles business against Condit, a superfight with Silva likely would be next.

“These guys want to fight each other now,” White said during an extended interview on the Fuel TV show UFC Tonight. “If you’re a fighter and you’ve dominated as long as Anderson has, and you’ve been great as long as Georges has, you finally want to say, ‘I want to test myself. I think I can beat this guy.’”

Though Silva vs. St-Pierre is hypothetical at this point, White has given the matter enough thought to specify that the champions of his 185- and 170-pound weight classes would meet somewhere in the middle, likely at 180 pounds, and that the fight would take place at Cowboys Stadium. The facility seats 80,000 for football but has a capacity of 110,000, including standing room. A 2010 boxing match between Manny Pacquiao and Joshua Clottey drew 51,000.

Silva (32-4) is coming off a July TKO win over Chael Sonnen, his 16th straight victory and 10th title defense. St-Pierre (22-2) has won nine straight and defended his belt six times, but has not fought since an April 2011 unanimous decision over Jake Shields. He was training for a Condit fight when he injured his knee last December, requiring surgery.

So GSP is going from sitting on the shelf to jumping into perhaps the biggest fight in UFC history? Said White, “I think we’re pretty close.”

–Jeff Wagenheim

Regulator

Regulator

VIP Member
Jan 26, 2011
I hate to see this due to those 2 being my favorite fighters! Damn don't know who to go for if that were to happen!

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
Imagine the hype behind this. jeez

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Its going to be absolute murder if it happens. St pierre will look like as total bitch

B

Bionic Bill

Jul 27, 2012
if Pierre fights like he has been the last few years... drag em to the ground and hold em till the bell rings.. .then Silva will def whip up on him b/c he has a good ground game and can def strike from his back.

GSP knows how to fight, but the Jackson camp doesn't seem to jive with the old GSP and has him putting up boring fights just to keep the gold around his waist.

LB

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
This could be an interesting fight. Silva has shown that his ground defense is only average. If GSP focuses on taking him down and holding him down there, he could peck away at him for 5 rounds. Unfortunately, GSP doesn't have the punching power to finish him off. That could be a boring fight, but a win for GSP.

If GSP decided he'll stand and strike with the guy, I think Silva will eat him up. He's much bigger and longer, and is the most efficient striker I've ever seen. GSP ate Koscheck alive with strikes, but Silva's a different ballgame.

Reactions: SAD
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Thats a bad match up for GSP imo. Silva is to big, to much reah and is to powerful. Silva wants a super fight, then move up and fight Jones. Those two are very similar.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
Thats a bad match up for GSP imo. Silva is to big, to much reah and is to powerful. Silva wants a super fight, then move up and fight Jones. Those two are very similar.

You forgot to mention too talented. Lol. And id love to see silva and jones fight, theyve been ny 2 favorite fighters for years, but theyre already said they will never fight. Theyre friends.

B

Bionic Bill

Jul 27, 2012
Hell I lost all respect for Jones when he turned down this last fight. I know i know... was really short notice, but at least he had a training camp... his proposed opponent didn't. I think Jones is way too full of himself... Is he a good fighter? YES! but I still don't like him.

BigGameHunter

BigGameHunter

VIP Member
Jun 26, 2012
Im glad to see GSP is considering this. I hope he fights a couple of times before he commits, to see where he is with his knee. 2 of my favorites as well, cant call it I just want to watch it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic