Increasing Kcals to Break Through a Plateau??

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by woodswise, May 27, 2013.

1. woodswise

woodswise VIP Member

Has anyone else experienced this??? While dieting I hit a plateau and didn't lose weight for nearly two weeks, then I actually started to gain, even though I had reduced my Kcals more to about 3,000 per day (maintenance is around 3,800).

Well this weekend, I had a kind of cheat: I increased my food, but kept to my keto diet, so I ate close to maintenance, and bam I started losing weight again!

What's up with that???

I find it crazy how my body works sometimes. . .

2. Jerseytaylor

Jerseytaylor New Member

Kick started your metabolism again!

3. PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance Strength Pimp Staff Member

Are you cycling carbs in once a week or so? I can't remember what the damn thing is called... Begins with a P I think. But when you're on a keto diet, having a once a week carb fest basically resets that P hormone thing and the fat loss starts again... God dammit why doesn't my brain work?

4. J-dub

J-dub VIP Member

If our brains worked we wouldn't PL

• Like Like x 1
  5. BrotherIron

BrotherIron Oldschool Veteran

The "P" word you're think about is the pituitary gland. IMHO if you're going to run a keto you MUST have a refeed which would make it a CKD "cyclical" keto diet.

6. shortz

shortz Beard of Knowledge VIP

Do some reading on metabolic damage. If you keep dieting hard, and never do any kind of cycling, you can do some metabolic damage. Not only does this stop your weight loss, but it can actually hurt your thyroid, and eat up muscle mass. Its almost like the body wants to go in to starvation mode.

That said, cutting on 3,000 calories is pretty sick. You must be one huge mofo. Most people aren't able to cut on anything more than 2600 or 2700 calories.

Are you on cycle? Taking Hgh? Peps?

7. woodswise

woodswise VIP Member

Pituitary (I cheated, and read BI's post)? My trainer, who has never been wrong, says to stay on for the long run. He agreed with increasing Kcals, and that it would help re-set my metabolism. But he says don't cycle carbs, because it interferes with the ketogenesis. I keep testing his advice, and he has never been wrong yet.

I am thinking of taking a week or two off in the middle of my 18 weeks of dieting and just eat maintenance with carbs.

Yeah, I weigh 230 lbs on my bathroom scale which is about 235 in real lbs and am about 15% bf and possibly less. I am cruising atm on 125mg Test E and missing the cycle. But I need a break, having been on constantly for a year (my last two cruises were at 250mg per week test E). I wish I could afford HGH! Maybe this fall. . .

8. shortz

I should have clarified the term "cycling" in my post. I meant, calorie or carb cycling, not aas cycling. haha!

9. PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance Strength Pimp Staff Member

The P word I was thinking of was Leptin... Whatever.

10. shortz

LOL dude, that is me all the damn time. I am always forgetting important words.

11. woodswise

woodswise VIP Member

Bud, go back and look: you asked "Are you on cycle? Taking HGH? Peps?" I responded "I am cruising atm on 125mg test E . . ."

If you had asked "Are you carb cycling" I would have said definitely no. Every time I mess with carb cycling, I feel like sh#t and my trainer says "don't do it".

Maybe that was a Freudian slip! 'Cause those are quite different questions, LOL.

Don't worry, it's all good!

12. woodswise

woodswise VIP Member

I hate it when that happens, especially when it is an important name . . . I.e. someone whose name I should know cold, and I can't remember it cause I haven't seen them in a while! Grrrrr!